Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 13:31   #1

Boat: Hullmaster 27
sea water in coolant

my engine has been very slowly consuming coolant ... I took apart the heat exchanger today, and found a damaged o-ring that I think must have caused a leak between the raw water and coolant sides.

however, the coolant side is full of scale and white gunk. usually when servicing the heat exchanger the tubes are pristine ... this is not scale built up on the seawater side, but in the coolant reservoir.

I guess my question is ... is this something I just clean up and put back together ... or should I panic and get a professional to sort it out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240829_132336839.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	293580  
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 13:44   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: sea water in coolant

It is not usual. Its likely due to salt. I'd use a pressure washer to see if it knocks the gunk off, then maybe run the engine with coolant flush.

While you have the heat exchanger out, test to make sure all the tubes are patent.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 13:46   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
my engine has been very slowly consuming coolant ... I took apart the heat exchanger today, and found a damaged o-ring that I think must have caused a leak between the raw water and coolant sides.

however, the coolant side is full of scale and white gunk. usually when servicing the heat exchanger the tubes are pristine ... this is not scale built up on the seawater side, but in the coolant reservoir.

I guess my question is ... is this something I just clean up and put back together ... or should I panic and get a professional to sort it out?

The calcium coagulated the organic inhibitors. You will need a full flush of the motor as well. Hopefully it has not been long enough for the chloride (salt) to do serious damamge. I would do it twice, followed by fresh water. This is exceptional. I would then change the coolant again in the few months.

[My day job for decades was coolants formulation, including one patent. I am not fear mongering.]
Old Today, 14:04   #4

Boat: Hullmaster 27

when you say flush the motor "as well" ... is that something in addition to flushing the coolant system?
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:20   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
when you say flush the motor "as well" ... is that something in addition to flushing the coolant system?

Same thing.

Tags
coolant, water