Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2020, 21:57   #76

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC
Re: Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic Diesel for Yanmar 3GM30F

Quote:
I have 2 brand new Yanmar 4JH57CR engines being installed in my cat. I’m keen on using synthetic. Thoughts? __________________
Doug

Not to speak for Jim either but you should use the oil that the manufacturer says you should use. 15W-40 (-15 to 40C) or 10W30 (-20 to 30C) is what is in your manual. If you don't use that viscosity and meet the "C" spec (or above, I doubt you can even find some of the C oils listed in the manual anymore) you may void the warranty. No problem using synthetic but do not exceed the change intervals.

Al
ASE Master Mechanic
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 00:25   #77

Boat: Voyage 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
Doug

Not to speak for Jim either but you should use the oil that the manufacturer says you should use. 15W-40 (-15 to 40C) or 10W30 (-20 to 30C) is what is in your manual. If you don't use that viscosity and meet the "C" spec (or above, I doubt you can even find some of the C oils listed in the manual anymore) you may void the warranty. No problem using synthetic but do not exceed the change intervals.

Al
ASE Master Mechanic
Thanks, that is the plan. Use the synthetic T6 15W-40 and still change the oil at the prescribed intervals. I’ll drain the oil that shipped with the engines and replace with the Shell Rotella. Thanks for the advice/confirmation.

s/v SERENITY
Divedoug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 01:58   #78
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
........ If you don't use that viscosity and meet the "C" spec (or above, I doubt you can even find some of the C oils listed in the manual anymore) you may void the warranty. .........
Also not speaking for Jim .

Most likely the lowest C spec listed in the Yanmar manual is CD and that is available if you go looking for it (usually as single weight SAE30). Just not available in many Auto stores, you have to look in small engine shops e.g. Briggs and Stratton places etc.

I'm not suggesting you should (or shouldn't) use an CD oil but it is available contrary to much internet myth.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 03:21   #79

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
I’ll drain the oil that shipped with the engines and replace with the Shell Rotella.
I would get and read the manual and follow the break in procedure religiously. I would not change the oil they shipped the motor with. The oil when you get it may have a higher zinc content and maybe a break in type oil. If Yanmar wanted you to change the oil before running they would tell you.

Quote:
Most likely the lowest C spec listed in the Yanmar manual is CD and that is available if you go looking for it (usually as single weight SAE30).
Very true. While the manual says CD or higher is fine they state the recommended viscosity is 10w-30 or 15w-40. Finding a CD oil in multi vis may be near impossible. Rotella T6 is a CK-4 oil and the motor he has is modern, common rail and low emission. For low sulphur fuel like today (as opposed to high sulphur or 30 years ago) works better with higher grades than CD. Like CK-4 which is fine for the application, easily had and what the owner wants. https://dieselnet.com/tech/lube_clas...tions.php#ck-4

As they are new engines there is a warranty to consider and it would be wise to use and operate the motors exactly the way the Factory tells you. With all due respect to Mr. Bunyard I would think Yanmar would be the authority on what to use in regards to lubricants.

Don't forget to change the marine gear oil and adjust the valves. Keep an engine log book as it may aid in any warranty issue (save your receipts) and resale value.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, diesel, rot, yanmar