Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2021, 12:34   #1

Boat: Bayfield 29C Cutter
Starting engine after two years on the hard

Due to covid and other stuff my boat has been on the hard for two years. I have a checklist of filters and fluid changes, things that I have never done on a diesel but seem pretty straightforward.

The engine is a 2GM20F with 900 hrs. Very well maintained by the PO. My boat is located in Nova Scotia so there are temperature fluctuations. My question is: after not running for two years, should I remove the injectors and put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders ander it soak for a while?
and4ew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 13:26   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Starting engine after two years on the hard

Wouldn't hurt to oil the cylinders/pistons. Probably get by with squirting Marvel in the air intake with the compression releases activated. Don't think I've ever gone more than a year but after a lengthy hibernation have just turned the engine over for less than a minute with compression releases and the raw water intake seacock closed. Might want to slap a socket and ratchet on the crank pulley and turn it over by hand just to be sure nothing has frozen up in the respite.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 13:35   #3

I've re-fired diesel engines that have sat a decade or more. Change filters, check coolant, bleed any air from fuel lines, maybe turn it one full revolution by hand and then normal starting procedures. Don't make it any more complicated than need be.
EngineerRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 13:51   #4

I like to crank a stored engine until it develops oil pressure before letting it fire, but that’s just me.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 14:43   #5

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

The fitting which is used to send oil pressure to the oil pressure sensor often has an additional port, sealed with a screw. If you remove that screw (or the oil pressure sensor) you can use a pump type oil can to pressurize the whole oil system and push fresh oil onto the bearings. It is an easy thing to do, and if an engine has been sitting for a long time it's a good idea.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 16:24   #6

Boat: Morgan 382

On a gas engine, I would pull the distributor and use a drill to run the oil pump to get oil to the bearings before turning it over. I'm not sure how to do that on a diesel, but if you can find a way to spin the oil pump before you crank it, that would be the best thing you can do before starting it.

Otherwise, just make sure it has clean fresh oil in it.
Old 16-08-2021, 18:44   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerRetired View Post
I've re-fired diesel engines that have sat a decade or more. Change filters, check coolant, bleed any air from fuel lines, maybe turn it one full revolution by hand and then normal starting procedures. Don't make it any more complicated than need be.
With he said ^^ (my emphasis added).

If you are pedantic (like me and some others), yes spin the engine over decompressed for a few seconds to get oil pressure up before starting.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 09:08   #8

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by and4ew View Post
............My question is: after not running for two years, should I remove the injectors and put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders ander it soak for a while?
No reason to..........it is not like a carbureted gasoline engine that will gum up if not fogged before lay up. After returning from 3 years overseas my diesel Yanmar- driven sailboat and truck and gasoline-driven skiboat (fogged prior to lay up) started righ up without any maintenance other than oil and filter changes.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 09:57   #9

Boat: Nonsuch 354

If the engine is raw water cooled, replace the water pump">raw water pump impeller and gaskets. Almost certainly the impeller has taken a set and is also dry. At the very least squirt a generous amount of glycerin into it through the intake hose from the strainer.

If it has dried out and isn't lubricated you run the risk of having a bigger task to find and remove any impeller pieces that break off. Any could be lodged in a hose, perhaps blocking other pieces. Barring that, any pieces will probably be in the end of the heat exchanger where the raw water comes into it.

All this is from my own experience from letting an engine sit for 2 years.
Old 17-08-2021, 10:12   #10

Boat: Taswell 43

Following. There was just another forum on this similar subject. It's at:
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ine-59206.html .
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 10:17   #11

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C420sailor View Post
I like to crank a stored engine until it develops oil pressure before letting it fire, but that’s just me.
+1Best way, as oil will drain from the bearings after ~4 days or so.
Old 17-08-2021, 10:31   #12

If stored well I wouldn't worry about it.
The easier/better option is to crank it real short turns while spraying some diesel in the intake. This will coat more things like valve stems etc than spraying in an injector hole.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 12:13   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
No reason to..........it is not like a carbureted gasoline engine that will gum up if not fogged before lay up. After returning from 3 years overseas my diesel Yanmar- driven sailboat and truck and gasoline-driven skiboat (fogged prior to lay up) started righ up without any maintenance other than oil and filter changes.
The carb might gum up if not put to bed properly but the interior moving parts of the block are not much different from diesel in terms of getting oil moving thru the system.

No harm to manually crank it 2 full revolutions so all the parts have had a chance to run thru the full 4 cycle process but not critical. 1 week or 1 decade...the oil that will drain has drained. Within a few seconds, oil will be flowing thru everything.

Up north, this happens on an annual basis and it's nothing to see 30-40yr old motors that aren't worn out.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 12:40   #14

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerRetired View Post
Agreed!
Also, agreed with dadster3
Only addition is to check the fuel condition.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 14:01   #15

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

If the engine was prepared for storage / winterized, meaning the water pump is flooded with antifreeze, it should be good to go. If it sat dry?
Change it. As another poster said, you don't want to be chasing bits of broken impeller in the cooling system.

If the pump is good, I would turn the engine over by hand a dozen or so times, with the compression released, just to move some oil around. (If you don't have the hand crank a socket will do.) Then I'd try and start it. If you weren't having problems before, it should start right up.

FWIW I have the same engine and am in pretty much the same situation. The boat I bought has sat 3 seasons (including this one). I did the above, and it fired right up. Full disclosure - I did have the injectors rebuilt - but that was because there was a fair amount of black soot on the transom and I wasn't familiar with the engine. So, I pulled the injectors, took them in to be tested, was told they needed rebuilt and went ahead. They looked 'rough' and, for $237 and after 40 years, I thought it was worth it.

Tags
engine, on the hard