Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2014, 12:22   #1

Boat: 2015 Leopard 44
Sail Drive Scares

Newbie here doing some reading on sail drives as I have never been around them much.

I'm sure the Lagoon guys here are all familiar with this case: Lagoon Litigation » The facts, the litigation, the arbitration and issues. and have covered it in much detail.

My questions is whether any sail drives have the equivalent of a prop-shaft coupler that would have saved the day in this case?

Thanks.
John Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 12:40   #2

Re: Sail Drive Scares

By "prop shaft coupler": do you mean a shear-pin arrangement of the type found on outboard motors?
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 12:47   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Casey View Post
Newbie here doing some reading on sail drives as I have never been around them much.

I'm sure the Lagoon guys here are all familiar with this case: Lagoon Litigation » The facts, the litigation, the arbitration and issues. and have covered it in much detail.

My questions is whether any sail drives have the equivalent of a prop-shaft coupler that would have saved the day in this case?

Thanks.
John,

Not tons of experience with them, nor a Lagoon owner... BUT I have worked on them, know the construction... what do you mean by "Prop-shaft coupler" and saving the day....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 12:55   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
By "prop shaft coupler": do you mean a shear-pin arrangement of the type found on outboard motors?
Wow ! absolutely stunning that someone would fork over that kind of money on the "Terms & Conditions" that basically state .... give your money then piss off !
Old 15-03-2014, 13:10   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Casey View Post

Thanks.
John, I think if you picked up a lobster pot with a shaft drive mono then if the rope cutter fails you could do an equal amount of damage to the p bracket and shaft seal.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 13:13   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
John, I think if you picked up a lobster pot with a shaft drive mono then if the rope cutter fails you could do an equal amount of damage to the p bracket and shaft seal.

Pete
You are right about that. I saw a 36' mono sink after a similar episode. The strut was torn off the boat leaving a 12" hole.

Thats why I have a polyurethane drive saver on my boat.
Old 15-03-2014, 13:56   #7

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I have autostream feathering props on my saildrives and they have pressed in rubber hubs like outboard props. Not many outboards still use shear pins. They are supposed to slip should the prop lock up under power. I have wrapped up a couple of Lobster pots under cruise power in Maine with no damage, but the engine did stall. This feature is a function of the prop design, not the saildrive. I have no idea if the Lagoon was equipped with these kind of props, but given what happened to the Lagoon, it might be a really good idea.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 14:29   #8

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Our Volvo folding props also have pressed in rubber hubs that will slip/shear in that situation. In addition, the saildrive drive shaft spline itself connects to the Volvo engine flywheel through a rubber-hubbed damper plate that will slip/shear with overspec torque.

Our first line of defense is line cutters.

I don't know about the design of Yanmar drive/engine connections or their standard props.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 15:05   #9

Boat: 2015 Leopard 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
Andrew, not a shear-pin arrangement, but something like the "rubber-hubbed damper plate that will slip/shear" that Mark refers to.

I have even recently helped a boat owner put one back together after a careless passenger let a line foul the prop while he was reversing on a motor sailor. It was a v-drive, but I was thinking there must be a setup that will perform a similar protect function on sail drives.

The situation described on that site, kind of surprised me as actual able to occur, whether operator carelessness or not.

I'm seen/heard outboard props slip as Captain Bill describes with his pressed in rubber hubs. Perhaps an option box that this unfortunate owner did not tick.

Definitely something to be aware of.
John Casey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail