Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2019, 11:46   #1

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Starter for Yanmar 4JH-DTBE

Yanmar wants nearly a grand for one. That's just stupid. Does anyone have a RELIABLE alternative for this?

TIA.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:05   #2

Boat: Vagabond 42
Re: Starter for Yanmar 4JH-DTBE

Pull the starter and take it to a starter rebuild shop. There are a couple in the Seabrook, Kemah area. They will do a complete rebuild for less than $100.

BTW... I know Merlin and have always really liked your boat. It was in this area many years ago.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:12   #3

Boat: F&C 44

This:
https://www.amazon.com/STARTER-4jh2-.../dp/B01J915JGA

Don't know how reliable but might be worthwhile to keep on board as a spare for little$.

I know a friend with a 4JH paid <$300 for a new one at an auto electrical shop in MD, that was over two years ago and boat is in constant use so at least as reliable as original.
SteveSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:12   #4

That option is one I've considered. Here's the deal: I'm going to pull the starter. Rather than put back a 29 year old starter, I'd like to put a new one in. Then rebuild the old one, and keep it as a spare. Or, do as you suggest.

BTW, Merlin is in Waterford right now. Pier 19. We got hit really hard by Harvey (cosmetically). Just now finishing up work. We've known the boat (and original owner) since it was nearly new. We've had it for almost 12 years now. Stop by and say hello - the boat is still a wreck below decks, but topside looks new! We will be back in 2 weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8236.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	185685  
Old 11-02-2019, 12:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSails View Post
This:
https://www.amazon.com/STARTER-4jh2-.../dp/B01J915JGA

Don't know how reliable but might be worthwhile to keep on board as a spare for little$.

I know a friend with a 4JH paid <$300 for a new one at an auto electrical shop in MD, that was over two years ago and boat is in constant use so at least as reliable as original.

I've looked at a couple of those. Here's the problem: 1) they often don't fit, and the sellers won't stand behind them and 2) they have been known to damage the flywheel. I don't want to go down that road... In addition, the swap out on this engine is no piece of cake.

P.S. That's a beautiful boat you have there.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:35   #6

Boat: F&C 44

[QUOTE]I've looked at a couple of those. Here's the problem: 1) they often don't fit, and the sellers won't stand behind them and 2) they have been known to damage the flywheel. I don't want to go down that road... In addition, the swap out on this engine is no piece of cake.[/QUOTE

Good point, often the cheapest price is not the lowest cost.

I agree no piece of cake, the oil return line from the turbo blocks one of the bolts, we could get a wrench on it but no room for a hand to turn it. Maybe on a tractor you can do it but not in the bilge of a boat. Wound up tying a line to the wrench, one would hold the wrench on while the other pulled the line, the snap as it broke free was music to our ears. BTW this is the third starter on that engine, the first two were original Yanmar.

...and thank you.
SteveSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 13:41   #7

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

Faced with a similar dilemma last year on a different engine, and up against a very tight schedule, I went with the chinese starter. Worked fine, but it's only been in service since May. I did inquire about a new one but even the manufacturer didn't have one in stock and it would have meant missing my biggest race of the season.

I kept the original Mitsubishi one and determined that just the solenoid was bad. So $20 later I rebuilt it myself and it's now a spare.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 14:24   #8

Boat: Morris Justine

In June 2014 I installed a new aftermarket starter on my 2001 Yanmar (3JH) - Spider Marine Electric Supply, Inc ($104). It has been working perfectly
ever since. My first choice was to get the OEM starter rebuilt, but the PO had already replaced it with an aftermarket one that wasn't worth rebuilding.
MooGroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 14:45   #9

Boat: Sailboat

This is almost funny, 2012 we returned via Waterford to the Great Lakes and we also needed a new starter for our 4JH2-TE, quickly. I ordered from MASCO a MAS-483 and it fit, as well as it works today.

I believe it fits your engine too, double check though:
https://mascostartersandalternators....t_detail&p=105
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:43   #10

Boat: Catalac 12 M

I have a 3JH3E engine I istalled an automotive starter for half the price of OEM
Use the boat extensively year round. After 6 years still no problems.
DrDelmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 13:10   #11

Boat: Casacde 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Yanmar wants nearly a grand for one. That's just stupid. Does anyone have a RELIABLE alternative for this?

TIA.
I had a similar problem, with a $400 3GM30F Yanmar Starter, and got similar advice/cautions from the community. Ultimately, I went to DB Electrical, who delivered to my home near Tacoma, for less than $100. Although sceptical, I did rebuild the original and keep it as a spare, it has lasted over 4 years and I have run that engine over 200 hours per year since then.
So far, I'd say it's a reasonably good deal.
I think you're missing a digit from your engine model.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 14:40   #12

Boat: Island Packet 40 cutter

I had to get one in Coinjock,Nc. bought it at O'Reilly's Auto parts was like $200
they price matched . The only place I could get one fast

i
Capt. Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 15:14   #13

I have a 1 GM which I purchased in the mid 1980's and converted to a gen set. In that time the water pump failed, the 12 VDC alternator failed and the starter motor failed along with the water cooled exhaust manifold. The starter keyed switch also collapsed internally. Every Yanmar replacement was just not reasonably priced and all the above were replaced with OEM parts. I sold the Kanzaki gear box, added a lay shaft which drives an emergency water pump and three compressors (one freezer, one air con., one (shallow) diving diaphragm compressor and a 5 KVA 240 VAC alternator). Obviously not all at once! (I do have regulation issues with the alternator though.) This engine does get a bit of a flogging.
It is a tragedy that many manufacturers seem to think that a customer is a captured market and that prices can be be allowed to become ballistic.
But I am sure that Yanmar are not unique in this area. Volvo also have much to answer for I think.
Often, when you check the original item with an OEM version, you make the interesting discovery that they actually are really precisely the same item. Same manufacturer. Different brands/labels.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 16:21   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01kiwijohn View Post
I think you're missing a digit from your engine model.

Engine model number is 4JH. No number, so it's then a "1". Made until 1990, which is the year of ours. 4JH2 came after it.
Old 17-02-2019, 16:25   #15

Location: France in summer, aboard GALAWA in Caribeans in winter.
Boat: Catamaran PRIVILEGE 435

Last month, I had a dead starter relay on my 1999 YANMAR 3JH3
I was offered a complete ( starter motor + starter relay+ base which is attached to engine with 2 bolts) as a YANMAR part for 585 US $.
My starter bore dual number : YANMAR numbers and HITACHI numbers.
The HITACHI numbers refers to exactly the same subassembly (Starter motor+ relay+ base)
I bought the complete HITACHI subassembly for 115 US$.

Tags
yanmar