Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2015, 05:57   #1

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Source of water pump rebuild kit for 3YM20

Hello everyone

I got stung by having to buy a water pump at Yanmar prices while away form civilization and do not want it to happen again. Does anyone know where can I buy the parts (and what are the part numbers) to rebuild those water pumps without payin Yanmar prices?

Many thanks!
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:10   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Source of water pump rebuild kit for 3YM20

It sounds like you still have the old unserviceable pump; if so, take the impeller into your local pump outlet and they will match it up for you. There are only a few impeller manufacturers and most likely it will be an SPX impeller. They willl also supply the cover gasket or o ring as required.

Take the seals and bearing to your local bearing supplier and again they will match them up. Just make sure they know the seals are for salt water not oil as they have different garter springs.

All these water pumps use generic seals and bearings.

Now you will have the part numbers for future reference.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:17   #3

Boat: Able 50

Every large Yanmar dealer sells separate impellers and gaskets. Just take in your diesel model code and engine number. You just found a small time guy with a small time parts list.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:09   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
It sounds like you still have the old unserviceable pump; if so, take the impeller into your local pump outlet and they will match it up for you. There are only a few impeller manufacturers and most likely it will be an SPX impeller. They willl also supply the cover gasket or o ring as required.

Take the seals and bearing to your local bearing supplier and again they will match them up. Just make sure they know the seals are for salt water not oil as they have different garter springs.

All these water pumps use generic seals and bearings.

Now you will have the part numbers for future reference.
Thanks for the info that the seals and bearings are not uncommon.
Problem is that boat and old pump and I are far away from "civilization" and need to buy the parts mail order, hence I need part numbers without the benefit of showing the old ones...
Old 07-09-2015, 10:12   #5

Try Depco Pump Company
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:17   #6

Boat: Able 50

If you know your engine serial number you can get any part you want. Yanmar sell their impellers and gaskets separately. I have bought plenty of both. Try one of the mail order parts dealers.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:06   #7

OK, you are not getting much traction here so you will have to do your own detective work. Fortunately its not hard, especially as you obviously have internet access.

I am assuming we are discussing the raw water pump.

First thing to know is that Yanmar don't make their own pumps, they buy them from the major pump manufacturers. If your engine serial number begins with the letter E, chances are the pump is a Johnson. If you can determine the make of your pump, it is even easier. IME, Yanmar just paint over the manufacturers name and model number when they paint the engine at the end of assembly. Have a very close look at your pump cover and see if there is a manufacturer and model number stamped into the metal and then painted over with Yanmar grey. With this information, the part number of the parts should be easy to find on the web.

If you can't determine the make and model, never mind, it just means a bit more investigative work needs to be done.

First the impeller, have a very close look on the face of the old impeller near the hub, you may still see the part number moulded in the rubber. If not, then you will have to measure the old impeller and search the web for a SPX impeller catalogue. The important dimensions are the overall diameter of the vanes, the number of vanes, the width of the impeller, the hub size and type.

Next is the seal, again, once removed and cleaned up, you should find its part number moulded on the larger face. I have never seen one that is unreadable but if you can't read it, measure it. The important sizes are the OD, the shaft diameter and the width. Also remember this is salt water seal, not a oil seal although the right size oil seal can be used in a pinch. Simply remove the spring steel garter spring from the inner part of the seal and replace with a suitable rubber o ring. Again an on line catalogue from seal manufacturers with be your friend.

Now for the bearings. You normally don't have to replace the bearing very often, they should last thousands of hours, not hundreds. However if sea water has got to them, you may need to replace them. You can tell by feel. If there is any slop in them or they feel gritty when rotated or noisy, you need new ones. Once again, the part numbers are often visible on either the inner race face or the outer race face. Clean and look carefully. Of course, they can be measured just like the seal. OD, ID and width is all that is required. Remember these are just general pupose ball bearings, nothing fancy. Try the big manufacturers on line, SKF or NTN or NSK or Timken etc.

To recap, your raw water pump will be made by a major pump manufacturer, the impeller, seals and bearing are all made by major manufacturers and sold to the pump manufacturer.
The part numbers are often still readable on each component but if not, they can measured.

Pumps made in Europe or Asia will usually be metric while North American pumps are usually imperial measurements.

Good luck, it's not hard if you still have the old parts.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 08-09-2015, 18:17   #8

Boat: Brent Swain design 36' steel sloop

scottmarinepower.com has good prices and shipped to me internationally no problem. honest and reliable. Toad marine has the catologues online and you can look up the parts you want. If you sign in it will remember your engine automatically. They also sell the parts catalogues for $70 or so-
sunbear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 19:10   #9

Quote:
To recap, your raw water pump will be made by a major pump manufacturer, the impeller, seals and bearing are all made by major manufacturers and sold to the pump manufacturer.
The part numbers are often still readable on each component but if not, they can measured.
Many thanks.

Here is a site that has cross references from Yanmar to Johnson, etc.

Yanmar Pump List

Unfortunately it does not mention the 3YM series. When I go back to the boat I will try to find the hidden Johnson numbers.

Thanks again.
Old 08-09-2015, 20:51   #10

Boat: Cloud Catamaran, Cloud 9, 10.6M, Rainbow Dreaming

I usually try Minards diesel for Yanmar support +61249143800 they can often supply used or rebuilt parts and ship anywhere
mjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 21:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
Many thanks.

Here is a site that has cross references from Yanmar to Johnson, etc.

Yanmar Pump List

Unfortunately it does not mention the 3YM series. When I go back to the boat I will try to find the hidden Johnson numbers.

Thanks again.
I will be in the local Yanmar shop next week and they have a new 3YMsomethingorother on the floor. If I get a chance, I will have a look at the raw water pump (and serial number series) and advise.

This won't be concusive as the water pumps are sometimes different depending where the final assembley is completed. Hence the earlier advise about the E serial numbers.

But it might help .
Old 09-09-2015, 04:23   #12

Quote:
I will be in the local Yanmar shop next week and they have a new 3YMsomethingorother on the floor. If I get a chance, I will have a look at the raw water pump (and serial number series) and advise.

This won't be concusive as the water pumps are sometimes different depending where the final assembley is completed. Hence the earlier advise about the E serial numbers.

But it might help .
Thanks. Yes, I have seen two different raw water pumps in these engines.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 22-09-2015, 18:49   #13

Quote:

But it might help .
Finally made to the local shop but can't add much help - sorry.

The raw water pump on the show room 3YMxxx was an unpainted Johnson pump but it had a Yanmar sticker over the model number. The sticker could be peeled off but I thought it better that I didn't peel off the sticker of their nice shiny engine. They did tell tell me the raw water pump was added in Australia.

Tags
rebuild, water