Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2018, 18:07   #121

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Seized Injectors - Need Ideas to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
I already said he was great. Question remains, how much did that cost? He must have spent weeks on this and as an ex mechanic charging people out the ass for his time, how much did that cost?
Once again: it is his own boat, and he is doing this project for fun. He is not charging anyone anything, and he gets enjoyment out of difficult projects like this.

Jim
Old 08-12-2018, 18:46   #122
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Hey guys, ease up on my foreign mate Ecos, he has asked an important question.
Now where is that light hearted tongue in cheek icon - hmm... can't find it so lets this instead -

Back to the question - How Much Did It Cost? I remain unsure if the question was rhetorical but until otherwise advised, I will assume it was genuine(ish).

So it cost sort of SFA. I did have to buy some caustic soda (a few dollars) but I needed it anyway. I also bought some washing soda (even less dollars). The MAPP gas is a consumable expense and I now owe my neighbour a favour - but that is a good thing as far I am concerned.

Now my time is expensive - if I was doing my old day job - a bit under a hundred bucks a hour BUT I wasn't doing my old day job. In fact if I wasn't messing with the head, I be messing with some project, a block, a boat, a garden, a wife, a new recipe or hanging out shooting the breeze or gosh, even posting on CF.

So my time is priceless and yet has no cost.

The alternative was to take it to the professional machine shop and that is a fair call - for others . Costs vary but around here but I would expect to pay somewhere between $100 & $200 to have the injectors removed plus 6 hours of my time in travel ($?) plus $50 in petrol.

Now consider what I gained - a lot of knowledge that I didn't have before, more experience in removing stuck objects and in general, more comfortable with using intense local heat. For some of you, you already have this - in spades; however consider for yourself what it is like with stuff you are not comfortable with - let's say electrical circuits. Now I do have a lifetime of experience working with electricity and electronics - there is nothing more I want to learn about this subject but for others, they enjoy extending their knowledge from a low base in say boat wiring or simple fault diagnosis of an engine alarm or nav light or some such - should they just call the technician because it's quicker / cheaper / safer - rhetorical question BTW

So to come back to the question Ecos asked - the answer is I gained a shipload more than I spent and that makes it good day in my book - YMMV.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 18:55   #123

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
I already said he was great. Question remains, how much did that cost? He must have spent weeks on this and as an ex mechanic charging people out the ass for his time, how much did that cost?
If you have to ask.......................
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 19:50   #124

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
If one of you bone heads took your head to a machine shop, how much would you expect to pay to remove a couple of stuck injectors? I'm thinking he would need to have charged $500 for all that. That is all I was asking.
A far more eloquently worded question, a valid observation. I would assume that a machine shop accustomed to working with that type of engine would have had them out somewhat sooner that Wattie, however there is the satisfaction of successfully overcoming the problem at hand to be factored in. Good on him.
One bonehead signing off.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 20:45   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Now that's DIY with a vengeance. Glad you got them out with no damage. Bet the satisfaction quotient was pretty high on this one...
Yes DIY for me - for some others, no so much.

It does raise a legitimate question of why do it - why not pay someone else to do the stuff one doesn't know how to do.

I see it to be similar to the very reason people go sailing / cruising etc. Of course, it way easier not to learn to sail, not to learn how to maintain a boat, not to learn how to navigate, not to learn and love the sea. What sort of world would that leave the vast majority of CF members.

IMO, cruisers have to be self reliant, have to be able do stuff and do it well enough to maintain a safe and seaworthy boat. They have to do this without the support of large cities and professional services. There are a shipload of systems on board that all contribute to a satisfying cruise to distant places and almost all of them need repairing sooner or later.

This exercise is simply an extension of that philosophy - IMHO.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 08-12-2018, 21:52   #126

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
So my time is priceless and yet has no cost.
What a great line, Wottie! I may use it myself someday. Describes the cruising life for me, elegant and terse. Well done, yet again.

Jim
Old 09-12-2018, 00:10   #127

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Yes DIY for me - for some others, no so much.

It does raise a legitimate question of why do it - why not pay someone else to do the stuff one doesn't know how to do.

I see it to be similar to the very reason people go sailing / cruising etc. Of course, it way easier not to learn to sail, not to learn how to maintain a boat, not to learn how to navigate, not to learn and love the sea. What sort of world would that leave the vast majority of CF members.

IMO, cruisers have to be self reliant, have to be able do stuff and do it well enough to maintain a safe and seaworthy boat. They have to do this without the support of large cities and professional services. There are a shipload of systems on board that all contribute to a satisfying cruise to distant places and almost all of them need repairing sooner or later.

This exercise is simply an extension of that philosophy - IMHO.
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

"So my time is priceless and yet has no cost."

What a great line, Wottie! I may use it myself someday. Describes the cruising life for me, elegant and terse. Well done, yet again.

Jim
Damn, you beat me to it...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:35   #128

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^^ ....actually, ME TOO (but no hash mark) ;-D
Old 18-12-2018, 14:45   #129
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Good onya cobber! Really enjoyed following your battle with the injectors which you described so well. Hope the rest of the rebuild doesn't put up so much of a fight.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 19:20   #130
Ado

Try with dry ice ,,in most case work,,Try with heat but no more of 900c, best option is buy new head for long run.
Adi
Ado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 14:42   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado View Post
......best option is buy new head for long run.
Adi
I'm really curious as to why you would think that getting a new head is the best option?

What's is better about a new head when compared to an old head?

Cast iron doesn't really wear out and the only wear points are the valve seats and guides, both of which are replaceable.

Yes it is possible the water galleries could corrode away IF the annodes aren't reguarly replaced but that would be a result of poor maintenance rather than a function of wear.
Old 05-01-2019, 21:44   #132
Ado

you have good possibility to damage head and have compression leack on injector side,It is time consuming to do if you don't have tools and knowledge how to do, any way if you have really bad stuck injector have good possibility to break injector on half, and need machine work and it is expensive.
new head and new injector and job is done,
Ado is offline   Reply With Quote