Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2012, 02:41   #1

Boat: Spray 33 Bruce Roberts design
Starting Problems Beta Diesel Engine

Beta Marine diesel engine starting problems.

I have a beta 33 HP diesel engine on board and as long as i can remember she has always been hard to start. I have replaced the fuel pipework last year and installed it as per beta marine new installation recommendations.
the engine willstart after 6 / 8 attenpts but at high revs even when she is operating and up to temperature to re start this after 30 min again she will not start al tick over revs but requires a lot of throttle.
a vibration has crept in at tick over even when warm (800rpm) but disappears at 1000RPM. While running at tick over speed I have loosened the fuel line to each injector in turn and noted a change in engine tone then tightened up. I have done this with each injector with the same result.

I think this is a fuel problem.... I have 1500 hrs on the engine

Any suggestions

john
donegalbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 02:47   #2

Is the fuel return tube looped low or always submerged in the tank (per Beta instructions)?
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 05:26   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: starting problems Beta diesel engine

Sounds like a fuel problem--vibration may be engine mounts going bad.

Try putting an outboard fuel squeeze bulb in the fuel line before the filter--if pressurizing the line with a couple of squeezes solves the starting problem, that tells you you need to work on your fuel lines/filters/tank some more.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 08:59   #4

thanks for the reply yes I have installed the fuel system and fuel return as per the beta manual.
john
Old 21-06-2012, 09:02   #5

Thanks for the reply and your suggestion yes this would be easy to do I will try it
thanks
john
Old 21-06-2012, 10:07   #6

Boat: 1984 Pearson 34, Sirena

I ended up replacing an engine that was hard to start. After replacing it (30 + years old, transmision going out etc.) a guy I know told me that the most common problem beside fuel problems is that the valves wear and the engine loses compression and is hard to start. He said he would buy these old mercedes diesels, adjust the valves and he would have a good running engine. Just a thought.

Dale
DaleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 10:59   #7

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Donegalbreeze, Welcome, I had a similar problem when I came down from Belturbet via the Shannon,Grand and Barrow to New Ross, it was caused by me slightly overtightening a fuel connection distorting the brass olive causing minute air ingestion at the connection. The engine will be hard to start and will run 'lumpy' (irregular) because of minute air bubbles in the system and insufficient fuel at low revs. start at the tank and check each connection scrupulously, any doubt renew it, it should solve your problem and you can stand me a stout when I come home. i hope this helps.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 13:36   #8
Marine Service Provider

Donegalbreeze, I think that Irish Rambler has the answer for you but I am going to add something else. As you say that it has always been like this I suspect that there may be a small piece of dust under the copper washer at the bleed screw. I have seen this cause air to come into an engine and not show up as a leak. Don's advice for an outboard squeeze bulb is a good one. You can leave this in line and it is much quicker when bleeding the fuel that using the lever on the lift pump.

Another point is that you may have a bad connection for your glow plugs. Please check all connections from the ignition switch through the multi pin connectors to the rail connecting the glow plugs. Also adjust the idle speed up to 900 instead of 800.

Stanley
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 14:10   #9

Boat: grampian 26

Do a leak down/compression test just to eliminate worn rings and leaking valves. Low compression will not allow the air to heat up enough to initiate combustion; one of the reasons many resort to starting fluid on older worn engines.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 22:43   #10

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

I would be of the opinion that at 1500 hours on the engine that you could discount engine wear, it's hardly 'run in'. I would bet a pint it's the fuel system.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine