Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2007, 08:35   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Starter motor re-wind/rebuild?

Has anyone ever had this done? How much does it cost? The reason I ask is that I live down the street from a motor reconditioning shop in Bangkok. I have watched them for the past 18 months and they seem to do very meticulous work (rewind by hand) and do everything from small motors to huge power-line transformers. I was curious whether they would rebuild a started motor for a marine diesel and they said "yes." Don't know what it would cost, but the labor is cheap and I suspect it would be fairly reasonable. I have the address and info if anyone wants to give it a go.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 00:26   #2

I have seen both starters and altenators rewound. Just a note that the windings rarely fail. It's usually just the solenoid or the brushes that fail in the starter.

Windings fail if you over heat the starter. Most people just crank away endlessly when there's a problem starting. You're supposed to limit the cranking to about 30 seconds then wait a few minutes for it to cool before trying again. Did you fry it?
Kapena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 00:42   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Yeah Kapena is correct. Are you certain it is fried? Bearings are the main culprits of starter malfunctions. Then overuns which can cause the armature segments to fly apart. I have never heard of a rewind required. If it is required, it should be fairly straight foward for anyone that does that. A starter is often no where near as close in tolerances as most electrical motors.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:48   #4
cruiser

Shops that rebuild starters are fantastic. If you can wait until you're in Maryland (don't know your exact situation), then you could take it to one like the starter rebuild shop I used twice while in Jersey.

I used it twice because I chewed up one of the starters they gave me through no fault of theirs.

Anyway, you simply walk in with your old starter, pay the rebuild cost, and walk out with a newly rebuilt one that same moment. Takes all of 5 minutes.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:52   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
i actually don't have a starter issue myself, but sullivan answers my question - i didn't know it was even done in the states.

i was more curious of whether i had a lead on a lost art here in Thailand.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild