Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2018, 16:52   #16

Boat: Oday 25
Re: Size of outboard motor needed

Get the Extra Long shaft Tohatsu 6 HP. We are driving a 5000 lb Oday 25 with one, and getting 5+ knots at 3/4 throttle. The extra long shaft (25") keeps the prop in the water when the boat is pitching in head on waves, and the slightly bigger low pitch prop gives plently of thrust for a heavy boat. Especially good in chop and head wind for a small HP engine Will easily drive a 22 footer and is 40 lbs lighter than a 9.9
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 19:38   #17
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelrene View Post
I just picked up a free sailboat!!! 1979 Tanzer 7.5. Needs little to get on the water. However I need an outboard motor for it. Just wondering if there are other Tanzer owners and what do you use. Long shaft, short shaft. 5-10 hp. It will be for sailing on Lake Huron. Motoring out of marina and hopefully that’s all.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
I have repowered a 20ft, 26 ft and 32 ft sailboat. For a Tanzer 7.5, I would recommend a 5 - 8 HP motor.

Smaller and you could be wanting for more power; larger and you could be adding weight for no benefit. An 8HP will drive that boat to THS, any more and you’ll just squat in your stern wave.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 08:48   #18

Boat: '86 Catalina 25, swing keel

IMHO...... Go with a Honda 8 or 9.9 HP with extra long shaft of 25". Find a nice motor mount with a 14" lift range. They both weigh 107 pounds. On Huron, or any of the Great Lakes, you want the motor that will get you out of trouble more than the one that will simply get you in and out of the slip on a sunny day. Also, no matter the motor, be sure to follow all the recommendations for fuel and preventative maintenance. Your talking about a $4k investment that will last you for decades if properly maintained and stored (I have a 1999 Evinrude that just keeps plugging along but am always researching a new motor as parts are harder and harder to find, especially fuel pumps.)
Captain Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 18:31   #19

Boat: 1979 Tanzer 7.5

Thanks for all the advice. Hoping to berth in sarnia bay marina or sarnia yacht club. No need to tangle with the st Clair river then. I think I’m going with a8hp long shaft. Not sure used or new. Depends on what’s available in the area. No need for an alternator on the engine. I’m going to use solar panel and just a small battery setup. Going to look for chart plotter, wind indicator and speed/depth thru Hull. With radio and lights I figure a 100 amp hour battery should take care of my needs. Not a live aboard just going on day sails at first to “get the feet wet”.
michaelrene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, outboard, size