Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2019, 18:16   #31

Boat: Sabre 28
Re: Small Outboard (on a sailboat over 30')

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
\
And thinking about it, I'd hate to mount an outboard on a boat this size. It can be a nice looking boat if brought back properly, but that would take a lot of work.
Have you seen this?

Don't know if the Viking 33 has room in the back for that though. On my Sabre the rudder was in the way.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 21:30   #32

Boat: Volkscruiser

Thomm225 I hope this Viking is going cheap. It sounds like you know what you are in for, so I do not need to send my wife over to knock those rose coloured glasses of your face. (Its happened to me a few times)
If I was purchasing her I would seriously consider puttting a diesel engine in like this. If it is genuinely 700 hours then its fairly new. The outboard ideas good, but an inboard diesel for similar money would be better.
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...932280627.html
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 03:21   #33

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn67 View Post
Have you seen this?

Don't know if the Viking 33 has room in the back for that though. On my Sabre the rudder was in the way.

Shawn

Yes thanks. I got lots of info for my first boat from the Atom Voyages website

After owning 4 different beach cats over a 15 year period and racing them constantly, I thought I'd only use the outboard on my present boat to get it out of the marina etc but since I now had an engine I started using it more and more especially when the wind dropped.

I've used that 5 hp engine many times to get me home from 20 miles out.

Other times I use it to help me point and sail with mainsail only during light winds. It's so small and 4 stroke it's about as efficient on fuel as a diesel engine

The Viking's SA/Disp is 19.54 so it wouldn't take much wind to get it moving. The SA/Disp on the Bristol 27 is 14.28 and on the Beach Cats around 75.4

If I do buy the Viking, it won't be until November anyway which is when the rates at the boatyard drop to a decent price ($8.00/ft). It would still have to be towed over there most likely. And I'd still need to at least inspect the hull/keel before purchase
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 03:30   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Thomm225 I hope this Viking is going cheap. It sounds like you know what you are in for, so I do not need to send my wife over to knock those rose coloured glasses of your face. (Its happened to me a few times)
If I was purchasing her I would seriously consider puttting a diesel engine in like this. If it is genuinely 700 hours then its fairly new. The outboard ideas good, but an inboard diesel for similar money would be better.
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...932280627.html
Cheers
I'll consider a diesel if I do this since I plan to pull all associated equipment for the gas engine but then there are boats that are available right aon my present boat t my dock and for about what it would cost me to get the Viking back in shape.

Here's an Islander 36 for sale. I'm sure they'd come off the asking price some. I'd have to cover those interior cushions though. They'd freak me out too much otherwise playing tricks on my eyes

1977 Islander 36 36 Boats for Sale - North Point Yacht Sales

Then there's that old diesel. How long might it last?

Thoughts like this keep me on my present boat with it's 2011 engine and new dodger and mainsail cover, newer autopilots, tiller, 2012 8 oz mainsail, new LED Interior Lights, new shades, etc

Plus my boat is pretty fast on the right day. Here the jib furler is jammed and the main halyard fouled as I found out when I tried to raise it but I still had good speed . Winds gusting to 29 knots. Autopilot doing the driving at the moment. You can just hear it at the start

Old 17-07-2019, 04:02   #35

So the above post gets me back to the Viking.

As I was heading downwind on this day, I was happy that was the direction I needed to go.

Maybe an hour or so after this video, I see two boats coming North, beating into this wind. They appeared to be going to cross just in front of me and I didn't have the best control with just the one sail plus the boat would really heel quite a bit if I wasn't close to dead downwind during one of the larger gusts

But back to my point and the Viking. I passed between the two boats. The one designed more closely to the Viking but longer looked to be on rails even in this heavy amount of wind. He was looking really good and sailing a bit more off the wind than the second boat an older full keel design similar to my Bristol 27 but maybe 37'-40'. He was hobby horsing a bit most probably due to trying to point to much. I didn't know their destinations

So after seeing that lead boat I was thinking the Viking could probably sail into that wind in a similar way. On the Bristol 27, I would simply get pounded and make very little headway in that sort of wind and steep, closely spaced waves

Whether the Viking had an outboard or inboard wouldn't have affected it much unless you want to consider the A4's weight of nearly 400 lbs properly placed and down low
Old 01-06-2023, 13:27   #36

Boat: Northern 29

I too have a recently purchased Suzuki DF9.9BT with 25" shaft and high thrust 4 blade, 10in, 5 pitch prop installed on my Northern 29 (approx 7500lbs). It is still on burn in so I'm being careful about limiting the revs as per the procedure. On a perfectly calm windless day I was getting 3-3.5 kn at 2500RPM. I felt that at that speed the engine purred nicely. Higher than that and it felt rough and felt that I was wasting gas for negligible speed gain. I plan to take it out again and plot speed vs RPM to see where the results become non-linear. As a side note has anyone attempted the 9.9 to 15 (or 20hp) conversion (restrictor plate/ ECM change) on their sailboat and had positive results? Likely wouldn't try that while under warrantee but just curious about it for down the road.
Thanks
DonC
campbdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 13:30   #37

Sorry just noticed that this thread is quite old
Old 01-06-2023, 13:53   #38

Yeah I didn't get the Viking 33.

It reeked of gas from the ancient A4 engine and simply needed too much work along with a new or rebuilt A4.

I still have my Bristol 27 and have been using a 5 hp 4 stroke Mercury outboard with 25" shaft on it since 2011

It works fine. It mounted to an adjustable Panther bracket. My second Panther Bracket in photo from 2019.

I usually run it at 1/2 to 2/3rds throttle and can reach speeds of 5 knots in smooth water at times.

Folks at my marina have even commented on how fast my boat motors along.

They usually see me in the creek though and not in the Chesapeake Bay or Atlantic Ocean motoring/motorsailing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00160.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	276101   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00158.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	428.7 KB
ID:	276102  

Old 02-06-2023, 09:56   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbdon View Post
I too have a recently purchased Suzuki DF9.9BT with 25" shaft and high thrust 4 blade, 10in, 5 pitch prop installed on my Northern 29 (approx 7500lbs). It is still on burn in so I'm being careful about limiting the revs as per the procedure. On a perfectly calm windless day I was getting 3-3.5 kn at 2500RPM. I felt that at that speed the engine purred nicely. Higher than that and it felt rough and felt that I was wasting gas for negligible speed gain. I plan to take it out again and plot speed vs RPM to see where the results become non-linear. As a side note has anyone attempted the 9.9 to 15 (or 20hp) conversion (restrictor plate/ ECM change) on their sailboat and had positive results? Likely wouldn't try that while under warrantee but just curious about it for down the road.
Thanks
DonC
I'm about to buy the same engine on my O'Day 28, which has a similar weight.
How are things working out? Jim
jimd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 10:15   #40

I'm still evaluating. In forward it seems fine, on flat water/no wind getting about 3-3.5 kn at 25000rpm. I'm still in break in so going easy on her. Handling in reverse is taking getting used to since I have a wheel and steer with the rudder with the motor locked in the straight ahead position. So instead of the inboard's prop being ahead of the rudder, with the o/b it's behind it. It doeasn't have a tiller handle so I have the remote controls for shifting and throttle, and also power tilt. Both necessities in my case.

Tags
boat, outboard, sail, sailboat