Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 16:29   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Should I install a used engine?

Of course the guy never did say how much that song cost...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 16:31   #17

Boat: Tom Thumb 26

I would be suspicious if water entered the crankcase and wasn't dealt with quickly. Was it salty?
The other problem would be if they pulled the head to have a look and then just rested the head back on top for a few years, plenty of room for air/water to get in and corrode the bores etc.
nickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:18   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33, 33'6"
Send a message via Skype™ to Aloha_float
I am not sure how old this thread is however....

I bought my boat with a seized westerbeke w13 and it sat on the hard for more than 6 years. I had the engine rebuilt with new pistons and rings and it has been working great. I have had it up and running for four seasons now. These engines are built like tanks. I would go for it.
Aloha_float is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:24   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i bought my boat with blown westerbeke 4-107. i bought a used perkins 4-108--installed it for 3 loaves of bread which turned out to be a near year cruise in gom, and
now i have done some work should have been done prior to install, but is an awesome great investment--i LOVE it. runs smooth and damn near quiet----now i am having gauges installed--(only had oil pressure before now--) and i have a secondary set of gauges in main saloon -mounted next to radio---
secondary set of gauges is an excellent practice, btw.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 08:26   #20

I stumbled across my old post and thought I'd follow up. I purchased the engine for $100.00 and it came with lots of parts. Bought a complete gasket kit and re assembled the engine replacing the freeze plugs. By the way, there are freeze plugs that will leak coolant into the crank, so many posters were ill informed. Got the engine running and installed. Engine compression is 460psi on all cylinders and runs brilliantly. All said and done the cost of rebuild AND install was around $1000.00. I've taken the boat to the Caribbean and have put several hundred hours on it, with no issues. Moral is sometimes thing that seem to good to be true really are that good.
Fernweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 10:06   #21

Cool, glad it worked out! Sometimes people change out things because they are worriers. kind of a "if I'm sailing around the world, I better just put a new engine in" logic after they had a minor engine issue. Maybe you got one of those discarded engines!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 10:39   #22

My mechanic friend and mentor had many 'discarded' boat engines behind the shop, and some rebuildable gems safely indoors. And he would always jump whenever he got wind of an abandoned engine. They were an unbeatable source of spares he could recondition, and sometimes the engine was either a candidate or parts source for a rebuild.

So, I suspect it's not all that common for a non-insider to come across a rebuildable engine at a firesale price.... but it apparently happens.

It was always my intention to buy one of his rebuildable 1 or 2 cyl Yanmars as an educational project, but he closed shop and sold everything off before I got the chance. . I'm still looking.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine