Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2021, 21:02   #106
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Sea Water and Oil - How Much is Too Much for an Engine (2QM20)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpnr View Post
This is such a brilliant thread. Thank you for all your efforts. ...we laughed, we cried, but most of all we cheered...!
Thank you for the kind words, I figged some of the usual suspects were (perhaps) reading it but it is great to know others are also reading it and even getting enjoyment from the thread.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 02:49   #107

Another update as some small progress has been made along with a headache on the way.

First job was (is) to pull the 'new' engine down. The front (PTO) pulley nut was tight, really tight but finally gave in when I used a 2m (6') lever on the 1/2" drive 600mm (2') breaker bar.

On to the flywheel nut (55mm). It was even tighter and I couldn't budge it with the same 2m lever. Oh well, I do have a 3m (9') lever, that will sort it. Yep, there was a loud crack as the torque came off the lever. Except it wasn't the nut undoing, I had twisted off the 1/2" lug on the breaker bar. I always knew this was possible but I hadn't expected to do it myself.

Time to Phone-a-Friend...

So good mate comes over with the right tools - a 3/4" drive breaker bar and 3/4" drive electric impact driver. Less than five seconds with the impact driver, the nut is off. Talk about using the right tool for the job - lesson learnt!

Next job - remove the flywheel. Previously I made a jury rigged puller and along with a good size hammer, the flywheel could be removed. This time I considered my recent lesson and decided to do it better and without resorting to the hammer.

So with some surplus mild steel bar (about 6"x3"x1") and two brand new 12mm hi-tensile bolts, I made substantial flywheel puller. Flywheel popped off without too much excitement. In fact, it took longer to drill the 12mm holes in the 1" bar than it took remove the flywheel.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4887.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	437.7 KB
ID:	236979  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 21-04-2021, 04:10   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
With particular attention to Hobbes' question.

“Plutarch thus questions whether the ship would remain the same if it were entirely replaced, piece by piece. Centuries later, the philosopher Thomas Hobbes introduced a further puzzle, wondering what would happen if the original planks were gathered up after they were replaced, and then used to build a second ship. Hobbes asked which ship, if either, would be the original ship of Theseus.”
We debate this all the time at almost EVERY Classic Yacht Symposium (formerly hosted by the Herreshoff Marine Museum, Bristol, RI https://herreshoff.org/, current status: uncertain).

At the last Symposium, there was even a panel on the Friday night including Halsey Herreshoff. There's nothing so happy as a bunch of wooden boat geeks hanging around discussing whether a wooden boat with almost all of its frames, planking, deck and fastenings replaced/scarfed/repaired is still the same boat...?

Ah, but that would be a MAJOR thread drift!

As for me, I eagerly await the answer to the
YSE8 or 2QM20 in my gentleman's yacht question...

Fair Winds All,
LittleWing77
President,
Wotname Fan Club
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 04:27   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post

As for me, I eagerly await the answer to the
YSE8 or 2QM20 in my gentleman's yacht question...

?????????

Wot is the question?
Old 21-04-2021, 09:32   #110

Quote:
As for me, I eagerly await the answer to the YSE8 or 2QM20 in my gentleman's yacht question...

Fair Winds All,
LittleWing77
President,
Wotname Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
?????????

Wot is the question?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I do have a 18' hull that I'm slowly refitting as a "river launch/gentleman's launch/putt putt/day boat". I had planned to use a single cylinder Yanmar YSE8 engine as it currently has the engine beds, shaft and prop that suits the YSE8. Part of me wants to fit the 2QM20 in lieu of the YSE8, but part of me doesn't!!!!

I did rebuild the YSE8 to better than original Yanmar specs, while the 2QM20 certainly won't be a 'zero time' engine.

Decisions, decisions...
That is the question, Wottie.
LW77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 15:57   #111

Quote:
That is the question, Wottie.
LW77
Oh, that question.....
Remains unanswered but I promise you that you will be the first to know Madam President; well second anyhow, I'll be the first!

Assuming I remember the question....

Tags
2qm20, engine, oil, water