Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2017, 13:35   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Split coupling removal.

Doing some out-of-the-water maintenance, including getting the prop shaft inspected and refurbished as necessary. What I thought would be the last tricky part of removing the shaft is proving to be a bear. I have a split coupling connecting the shaft to the transmission, and it's not budging. I was able to remove the two bolts losing the coupling together, and the set screw was no problem, but even with nothing holding it together it will not come apart. Not ready to hit it with a hammer yet, so would appreciate any advice to get it apart, after which my shaft should come out.

The picture below shows the coupling with the bolts out, and its soaking in PB Blaster. Hopefully tomorrow it will cooperate...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2476.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	150217

Also, I noticed what appear to be some deep scores in the shaft. Are these something serious, or just surface irregularities? Hopefully there's life left in the shaft, but if I have to replace it, now is as good a time as any...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2475.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	150218

Regards,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 13:44   #2

Boat: Dickerson 37AC
Re: Split coupling removal.

Just a guess that those score are from a cutoff wheel. Which is what the last guy used to remove split coupling.

You can drive some wedges in the split and smack those in. Add in some heat to coupling get thermal differential working in your favor. Use wet rag against tranny seal to keep heat off it.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the scoring, it's not underwater where I'd be worried about crevice corrosion. Certainly not helping but it's not in a keyway so it shouldn't be a big deal. At least from this far away.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal