Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2017, 07:37   #16

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Shredded impeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI View Post
I've had this happen on my inboard ski boat before. My thought was to make a filter to catch all the bits ( Think inline fuel filter type) Something with barbed ends on both sides then threads apart in the middle with a piece of perforated aluminum screen....
Already exists. E.G. see (click on) Jabsco Pumpgard.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:07   #17
SKI

Boat: none yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Already exists. E.G. see (click on) Jabsco Pumpgard.

Ah so it does. I thought surely I wasn't the first person to think of it. Oh well so much for my million dollar idea. Heck I woulda settled for a few thousand dollar idea!!
SKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:32   #18

Boat: Sceptre 41

+1 on HyLte idea of the bilge pump and barnacle buster. It is on my to do list. I just had a similiar though less severe case of impeller destruction. Look at my thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-172995-2.html There are pictures of the heat exchanger. I have a 4JH4E. I took it out and cleaned it with a wire brush. I located all of the parts. Good Luck

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:26   #19

Don't use a filter like that one meant for fresh water systems. Use one with a filter hole size that's as large or larger than the one on your raw water intake strainer. Otherwise it will quickly clog and overheat your engine.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:27   #20

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Don't use a filter like that one meant for fresh water systems. Use one with a filter hole size that's as large or larger than the one on your raw water intake strainer. Otherwise it will quickly clog and overheat your engine.
Carl--

In most cases, folks have a raw water strainer between their through hull and their water pump. The illustrated strainer is proposed for the tubing between the pump and the heat exchanger. Moreover, that particular filter is often used as the raw water strainer for head flush-water intakes and in the up-take lines between diaphragm bilge pumps and bilge strum boxes. If one is really concerned about clogging with anything other than bits and pieces of impeller vanes should they break free, onc can certainly run an Exacto knife blade vertically partially through the screen-filter element at close intervals to somewhat open the filter up but, frankly, I don't think that would be necessary. It is, of course, a matter of opinion, so there's no right or wrong about it, eh?

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 06:42   #21

Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of the idea of a strainer behind the water pump to catch impeller pieces. My concern is with the strainer pictured in the thread.

I have several of those Jabsco Pump guard strainers. It usually comes with a 50 mesh screen (.013" holes) . Jabso specifically notes that this should not be used for bilge pumps. A courser 20 mesh (.039") screen is available. A standard Perko strainer is about 10 mesh (.071").

Since the goal is just to screen impeller bits that are big enough to get stuck in the heat exchanger, it doesn't need to be very fine. I think a filter with a 10 mesh (or even a little bigger) would do the job.

Something like the Vetus 330 - although it's about $100. Maybe someone knows a less expensive option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 9.39.53 AM.png
Views:	98
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	139562  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 07:03   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I thought I posted this yesterday but I can't find it now. I apologize if its a duplicate.

This was posted by sv jedi in 2009.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rts-29389.html
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 16:48   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Shurflo and others make small strainers that might be appropriate for catching impeller blades. ShurFlo Raw water strainers 1/2"-1-1/4"