Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2010, 05:49   #1

Seagull Engine for 1913 Gaff Rigged Racer

I have been investigating the feasibility of fixing an outboard to the port side of my Gaff rigged day racer. Wanting to stay as traditional as possible I have been advised Seagull used to offer a deck fitting.

Apparently the fitting is discrete and attached to the deck - owners can easily lock the outboard in place.
I have been searching the internet but discovered no reference and wondered if anyone might be able to offer some advice?
Roundrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 06:10   #2

Boat: Westsail 32
By the port side I am assuming you mean the port side of you boats transom? Over the years there have been several manufacturers of outboard motor brackets. The style and type of transom as well as weight of the outboard will usually determine what type can be utilized. I understand the desire to maintain the traditional appearance of your "Gaffer". The Cape Dory company used to have a nice bronze bracket for their smaller sailboats (Typhoon) that might be nice. If you could post a picture of your boat I might be able to stear you in the right direction.

CB
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 06:32   #3

CB
Thanks for the quick response.
(http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...p?i=6375&c=515) - she was built in 1913 and I have a large counter stern. It would need to be very discrete as 9/10 I can sail back to the mooring unaided.
Old 19-01-2010, 07:15   #4

My pleasure. regarding your transom it is about what I figured. The bracket I am thinking of is very small and allows the motor and a good part of the bracket to be removed and stowed. I will try to find some pictures
Old 19-01-2010, 07:17   #5

Thanks - much appreciated.

p
Old 19-01-2010, 07:23   #6

Was very easy to find , I love the internet for sourcing parts, etc. Attached the picture of the very traditional, very simple bracket made by Spartan, very high quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spartan Bracket.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	12715  
Old 19-01-2010, 07:27   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Beautiful boat Roundrobin. Do you have the seagull already and which model? I have an old Seagull 5hp I used for over 25 years that ran forever. Simplicity at its best.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 08:03   #8

Look here. This is a link to the wooden boat forum. And a thread about this very thing.

http://url2it.com/btes
RGGrenier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 08:35   #9

Boat: CS 36t
That is a nice looking boat. I like the CD brackets that cburger mentioned but I question how well they would work with your long overhang. For one, you would have to climb out of the cockpit to start the engine or change the throttle setting. In addition, having an outboard hanging so far back there would have some problems with swamping and possibly boat trim.

Have you looked at the brackets they make for regular double ended canoes that hangs the outboard off one side? You might be able to use one of those for inspiration and build your own out of stainless(or have a local welder do it). The biggest issue that I can see with this is that you might have to remove the outboard and store it in the cockpit when sailing in a lot of breeze.

Good luck.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 09:03   #10

CB

Thanks - That looks like just what I'm after I'll probably need to make it up to ensure correct reach etc.

Many many thanks

p
Old 19-01-2010, 09:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Beautiful boat Roundrobin. Do you have the seagull already and which model? I have an old Seagull 5hp I used for over 25 years that ran forever. Simplicity at its best.
Thank you Tellie

Couldn't agree more - I have access to a number - was thinking about the Century it will have to be a long shaft, I probably need about 4hp max. Its important to try and keep the weight down as much as possible. Any recommendations?
Old 19-01-2010, 09:17   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGGrenier View Post
Look here. This is a link to the wooden boat forum. And a thread about this very thing.

http://url2it.com/btes
Thank you thats a very useful article not sure I like all of the solutions but very good reading and some good advice.
Thanks
Old 19-01-2010, 09:23   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by klem View Post
That is a nice looking boat. I like the CD brackets that cburger mentioned but I question how well they would work with your long overhang. For one, you would have to climb out of the cockpit to start the engine or change the throttle setting. In addition, having an outboard hanging so far back there would have some problems with swamping and possibly boat trim.

Have you looked at the brackets they make for regular double ended canoes that hangs the outboard off one side? You might be able to use one of those for inspiration and build your own out of stainless(or have a local welder do it). The biggest issue that I can see with this is that you might have to remove the outboard and store it in the cockpit when sailing in a lot of breeze.

Good luck.
klem

Thank you for your reply and compliment on the boat.
I dont want to place the engine on the counter - rather on the port side nearer to the helm. Its for very occasional use - I like to the challenge of sailing just by sail but we occasionally run out of wind!
I'll look at canoes and see what they do.

thanks again.

Tags
engine, racer