Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2016, 05:59   #1

Boat: Cambria 44/46
Shift lever conventions

My experience with two lever controls is limited. However most of them I have seen and used have the throttle lever on the right and the shift on the left.

My current boat is opposite. I believe that it would be easy to change as it's on a standard Edson pedestal. The lever on the right is red and left black.

What's the generally accepted standard?

Thanks,
Dennis
DennisDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 07:15   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Shift lever conventions

If the swap is simple to do then you might consider going to a single lever system. They're quite nice to have, especially when docking, & manuvering in tight quarters. One hand for the wheel/tiller, & one for the engine.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 10:41   #3

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Red is normally "fire" (throttle). Could someone have switched the cables? Personally, I prefer two-lever to single-lever controls. If it were me I'd switch them back to the more common throttle on the right, shift on the left. But leave the colors where they are.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 11:01   #4

Boat: Valiant 42

The "standard" for a "modern" sailboat pedestal is fast/slow on the right and forward/reverse on the left. I think power boats are the same convention.

I am not a fan of single lever controls. If I ever need lots of throttle manipulation to maneuver I did something wrong.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 14:25   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
The "standard" for a "modern" sailboat pedestal is fast/slow on the right and forward/reverse on the left. I think power boats are the same convention.

I am not a fan of single lever controls. If I ever need lots of throttle manipulation to maneuver I did something wrong.
I prefer single lever controls. I delivered one twin engine trawler that had twin lever controls. They're a PITA when maneuvering in and out of a berth if there's current/crosswind. The new owner had great difficulty in juggling four levers and remembering to throttle down to idle before changing from forward to reverse and vice versa when learning to do so.

(Switching direction at high revs when getting flustered is likely to be very expensive)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 14:45   #6

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisDW View Post
My experience with two lever controls is limited. However most of them I have seen and used have the throttle lever on the right and the shift on the left.

My current boat is opposite. I believe that it would be easy to change as it's on a standard Edson pedestal. The lever on the right is red and left black.

What's the generally accepted standard?

Thanks,
Dennis

On a pedestal, the right (red) lever is throttle and the left (black lever) is shift. sounds like your setup is completely normal, just needs the engine end switched.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 15:26   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Dennis, perhaps your vessel was intended for right hand drive..haha, should be an easy swap at the pedestal.
I'm fine using either single or dual levers. One argument is for the novice or nervous, Mrs ce isn't comfy with two.
ce
Old 29-12-2016, 16:24   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Twin engines here. Good luck trying that with twin controls!

Is there some advantage to twin controls? If I want to rev in neutral, I just pull them out, but you only do that starting, and only when they are stone cold. Otherwise, very intuitive.

Absolutely, reset them to conventional placement. Reversed is just one brain fart away from a collision.
Old 29-12-2016, 17:41   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Shift lever conventions

I grew up with dual controls on power boats.
I believe them to be more tradition than anything, I have seen transmissions damaged when the operator got flustered and was shifting at well over idle.
Maybe they are simpler and more robust than a single lever control?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 18:03   #10

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Shift lever conventions

After a winter in the U.P. using an outhouse, I can honestly say I don't mind cold toilet seats. That doesn't mean they are better than heated.

Single lever just makes more sense.
Old 29-12-2016, 18:20   #11

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

The standard is shift on the left (black) and throttle on the right (red).

Old 29-12-2016, 19:01   #12

Boat: Rinker 24

For twin engines the single levers make a noticeable difference when maneuvering. They also make a difference with just a single engine but not as earthshaking IMHO. I wish I could say they were less reliable due to their complexity but to be honest they don't seem to wear out that much and are quite reliable even when abused and neglected.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 09:56   #13

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Interesting. Maybe I'm just a "traditionalist." I find separate controls so much more intuitive when close-in maneuvering with twins.

Ideally, I keep the throttles at idle use just use the shifters. If there's a cross wind or current, then I briefly adjust the appropriate throttle(s) as needed, and bring them back to idle before moving to the shifters again.

Shifters are either engaged, or not. Throttles are variable. It just makes more sense to me to separate the "analog" from "digital" functions.

But I will admit that, with more levers to deal with, the chances of hitting the wrong one go up. And to someone without a lot of experience, the singles are much easier to understand.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:24   #14

Boat: Cambria 44/46

Thanks Friends for your replies. You confirmed my suspicion that the cables were reversed in the pedestal. I will switch them.

I had a single lever boat. It was fine. This is fine too. I kind of like being able to nudge up the throttle a bit and just back and fill with the shift lever.

A happy and prosperous 2017 to all.
Dennis
DennisDW is offline   Reply With Quote