Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2022, 15:50   #1

Boat: Island Packet 29
Starting engine after filter changes?

Whats the proper starting procedure after changing primary and secondary filters?.

Keep raw water seacock closed to prevent hydrolock while everything gets primed and you hold the start button?

Open raw water seacock and give it a shot as normal?

Engine is a Westerbeke 30B and has an electric fuel lift pump that does not activate with only a key turn. Preheat button has to be pushed at the very least….I think.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2022, 16:00   #2

Re: Starting engine after filter changes?

My method is to disconnect the positive connection to the electric fuel pump and touch it/connect it to 12 VDC positive (hot side of glow plug relay) and let it run until its RPM goes from high (pumping air) to "normal" RPM (pumping fuel).

If still won't start, crack open bleeder on the on-engine filter and re-run electric pump.
Wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2022, 10:46   #3

Boat: MIrage 29

Great information!

I am about to haul out my boat for the winter in Canada (5 months), and I am wondering for how long should I run the engine after replacing the oil and filter before the bear goes hibernating....
frajolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2022, 12:01   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by frajolex View Post
Great information!

I am about to haul out my boat for the winter in Canada (5 months), and I am wondering for how long should I run the engine after replacing the oil and filter before the bear goes hibernating....

Run it long enough under load (even if tied up in the slip in gear) so that the OIL, not just coolant gets up to operating temperature.

Anything less just leaves moisture in the motor over the winter.
Wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine