Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2024, 13:05   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran
Seals on Raw Waterpump - Leaking

I have a 3YM30AE with a Johnson water pump">Raw water pump. Ours is current leaking. We are having a hard time finding parts here in Mexico..... So do they get worse quicky or just slowly get worse? If we can find the parts and it's not a big deal we'll wait until we get to the US.

(I'm pretty sure it's the lip seal that's going which isn't surprising given the years/engine hours we've used the engine)
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2024, 13:20   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Seals on Raw Waterpump - Leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffr View Post
I have a 3YM30AE with a Johnson Raw water pump. Ours is current leaking. We are having a hard time finding parts here in Mexico..... So do they get worse quicky or just slowly get worse? If we can find the parts and it's not a big deal we'll wait until we get to the US.

(I'm pretty sure it's the lip seal that's going which isn't surprising given the years/engine hours we've used the engine)
Can you find an industrial bearing supplier near you? If so take the old seal to them and they should be able to supply a new one and if you really want to "marinise"it remove the garter spring and replace it with an o ring of the same size.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2024, 16:27   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

^^ what Uncle Bob said +1

The seals are common industrial seals which should be available at any bearing / seal supplier. They aren't Yanmar or Johnson specific!

You can measure the housing (outer) diameter, the shaft (inner) diameter and the thickness and find the seal and manufacturer's part number on line.

They sometimes get worse slowly, they sometimes get worse fast - are you a betting man?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2024, 19:23   #4

I have seen a number of engines ruined by slow salt water drips. The corrosive effects of salt water are easy to ignore because it is so common. But it is very, very nasty. Just get it fixed, asap.

Any long distance cruising boat should be carrying a spare raw water pump ready to install. It is usually the fastest way to get back up and running leak free.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 00:26   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

The seals are standard 24 od 12 id 7 deep lip seals you should be able to buy at any bearing shop. If you take the impeller out you can hook the old seal out with a hooked pik e.g. a dental pik and then push the new seal in using an appropriately sized socket and hammer.
As others said, leaving it leaking will spray salt over the engine and eventually ruin the pump bearings requiring a full rebuild.
We replace the seal every year when we replace the impeller, 8 years so far and no pump rebuild required.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2024, 12:23   #6

Good news - I was finally able to find a lip seal and replaced ours - no leak so far
(I didn't replace the bearings although I do have a set if needed later).
Old 31-01-2024, 14:09   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffr View Post
Good news - I was finally able to find a lip seal and replaced ours - no leak so far
(I didn't replace the bearings although I do have a set if needed later).
Well done! I hope that you bought a few extra seals, for as the shaft ages they tend to fail sooner and sooner. Now that you have done the job once and know how easy it is you will be ready to attack any future leaks promptly, no matter where you may be.

The advice to have a complete spare pump is well thought out too. Means that one can do the actual repairs at leisure whilst the spare is pumping away.

Jim
Old 02-02-2024, 08:10   #8

Jim - yes I've been thinking I'll buy a spare pump when I'm back in the US. Any suggestions as to who carries the F4B-903 (Yan: 128995-42500) for a good price (shipping to Florida)

Tags
pump, raw water, seals, water