Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2016, 20:13   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Seller says, "engine frozen". Huh?

Agree with everyone else, With a bad stick and bad motor, it just ain't worth the time. Even if you really like working on boats. LOT's of 30 ish foot boats for sale in Florida for not much $$$. Look around. Though I'm partial to boats about 34 feet as storage is a tad better.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 20:49   #17

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Seller says, "engine frozen". Huh?

Dismasted my C-30 about 9 years ago, $18,000 for a new stick, rigging and sails. Thank God for insurance.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 21:43   #18

Run don't walk.

Even if you just want a project, get a classic that might have some resale value when you are done.

Take an old GTO you found rusted out in the barn and bring it back to life and you have a classic car. Bring an old camery in the same condition back to life and you've got a $1000 car that no one will get excited over.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 22:39   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
Dismasted my C-30 about 9 years ago, $18,000 for a new stick, rigging and sails. Thank God for insurance.
It's amazing how many people don't realize that replacing their mast costs more than the entire boat is worth.

They are the single most valuable part of most older boats.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:38   #20

Thank you, everyone for your words of wisdom. I think I'll keep saving, and find a more sturdy and working 34-38' cruiser.
JulieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:47   #21

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Here's Catalina 30 with a mast and (at least according to the ad) a not frozen engine for $5000. It is a long way from here (your signature says Florida) but I'll bet if you shop you can find one close to home.

If that one is in decent shape you could probably get it hauled to FL for a 3-4 boat buck.

1980 Catalina 30 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Not that this boat is a good buy, but the quote on getting it hauled seems a bit high. I hauled my Cal 31 from NW Ohio to SE Virginia for approximately $2700. I could have saved even more talking directly with a boat hauler and being patient.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:17   #22

Boat: Cape Dory 27D

Frozen can be anything from overheated and seized (which sometimes penetrating oil and a tap with a block of wood and a three pound sledge on the flywheel can cure) to submerged in seawater, corroded and who knows what. If this is an atomic 4 (also called the atomic bomb due to unfortunate explosions) you should consider replacing with a Yanmar or other diesel. Rebuilt atomic will cost about to 4 G - for same you can probably find a suitable diesel.

Mast might be able to be repaired but then it might also require a replacement, repair if possible could run 300 to over 1000, depending on amount of time required to splice it back together.

Sails, other running gear, and incidentals can quickly add up.

Even if the boat is for free you are most likely looking at big bucks to get off and running.

A hard call to make without seeing the boat or much more information.

I overhauled a Cape Dory 27 I bought for a rock bottom price, under 3G. Cosmetic work was easy, through buffing and waxing, bottom painting, removal of teak wood work, refinishing, replacing cabin sole(old flooring water soaked and curled up into shreds of "Stuff", replaced cushions in cabin, replacing head, repairing engine (replaced starter, water pump, injector, injector pump, fuel pump, installed racor filter system, new alternator, replaced stuffing box, new propeller ect) Batteries, data marine instruments and mast head units sent in for repair, rewired mast, new shrouds, replaced parts of furler that were snapped, new main sail, and lots of sweat I have a beautiful, graceful boat. Add in the cost of the work minus my labor I figure it totaled about 10 G. If labor was nominally $25 an hour another 5 G. Boat yard rates are more like 50 per hour so if you are not mechanically inclined or willing to sweat and spend your "free time" refurbishing, you might consider looking around some more for your dream boat. If you are inclined to dive in and do this sort of work, you will truly grow to love or hate your acquisition. Most of us love our second homes. I know I enjoyed every minute of fussing over my Dory and now know her inside and out. Time well spent

Whatever your decision, good luck fair winds and God speed.
MCOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:01   #23

Boat: Able 50

If the budget is tight then take a look at the Catalina 27. There are plenty out there for $5 - $10,000. Getting a 30 in good shape will cost $15,000 and up.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:15   #24

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Put a 20hp outboard engine on the stern.
Remove the frozen engine.
Name the boat OLAF.

Free boat doesn't mean bad boat, just as an expensive boat doesn't mean its good. Consider the obvious costs, but also your skills and the time involved. Personally, I'd rather be sailing.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:16   #25

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
If the budget is tight then take a look at the Catalina 27. There are plenty out there for $5 - $10,000. Getting a 30 in good shape will cost $15,000 and up.
The 30 is a MUCH larger boat...apples and oranges.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:35   #26

Boat: Able 50

Never been aboard one but it makes sense in the price. Good ones are around $20,000.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:39   #27

you're in Florida? There are probably 2000 sailboats for sale in Fl for under 5K. Many are unadvertised and just sitting in slips growing barnacles or in dry storage waiting to be cut up and sent to the landfill. Keep looking.
If the owner gave you the boat and $5k, it might be a good deal.
If you just happened to have an engine and a 40 foot mast in your back yard, it might be a good deal.
If you were an expert mechanic, could troubleshoot and fix the motor, and could scrounge up a used mast somewhere and re rig it yourself, it might be a good deal.
provided the hull wasn't also damaged during the dismasting.... and some of that you might not be able to see.
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:12   #28

How do you know its "frozen". Did you try to turn it over manually? There are endless scenarios about what might be wrong with the engine. Replacing it should be fairly easy. Used small diesels are cheap($2,500) and most shops that have them are likely to help drop the engine into the boat, assuming you have a bed and mounts ready. The "hard" part is hooking up all the lines, pipes, and wires. Can be done by you or hire someone to do it(another $2,500 most likely). That does not include cleaning out the tanks, redoing the electrical system, nor rebuilding the exhaust system.

Go look for another boat.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:55   #29

Boat: Irwin sloop

Broken mast, storm damage and a frozen engine? Betcha she spent some time on the bottom. Simply smile, then say "No thanks" over your shoulder.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 14:54   #30

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
It's amazing how many people don't realize that replacing their mast costs more than the entire boat is worth.

They are the single most valuable part of most older boats.

Almost Stumble, I sold it less than 2 years later for $22,000 and the only reason I got that much was because of the new stuff.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine