Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 05:33   #1

Boat: Hallberg-Rasy 36
Serious vibrations on Throttle down

I have a Volvo D2-55 engine that when I throttle down the engine from it will give this horrendous vibration that sounds like the engine is shaking itself apart for a couple of seconds. This happens intermittently, maybe 1 in 20 times and will happen in neutral or in gear. It seems to happen more frequently if I throttle down quickly and doesn't seem to happen if I throttle down slowly. And, of course, I'm never actually looking at the engine when it happens, I'm at the controls.

Volvo had a recall on this engine to replace the dampening plate a few years ago and that was done. I'm suspecting that this issue may be related to the dampening plate -- but if anyone has some experience with this issue, I would appreciate comments.

Regards,

Steve
SUGILITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:49   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Inspect your engine mounts.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:55   #3

Sounds like the plate to me. Had a Mercedes diesel in my Passport that did that throttling down, but it always did and was the nature of the beast. It was a great engine other than that, same as the 240D tasi engine that would commonly go 500,000 miles. Cheapest parts I ever bought for a marine diesel too, right from the Mercedes dealer! They must want to keep those taxis going! In 1998 a fresh water pump was about $28 at the dealer!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:59   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Engine Mounts First

Bad dampener plates sound like a can of rocks
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 15:01   #5

It doesn't not sound like a can of rocks. It is a loud shaking shuttering vibration. I'm not currently at the boat, but making sure that the engine mounts are tightened are on my maintenance list which I do a minimum of twice a year for this item and they are tight. At first I was thinking it may be related to the shaft not aligning correctly through the shaft log -- but then I noticed that it would happen even if I was in neutral. Something is not right and considering how pronounced the noise is, I don't think it is helping the engine at all.
Old 11-03-2009, 15:43   #6

Boat: owned a 6m single hull sailing boat, a HIRONDELL 23 cat and chartered modern +8m ELAN boats
shaft, gears, eng mounts or something inside the eng/ cylinder.
Old 11-03-2009, 21:29   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Maybe use a crow-bar and lift (gently) on the rubber mounts to see if one had a coming apart party.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 15:25   #8

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. In an effort to complete this subject for someone else that may have the problem I will document a possible solution.

I disucssed the problem with a local service mananager for Volvo engines. He was very familiar with the problem and said the cause was the low idle speed adjustment was set too low. The fix was to bring the engine up to operating temperature, then idle the engine and set the low idle to 800-850 rpm.

I will not be able to actually try this until I return to the boat next month, but I do remember that the engine does idle around 600 rpm which is quite a bit lower than the recommended speed.
Old 20-03-2009, 22:03   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Its not just a question if the mounts are tight....try and have a good look at the rubber to see if there is any signs of softening.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote