Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 04:27   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Single Lever Engine Controls

Getting a new boat in next week or so that has single lever control. I've always had dual lever for the speed and transmission. On the single lever how/can you increase engine speed for charging etc without putting the engine in gear?
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:40   #2

depends on the control. Some have a push button, some you pull the handle out. This disengages the trans shifting and allows throttle only movement.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:40   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Getting a new boat in next week or so that has single lever control. I've always had dual lever for the speed and transmission. On the single lever how/can you increase engine speed for charging etc without putting the engine in gear?
A small button at the fulcrum disengages the transmission cam.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:50   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Hi Don, dont know what engine/throttle control you have, mine is Volvo, push a button in on the handle pivot/fulcrum dis-engages the transmission, and allows the lever to be pushed ahead to increases the RPM. When the handle is returned to the neutral position, the button is released.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:54   #5
CLOD

Boat: none
Thanks all. Guess this would have been apparent when I went to do it. Of course that's a 2 hour round trip to go look at.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:30   #6

My Yanmar controls have a single shift lever with a red button on the center of the hub of the lever. To throttle up while keeping the transmission in neutral, I push the button in while moving the throttle forward.

To be honest, the whole mechanism is plastic and flimsy and I dont like it...so I keep a spare on board of the whole assembly in case something breaks.
night0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:38   #7
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
On our Morse control you pull the lever out away from the hub to disengge the trans. it's a nice control- trouble free.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 16:03   #8

Boat: Schucker 436 motorsailor
Anyone know of a replacement for the old two handled Morse control (the one with a long removable black knobbed lever for the shift and the short red knobbed lever for the throttle? I cant fix mine and cant find any..
sailalibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 13:01   #9

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Battery charging with engine out of gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
On the single lever how/can you increase engine speed for charging etc without putting the engine in gear?
Don,
I think that you should not run your engine for some time if out of gear, because this will glaze the cylinders and remove their capability to retain a film of oil. If you need to charge the battery at the dock or on the hook, I would recommend that you put the engine in reverse gear.

There has been a thread on this subject sometime ago but I can't find it.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 13:07   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Don,

svHyLyte was correct for your new boat, if it's still in the original configuration. You'll find a button at the fulcrum of the control.
Old 31-01-2011, 13:11   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
To be honest, the whole mechanism is plastic and flimsy and I dont like it...so I keep a spare on board of the whole assembly in case something breaks.
Yes! Mine fell apart during a beercan race. We never found the rubber cap that kept the actual button in place. Replaced it with duct tape, and haven't ever gotten a new rubber cap. Why bother replacing duct tape with an original part that doesn't do the job as well as the tape?
Old 31-01-2011, 13:45   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
gorilla tape lasts a lil longer. besides whenye go to find parts--there aint none.. to tape, baling wire and the other race car fixit tools and parts work jist fine n dandy. mine on formosa is cute-- even bread bag twist ties..eeps... my ericson is good tho-- all origin al paRTS.... not yet corroded, even....yes i am in process of changing out the fastenerwannabes in my formosa steering.. isnt so scary anymore..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine