Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2015, 09:35   #16

Re: SAE 15w-40 instead of SAE10-30?

we`re getting pretty technical!! oil is oil, is oil! samo with an engine! i used #30 in older chevie 3 cyl that called for 5/30...not a problem...for that little engine in your boat, i would go to walmart, get some 'mobil 1', 10/30. get the amt of oil the engine uses, with a coupla spares...if synthetic scares ya, i have high regard for valvoline, 'all fleet' for diesels...great oil! get some #30 or 10/30, and never look back! also, delo, which is good oil, but way to expensive, now has gotten away form 15/40, and now pushing their new 10/30...D-E-L-O means...'diesel engine lubricating oil'...the tolerences in newer engines, are much tighter, hence thinner oils, like 0/30, etc...clyde
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 10:38   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalysis View Post
You shouldn't have any problems substituting with 15w-40.
You are essentially getting the same protection over a wider operating temperature window.
You are likely buying more performance than you need but keeping your lube inventory simple has merit.
Go with a well known marine lube brand like Chevron's Delo or Shell's Rotella and you'll be fine.
Paul

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Unless someone can give specific reasons against, I would suggest looking into Amsoil synthetic lubricants. I have used them in my engines, both gasoline and diesel for years and get much better performance and mileage from the reduced friction.
They make marine oils as well.

AMSOIL - Synthetic Oil, Motor and Engine Oil, Lubricants, Air Filters, Oil Filters and Greases
SniperSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 17:39   #18

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

The only issue with alot of boat motors is oil leaks, and synthetic will find those littoe leaks and make them seem worse. As for yanmar filters I had 5 defective oem ones I threw out. They use s9me kind of sealant around the base and there were big globs ready to separate and go into the motor.
Sticking with fram

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote