Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2016, 15:20   #1

Spark Plug Upgrade

Hi All,
I have a new to me boat with twin 1983 Crusadar's 7.4L 350HP. I would like some advise on upgrading the Champion rv8c spark plugs. I don't want to change them again for a long, long time. Any suggestions? I will call Crusadar Monday for their advise, however I like starting here because no one is trying to sale me anything...lol

Thanks for you time

RT
bankerboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 18:32   #2

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Spark Plug Upgrade

You don't say why you're changing the plugs or what you want to accomplish.

If the engines are in good condition, whatever is the stock plug is probably right. If the engines are oil burners, a hotter plug. Running a hot plug for no reason can cause piston & valve damage, and not very much extra power. If you are looking for economy, put in diesels.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 19:46   #3

Re: Spark Plug Upgrade

I purchased the boat from a marina selling boats in default of storage fee's. I wanted to install new plugs so that I would have a date to write in the maintenance log; a new log since the boat did not come with one. When I pulled the plugs I noticed they are Champions. I thought Champion plugs were cheapest plugs out there.

Plugs are not that expensive and I really don't want to change them out again for sometime. That's why I wanted advise/info on a better plug.

Thx
bankerboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plug