Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2018, 07:03   #46

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982
Re: Sick of our 4108 Perkins need suggestions

I have a Morgan 38 with a Perkins 4108 . I did replace all the fuel lines with rubber fuel hose added a electric fuel pump right after the fuel filter and before the manual fuel pump . ! I had injectors all redone. new fuel pump also. the electric fuel pump jams fuel to the manual right down its throat ! I hooked it up to the start key switch . When i start half way thru i can hear that pump pushing fuel in . YUP new fuel lines. Its a 30 some year old girl Trans Alantic diesal has been a great sorce of info for me. Those Folly guys sure will take all your money !
All the best one step at a time.
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 10:57   #47

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by rveldman1 View Post
Sorry you're not in the states. I want that engine and I would drive anywhere in the US to go pick up that engine from you.
I will be repowering my 4108 end of summer. Motor runs great and is located in Long Beach, CA. Let me know if you are truly interested and we can drop it right in your truck or trailer when the new Yanmar goes in. PM me for specific contact info.
Thanks
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 13:27   #48

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
I disagree with the Yanmar or Volvo-Penta recommendation. Both Yanmar and Volvo-Penta are marine specific engines and parts are pricey. Beta Marine engines are Kubota tractor engines and the parts are available worldwide, even in places where no marine services are available.
Not quite true. No major manufacturer makes a real marine engine these days. The Volvo-Penta engines are Perkins blocks (marinized by VP, similar to Beta/Mitsubishi)), also sold for utility applications. Even Yanmar designs their engines for the utility market. Realistically, the marine market is too small to support the R&D required for an engine that is exclusively marine.

The important point is that it is often the parts used for marinizing that need to be repaired or replaced, not the base engine blocks. Being able to buy a rebuild kit from the block manufacturer is less commonly useful than having replacement heat exchangers and exhaust elbows available. And that is the reason - the only reason - that I recommend Yanmar and Volvo-Penta. IMHO the Beta is every bit as good an engine, and the ability to order one with the exact accessories required, a la carte, is a great advantage. But I have had real world experiences of trying to import parts for an engine without local dealers, and I can't recommend going that route for a world-cruising boat. YMMV.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 14:04   #49

Boat: Casacde 36

Don't get discouraged and make an expensive decision. The very first diesel I worked on, as an apprentice mechanic, was a Perkins 6.354. I bled that thing over and over for a whole day. (You can imagine how impressed the shop foreman was, at full retail rate). Repeatedly, it would stall under load.
The next day, I noticed a small inconsistency inside one of the flare fittings, causing a minuscule ingress of air. Fixed that and, Bingo!
It's got to be in there somewhere. Keep searching.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 14:34   #50

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

I found the air leak in my diesel fuel supply to the engine by temporarily replacing the USCG approved black rubber tubing with clear vinyl tubing. I could then see the little air bubbles crawling along in the fuel lines. The leak was just upstream from where the bubbles appeared.

In my case the leak was in the Racor primary filter. The seal between the clear plastic bottom bowl and the upper aluminum body was plastic-to-rubber gasket-to-paint-to-aluminum. The leak was between the paint and the aluminum. The paint was peeling off.

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins