Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2014, 20:22   #1

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Separate SD20 Saildrive from the Yanmar Diesel

Have to replace the large water seals for the SD20 saildrive (old and one side leaking). SB side came apart and just pulled the SD20 out and brought it home. The port side was more of a challenge. Pulled the motor mount bolts and with effort got the unit pried apart 1/4", sprayed some PB Blaster inside but that was it. Finally pulled the engine (2 cyl) and the SD20 as one unit. Not easy but we did it. Put it into the trailer and brought it back home (7 hours). I know there is a dampener bolted to the flywheel (like a clutch disk) but how do I get it apart?
Once apart, what is the best way to separate the lower saildrive from the upper section (6 or 8 allen screws - 20 years together)

Will take a pressure washer up and degrease and clean and paint the engine bays before reassembly.
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01495.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	83357  
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 23:34   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: separate SD20 saildrive from the Yanmar diesel

The 3 jpgs at this link should help with the seal replacement.

As far as separating the motor that's a quandary. Should just slide apart.

PDQ Owners Forum • View topic - SD20 saildrive diaphragms replacement
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 06:00   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

AFAIK, after the bolts are out, there is nothing holding the drive - it is just a splined shaft slid into the damper plate splines on the flywheel. If you move it in and out that 1/4" a few times, maybe it will loosen?

You have one off, so you should be able to see exactly what goes on in there and how it is put together.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 10:08   #4

Mark - yes, looks like a VW transmission into a clutch disc with the splines rusted to the disc because the PO did not put any grease on the shaft. Will move it into my shop tonight and try again. If not, will preload it, spray in more PB Blaster and let it sit another day.

Ex-Calif - thanks for the link. The Volvo set-up looks similar. I noticed that Volvo sells a nice kit with instruction sheet. The supplier I got my parts from (Oxford Boatyard in MD) was kind enough to email me some pages to help with installation and once I had the parts, does not look too difficult not that the units are out.

Do I want to add "linecutters" to cut fishing line while I have this apart?

thanks again to all...Ed
Old 18-06-2014, 16:14   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
Mark - yes, looks like a VW transmission into a clutch disc with the splines rusted to the disc because the PO did not put any grease on the shaft. Will move it into my shop tonight and try again. If not, will preload it, spray in more PB Blaster and let it sit another day.

Ex-Calif - thanks for the link. The Volvo set-up looks similar. I noticed that Volvo sells a nice kit with instruction sheet. The supplier I got my parts from (Oxford Boatyard in MD) was kind enough to email me some pages to help with installation and once I had the parts, does not look too difficult not that the units are out.

Do I want to add "linecutters" to cut fishing line while I have this apart?

thanks again to all...Ed
I think the key steps are making sure you don't lose any of the shim stack when the leg comes off, cleaning the surfaces where the two seals go, using gasket seal only on the paper gasket, using the right tightening sequence and torque and safety wiring of 4 bolts.

Use a good quality allen key or an allen driver in a ratchet/breaker bar.

Line cutters are a personal option. Singapore waters are pretty fouled and I have snagged stray line only twice in 5 years. There are enough legitimate fisherman with pots and lines (bouyied) that I would not want to accidentally cut some working guys line - that just me...

Another decision is whether you replace the shaft seal while you have the leg out.
Old 18-06-2014, 16:40   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Another decision is whether you replace the shaft seal while you have the leg out.
That isn't a decision - they are $10 seals that take 10 minutes to replace, and failure of them means damage (and another haulout)! Many people change them as regular maintenance during every haulout.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 20:47   #7

Re: Separate SD20 Saildrive from the Yanmar Diesel

Mark, I ordered a shaft seal (and O-rings) when I ordered the saildrive gaiters. I told Yanmar not to even tell me the cost of the parts because I did not want to get upset!! I will take the shaft seal down to my local bearing house and get a couple more, I am sure the cost will be 10% of what yanmar charges.
Cleaned out the current project in the shop tonight and the engine/saildrive unit will go in tomorrow night. PB Blaster onto the cover holding the shaft seal - expect it to be difficult to get apart.
Ed
Old 22-06-2014, 20:48   #8

Re: Separated SD20 Saildrive from the Yanmar Diesel

After sitting for a week with some PB Blaster, I added a couple more wedges and then one wack with the small sledge and ti popped apart. Seems when the seals failed, enough seawater got into the engine bay to enter the flywheel housing and then got flung around. The flywheel has light surface rust but the dampener is quite rusty and the saildrive splines were rusted quite well to the dampener. Will clean it all up well and apply a liberal coating of grease for assembly.

I looked at the banacles grwoing on the capscrews holding the lower saildrive unit and anticipated a real problem getting it apart. I was jsut amazed how easily the came apart, including the 4 small ones holding the anode and then the 2 under it holding the bottom hub. Will replace the lower shaft seal and the the large watertight seals and then back into the boat after I return from China.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01517.JPG
Views:	673
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	83586  
Old 23-06-2014, 19:28   #9

Got the dampener off tonight. It is slightly warped and has more rust than normal where it was sitting in salt water for a while. Knowing that Yanmar thinks all their parts are made from gold, how important is it to replace this will a new dampener?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01526.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	345.3 KB
ID:	83642   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01528.jpg
Views:	1113
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	83643  

Old 23-06-2014, 19:43   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'd check the price for "fun" but this is a mechanical device.

If the springs in their housings are tight and not loose or worn I would clean it up and reinstall it.

if it were a clutch plate I might consider it more.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:43   #11

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)

I have an SD20 removed, and notice that the spline shaft is not lubricated or greased, and neither the service manual nor the installation manual says anything about it. Should I grease the spline shaft before reassembly?
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:28   #12

Sonosailor,
I would DEFINITELY apply a light coating of grease to the splines.
This is not like a clutch where you need to worry about grease getting on the clutch disc. And I made sure all the bolts were clean and got a very light coating of grease so they would come apart again in the future.

I did have to take this apart again to replace the main oil seal behind the flywheel. All came apart very easily then.
Ed
Old 06-05-2016, 05:37   #13

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)

Thanks Ed. In a boatyard in Grenada, and behind schedule. I'll post some opinions on diaphragm replacement when I get caught up and fly home to good internet (and showers).
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, sail, saildrive, yanmar