Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2021, 19:57   #16

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Re: Spay Nozzle down push rod hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
"has gone down the tight space where the push rod comes up to the rocker arm on the head. Yes, I pulled the valve cover off and confirmed the straw was not laying inside..."

I'm failing to understand how that red straw would go down there with the valve cover on...? You took the valve cover off to see? Or did it go down there because you already had the valve cover off...? Or maybe it went through the oil fill opening? Boy, seems unusual a straw that long would go through there and into the narrow gap... are you sure it didnt flip into the engine space?
At any rate, I would guess it's not an issue.

I cant remember, is there a side cover on the 4-108 to get at the valve lifters? It appears there is, item 32/33:
Spot on ,there is a side cover on the 4-108, easy access, you may need a gasket though.
Solid lifters, push rods are solid too, oiled from above.
The area where you dropped the Straw is open and flat inside.
Not to worry, I've been in mine it's open in there.
Probably laying in the bottom.
No worries!
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 10:43   #17

Boat: Trintella, IV, 40
Thumbs up Re: Spay Nozzle down push rod hole

thanks for all these good replies. Just FYI: It is actually a Perkins 4.326, not 4.108 - sorry. I am used to stating the other engine number from prior times (like still signing 2020 on dates in January of 2021). Sure it is mute point.

Also, called Perkins tech rep. He was not worried about it and talked about how they get demonstrations of engines run without oil, coolant, and dropping various sized metal things into them to see how much can get chewed up before something finally blows. He said something about it possibly blocking a valve which I did not really understand and also recommended pulling the push rod to see if it is there and, if not forget about it. I guess I will download the torc specks and pull the rocker arm off and rod out to take a look.

To the question regarding how/why it happened - yes, I initially had the valve cover off to coat the whole head, put it back on, decided to use the last of the can so opened the oil filler cap and put on the nozzle to spray inside and it popped off and could have only gone down that first rod's entry slot.

You guys are great! Thanks!!
RonTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 20:11   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Forgot to add you could PM Oldcal46skipper, he rebuilds Perkins, and ask his opinion.

Betcha he's found worse in their sumps.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:15   #19

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

My vote goes to not much of a problem.

The only issue I can see and it's an unlikely long shot. I don't see much chance it will get chewed up into bits if it has made it to the sump. It is possible, although still unlikely, that it may melt and find its way to the filter and partially block it allowing the bypass to open which could send it and any other grit through the engine oil galleries.

I'd try to find it.