Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2010, 12:48   #1

Boat: Spindrift 43 SV Falkor
Shifter and Throttle Cable Replacement ?

I need to replace the shifter and throttle cables on my boat, It has the controls mounted on the edson pedastal. Are these edson specific? volvo specific? I cant seem to find them any where?
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 13:46   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Did that a month ago. Teleflex generic control for gear and throttle.

3 cables plus the stop handle, $200.00, $150.00 for the throttle.

Then the throttle broke duing installation, Teleflex sendt me a new one, no questions asked.

Pain in the butt doing the cables, poor access on the CSY 33...
Old 30-05-2010, 15:41   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Teleflex.....have fun....it is not an easy job......a lot of stuff can be frozen up and usually is.

Patience is the key, as well as shade over your head.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 23:06   #4

Boat: Pearson 10M
b-rad,

You will need to measure the length of both of the cables you need. Also check the size of the cable needed. The size is usually printed on the cables, such as '33C' or '3300' etc. Then you can get the Teleflex cables from any vendor near you. I got mine from Outboard Motor Shop in Oakland, CA.

I agree with the others replacing the cables can and invariably is challenging. Make note of the steps you perform to remove the cables and if you can take some pictures as you go along. Also visit the Edson website. It has some goof instructions for replacing the engine control assy. It will be quite useful. If you can't find it PM me and I will send it to you.
msoneji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 10:49   #5

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
A little trick that will make pulling the cables through, is getting a small double female threaded connector that will screw onto the cables. Screw the end of the connector onto the old cable, and screw the new cable into the other side of the connector. When you pull either cable, the other cable will follow. Makes it tons easier getting the new cable through all the twists and turns of the boat.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 11:18   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
There are some new premium priced cables on the marketed by the likes of Mercury/Quicksilver and others. They are thinner and bend to a tighter radius than the normal 33c cables. For anyone replacing long cables with lots of bends deffinately worth considering. They are also very smooth to use so excellent with a large outboard but perfectly suitable on a yacht.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 12:26   #7

Boat: Pearson 10M
A word of caution on the use of smaller cables. Please check the outer diameter of the cables vs. your current cables. This is for those installations where the cables are installed on the Edson pedestal. The throttle and shift cables are attached to a cable clamp/cable holder inside the pedestal (the clamp is one of the things that is difficult to handle) and the clamp holds the cables preventing movement of the cable casing and allows for the inner cable to move back and forth. If you use cables that have smaller outer diameter then you may encounter issues at the cable clamp/holder.
msoneji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 14:42   #8

Boat: Nauticat 321 Pilothouse
Send a message via AIM to MitchM
another few words of caution: when you get the correct size and length of cable be sure not to (1) bend it beyond the recommended radius of curvature-- or the inner cable won't slide in its sheath and won't control properly (2) don't run the cable near a hot engine part.. (ask me how i know this.. i replaced an old 22 yr old broken morse trans shift cable, and ran it the same way the engine install guy had.. over the yanmar 2GM exhaust elbow. a new exhaust elbow allows enough cooling h 2 0 to g et thru so the el stays warm but not hot to the touch. the new cable did't fry til 5 years later..when the carbon in the exhaust el had reduced the diameter of the el so the el was running much hotter and indeed was at enough temp to fry the outer cable sheath, which disabled the inner cable, so i lost reverse gear ability coming into the slip. .... so i had to replace the cable AGAIN and change gears while waiting for the new morse teleflex cable by pulling on a spectra line which i threaded thru the marine gear lever on the yanmar 2 gm20 f -- which gear lever fortunately was very accessible from the cockpit..
MitchM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 21:41   #9

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchM View Post
another few words of caution: when you get the correct size and length of cable be sure not to (1) bend it beyond the recommended radius of curvature-- or the inner cable won't slide in its sheath and won't control properly (2) don't run the cable near a hot engine part.. (ask me how i know this.. i replaced an old 22 yr old broken morse trans shift cable, and ran it the same way the engine install guy had.. over the yanmar 2GM exhaust elbow. a new exhaust elbow allows enough cooling h 2 0 to g et thru so the el stays warm but not hot to the touch. the new cable did't fry til 5 years later..when the carbon in the exhaust el had reduced the diameter of the el so the el was running much hotter and indeed was at enough temp to fry the outer cable sheath, which disabled the inner cable, so i lost reverse gear ability coming into the slip. .... so i had to replace the cable AGAIN and change gears while waiting for the new morse teleflex cable by pulling on a spectra line which i threaded thru the marine gear lever on the yanmar 2 gm20 f -- which gear lever fortunately was very accessible from the cockpit..
I broke a transmission cable once when leaving our slip, but didn't discover the problem until trying to apply reverse coming back into our slip...doing three knots into the slip is not good!
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote