Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2010, 12:21   #1
cruiser

Saltwater Inlet ?

Hello, I am in the process of looking for and moving onto a boat in south florida..

the boat I am kinda looking at the owner claims there is only two things needing to be 'addressed'

1. SALTWATER INLET
2. BOLTS on the END of the DRIVE SHAFT

I am guessing the saltwater inlet just needs to be cleaned and all that, but I would like to know the value of getting it replaced by professionals as a worst case scenario

I am also guessing that the bolts at the end of the drive shaft is similar to a U-Joint replacement... I have never replaced one on a boat, but was wondering the same thing.. about how much would it cost to be done at a ship yard mechanic..

Thanks

bill
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 12:35   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
You really need to have a professional surveyor look at the boat prior to your purchase. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 13:19   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Can you be more specific about what he means by "addressed"?
Old 23-12-2010, 14:09   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
1. SALTWATER INLET
2. BOLTS on the END of the DRIVE SHAFT
There is addressing and then there is really addressing. Salt water inlet to me means a through hull. It sounds like it has a problem. OK, it could be replaced but the bigger question is Why? and the lessor question: "So what did the failure damage" They don;t fail without some collateral problems.

Bolts on the end of the shaft is the shaft coupling. Are they broke or just hopelessly rusted. Replacement means you also want to realign the shaft and look for all the assorted problems that could be there if it was also out of alignment.

With these two things that you sort of know about there is a list of the ones you don't know about. All boats can be purchased with problems associated with the boat. It's almost impossible not to. A Marine surveyor is going to find the worst ones and the depth of the problem and the side shows related to the problems most of the time.

If we assume the owner to be an honest person we can't assume they are a totally knowledgeable person. So it's really not a matter sizing this owner up to decide if they are truthful. You need a Marine Surveyor.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 14:40   #5
cruiser

I was told the boat was professionaly surveyed by a reputable / local professional.. and these were the items that 'werent addressed' by the owner

To me, addressed means fixed or replaced, not 'introduced'.. hehehehe

Andyes, I appreciate the comments about why the failure and what the 'indirect' problems maybe

There were other items on the report and i was told they were 'addressed'.

I have pictures from teh 'surveyor'. please have a look and feel free to make comments...

cal 2-29 pictures by Bbergovoy - Photobucket

Asking price is $7500

I really want the biggest boat i can afford is in the best condition and has the most ''stuff' on her..... i.e. auto pilot, ac/dc, refrig, pressure water, large tanks, newer engine, etc...

i want the 'biggest bang' for the buck, (like everyone?)

I expect to paint the boat, top and bottom, possibly on my own, or at least whatever i can ( I have done some high end painting of homes, cabinets, and furniture, along with 'faux' painting, sponge, rag, feather, and spray painting, house paints to laquers)

I will be living aboard and sailing the south florida areas, and as far as my boat and balls will allow...

thanks for the help

bill
Old 30-12-2010, 19:21   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Former owner of a 2001 34' Gemini 105MC Catamaran
Bill, this vessel truly needs to be professionally surveyed and have a sea trial conducted on this vessel before you proceed with a purchase.. That is the only way you will know the "totality of the curcumstances" regarding this vessel and how much you will have to put into it after you make the purchase.
SuenosAzules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 19:41   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
Bill, to clarify what others are saying, you should have a survey done by a professional that is paid by you, thereby one who works for you only- not the seller. That solves two issues, it negates a conflict of interest and ensures you are seeing a prepurchase survey and not an insurance survey (there is a difference).
Prerequisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 21:14   #8

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerequisite View Post
Bill, to clarify what others are saying, you should have a survey done by a professional that is paid by you, thereby one who works for you only- not the seller. That solves two issues, it negates a conflict of interest and ensures you are seeing a prepurchase survey and not an insurance survey (there is a difference).

That is great advice. You will also need an insurance survey regardless, so why not get a pre-purchase survey and kill two birds with one stone -- AND you will get expert advice you can rely on BEFORE you are fully committed to buying the boat. (You can't rely on the seller's survey, even if it was fairly recent).

Buying the boat is only where it starts. There will be a much longer list of repair and maintenance items once you find out more about it.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 22:50   #9

Being a pessimist by nature, I'd say that by BOLTS on the END of the DRIVE SHAFT the owner means that cluster of bolts called an ENGINE is in need of replacement. And by SALTWATER INLET the owner is indicating that every hull fitting and seam above and below the waterline leaks. But that's just my pessimism showing. Your experience may vary...
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 02:31   #10

From the 44 pictures meant to be of this boat for $7,500 - Some thing does seem right , too good to be true - apart from the Monkey's Face (which is Rusted) on the divided back-stay - this boat seems to be very clean even the engine.
I would contract your own condition and valuation Survey. A new thru-hull fitting will require to be out of the water (replace it during the time the survey is being performed)
Good Luck !!!
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 09:47   #11
cruiser

thank you all.. i appreciate the advice and words.. truly

I have contacted the surveyor.. he has a business in the area, and has been there for a long, LONG time... and is reputable.. I have no problems in the 'conflict of interest' issue, as the report is certified, and warranted by this guy... I spoke with him originally, and he is in the process of 'verifying' the condition since he looked at it last, and will advise me of any changes and will clarifiy the issues he noted before with approximate costs for repair/replacement...

the boat is still being used by the owners in some type of regatta or something .. so i know the boat is still safe...

Any offer i make will be contingent on the boat survey.....

so, thanks i appreciate hearing your thoughts... especially the ones that suggest it maybe too good to be true, kinda thing...

I am hoping that i am able to score something since i am losing something to that scenario as well...
Old 31-12-2010, 13:42   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The survey sort of gets you to the point. You'll pay for the survey and be able to walk away. It makes you think twice and lets you be wrong at a small price.

Number one rule of the survey is: Don't fall in love until after you are ready to close the deal. You get the chance to lose a little bit of money instead of a lot. It's easier if you are not head over heels in love. Look at it this way when you get married there ain't no survey! Don't buy boats like you get married - you don't have to.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 14:01   #13
cruiser

good analogy.. i will never get married again... but, I will not fall in love with a boat like that either...

I am not in love with this boat... it is, to me, the better deal... it needs a little more work then some of the others, but, it is a little bigger, and the price allows for me to do the things i want...

(the needing of work relates to the work i want, NOT NEED)

I want a new head... kinda mostly a personal thing, but for a couple hundred bucks, I will endure... I want the plumbing checked out for the head, and everything else... If possible, I will want bigger tanks for everything too... again. i am not sure if possible, nor the cost, and will probably not do much right away...unless feasible and practical... but the longer I can stay away from ports the better for me... but as stated originally, I will probably be moored in a slip for about 6 months or so until i get proficient and used to the change in lifestyle...

I am not going to pump a bunch of money into the boat right away or at any one point... and i hope to figure out the priorities as i learn everything else...

I am so 'anti establishment', as can be seen in some of my messages in the other area, that the less i have to do with authority, the better for them and me....

I will figure out how to be as self reliant as possible, and to find the places that make me happy.. and for the last decade the only 'constant' has been marine based... I love the oceans and reefs, and marine life... I pray they survive and last as long as humankind, in fact, i believe they are directly related with regards to survival, so it is just a matter of time to see whiich out survive which... (thats all for my personal beliefs/religion)

I am glad that my love is compatible with my need for warmth...I was afraid that my warmth was based on my economic status, and I am finding out that it isnt...