Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2010, 06:57   #1

Slow Drip from Impeller - Safe ?

I noticed that I had water dripping from my raw water intake impeller on the engine. I replaced the impeller, but I was a fool and misplaced this part of the impeller kit (a gasket):
https://shop.torresen.com/ships_stor...e=mdd&x=13&y=9

So I just continued to use the gasket that was there.

I still have a (much slower) drip. About one drip every 10/20 seconds or so.

My question is this.... Am I wrong in assuming it is safe to run it like this while I wait for a new gasket to be shipped to my next location where I can receive packages? That could be around 30 hours of motoring (we're on the ICW.) I ran it for a five hour run yesterday and the engine temperature was fine.

Or should I immediately replace that gasket/stop the drip before continuing?

As always, thanks for sharing your expertise.
sgtPluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 07:14   #2

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Safe is a relative term. As long as the engine is getting proper flow, ( 1 drip will not affect this), the engine will be safe. As long as you are on the boat and monitoring bilge level, and bilge pumps are working a small drip is safe. The risk of allowing a drip to continue is, it may in time erode a small groove in the base metal causing it to become a permanent drip later with the new gasket. If you have any sealant or grease a temperary gasket can be cut from a piece of cardboard. You have to make the decision of "how long" to risk erosion. 30 hours continuos? or 8/per day? The time I've seen this erosion was leaking more than a week. Good luck.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 07:31   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Where is it leaking from? The bearing seal or the cover plate?

If its the bearing seal then you need to replace the bearing and the seal. Chances are good the bearing is shot.

If it is the face plate then I would not worry about a slow leak like that in the short term. water pump">Raw water pump housings are pretty corrosion resistant.

Even if a small groove were to appear along the sealing surface, a little silicone sealant put on a new gasket would take care of that.

Some pumps use O-rings for the cover plate where you don't need to worry about a gasket.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 07:39   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
.. i am assuming this leak is not coming from the weep hole .. else you will need to remove impeller again and replace the water pump seal .. which i did about a month ago
Old 15-11-2010, 07:42   #5

Boat: Cabo Rico
I would think it would not be helpful to have salt water dripping anywhere near the engine. Probably not immediately dangerous, but certainly something I wouldn't ignore.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 08:35   #6

Boat: Endurance 35
I have have the same thing on my Jabsco pump on my 4108 Perkins, it was like a small water fall, I replaced all the lip sills and it has now reduced to pretty much the same as your sounds an occasional drip, I cant seem to improve it but at worst it will just corrode anything it come into contact with but still worth not ignoring!
JulianGullsway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 12:19   #7

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Usually a leak also means the system will be sucking air also. That can lead to the pump not sucking in the proper amount of seawater..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 17:56   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
Usually a leak also means the system will be sucking air also. That can lead to the pump not sucking in the proper amount of seawater..
Lets see--you say water leaking out under pressure means air leaking in under a vacuuum----doesn't sound like raw water pumps are your specialty.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 18:56   #9

Boat: Currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
I would think it would not be helpful to have salt water dripping anywhere near the engine. Probably not immediately dangerous, but certainly something I wouldn't ignore.
I agree. I once had a small (almost imperceptible) leak from my raw water pump seal. In a very short time, the entire crankcase cover under and behind the pump was covered with rust. Diesel engines are just not meant to be exposed to salt water.
Old 15-11-2010, 19:54   #10

Boat: CS 36 Traditional
Whether the water drips from the weep hole or the cover plate gasket I would't worry about it (since it is such a small drip) and go to your destination, keeping an eye on it, and then fix it. If the water comes from the weep hole then you need a new shaft seal, and better fix it pronto.

Good luck.
Gaucho Marino is offline   Reply With Quote