Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2018, 00:22   #1

Boat: Van de Stadt Norman 41
Send a message via Skype™ to daga
Separating Gearbox from Engine

This is a rather urgent problem as I am stuck in Nias Indonesia without engine power. I have a Volvo Penta MD22L Engine with an MS2B-A gearbox attached.

I'm in the process of removing the gearbox si I can take it somewhere (Singapore?) for servicing (cannot select forward). I've disconnected everything (raw water, morse) and removed all bolts. I slid the prop shaft back, but cannot seem to separate the gearbox from the back of the engine.

I've applied small amounts of pressure, tried tapping with a hammer, pulling with bare hands and am now at a loss what to do. Only one method seems safe and that is to somehow apply pressure to the output shaft of the gearbox and drag it away from the engine. Can anyone confirm that it is safe to do that?

Many thanks in advance.

Dave.
daga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:19   #2

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Re: Separating Gearbox from Engine

Removing the MSB fron my MD11c I just give it kick to break loose the gasket goo at the bell housing.
If your engine is like an MD11/MD 17, be prepared for a quart of oil to pour out and into the bilge.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:23   #3

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Probably not a good idea to pull on the output shaft flange; too much force can cause leaks at the rear seal.

If you have all the bolts out it is likely that either the input shaft is rusted into the drive plate #25 in 1st picture. It is also possible in high hour situations that a lip has worn in the spline forward of the contact area between the drive plate and the input shaft and is preventing the gear from being pulled through. If this is the case, you must apply backward pressure while rolling the in-gear transmission back and forth to allow the unworn splines to align and the transmission to be withdrawn.

If rust is holding the two together, you'll need to get some kind of lubricant in between them; for this you'll have to use more force, but you must start at the same point; the joint between the gear #1 and the intermediate plate #4 in the second picture. Remove all six bolts #2.

Try and insert a thin but stiff blade between the gear and the int. plate, my favorite tool here is an old, fairly wide wood chisel; there may be a slot cast into the gear mounting flange somewhere to allow insertion of a screwdriver to lever them apart. The drive plate is a little flexible, once you get it started you may be able to lever the wo apart enough to squirt some kind of 'magic juice' in there to free things up.

Also, if I remember correctly, the radius of the input shaft housing fits rather tightly into the bore of the intermediate housing. If the gear hasn't been off in a long time, it is entirely possible that the two have corroded together, but the approach to separate them should be the same, with perhaps the addition of a little magic juice at the beginning...

I'd only pull on the transmission as last resort.

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:39   #4

Chisels and gentle persistent persuasion eventually saw the gearbox part company with the engine. There was no gasket goo, and only a minimum of surface corrosion. It is simply a tight fit.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:10   #5

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daga View Post
This is a rather urgent problem as I am stuck in Nias Indonesia without engine power. I have a Volvo Penta MD22L Engine with an MS2B-A gearbox attached.

I'm in the process of removing the gearbox si I can take it somewhere (Singapore?) for servicing (cannot select forward). I've disconnected everything (raw water, morse) and removed all bolts. I slid the prop shaft back, but cannot seem to separate the gearbox from the back of the engine.

I've applied small amounts of pressure, tried tapping with a hammer, pulling with bare hands and am now at a loss what to do. Only one method seems safe and that is to somehow apply pressure to the output shaft of the gearbox and drag it away from the engine. Can anyone confirm that it is safe to do that?

Many thanks in advance.

Dave.
Is the transmission supported so you don't have a bind in a spline. No pun intended.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 15:13   #6

Boat: Coast 30

separation of our MS2B Volvo transmission from our 2003 28 horse power diesel took us several hours steel wedges and some four pound hammers.

The 20 tooth splines rust and lock together. onto the damper plate which is most likely (NFG) toast or any other suitable term you wish to cuss!!!

fortunately we did get ours apart without busting it, and since this was about four years ago set out to find a solution.

for this you contact,
Barbara Mark
NextWave Marine Systems Inc.,
5-3125 Van Horne Road,
Qualicum Beach, BC.
Canada V9K2R3
Tel: 250 752 1790
Fax: 250 752 2791
bmark@suredrivemarine.com
www.suredrivemarine.com

who will probably be happy to air cargo ship a solution to you which can usually be installed using simple tools. Since ours was bolted on at their workshop I have not done this myself.

tell he Brian sent this to you.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 16:30   #7

@coastalexplorer Thanks for that. Suredrive looks like an interesting product. I will look into it. Dave.
Old 11-11-2018, 20:26   #8

Boat: bruce roberts mauritius 44

Hi Dave, check out the southeast Asia cruisers forum on Facebook for a recommendation on where to get your gearbox fixed.
Aguabago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:21   #9

@Aguabago Do you mean Sail Indonesia? I cannot find any group called southeast Asia cruisers forum. Can you be more specific?
Old 12-11-2018, 04:30   #10

Boat: Domp 8.60

When refitting put some copper grease on the splines an the edge of the gear box to make it easy next time it needs to come of.
Milko Berben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 14:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milko Berben View Post
When refitting put some copper grease on the splines an the edge of the gear box to make it easy next time it needs to come of.
Do grease the input shaft and damper plate splines, as well as the pilot area of the intermediate plate and the gear box housing, but don't put anything containing copper on the intermediate plate or gear box housing. Both the plate and the housing are aluminum and will react poorly with copper compounds.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, gear, gearbox