Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2020, 23:23   #16

Boat: Westerly Discuss
Re: Starting Tohatsu M9.8 2 stroke (sat for 2 years)

Actually there was rust around that area, can you elaborate of the "nifty trick" ?
Old 13-06-2020, 23:26   #17

Boat: Westerly Discuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
Try turning the propeller by hand in gear, fog cylinders first.
Why didn't I think of that doh! Would you mind expanding on "fog the engine", I've read about anti seize oil, using WD40, spray lubricant, oily 2 stroke oil and even diesel. Are all of these OK for a 2 stroke engine ? Where do these products end up in the engine do they just burn off ? Learning as I go....but that was part of the original idea.
Old 14-06-2020, 01:07   #18

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

Oh, well if it was a upright engine, I,d say a teaspoon of oil down the cylinders, haven't done it with a diesel, never needed to and could be difficult getting it in, although a spray on the other side of air filter could work.
For 2 stroke, Suggest a spray of something with oil in it like CRC or WD40 it doesn't do anything to solve any corrosion, but it could uncrust a little rust around the piston rings. 2nd reason is help get a good seal to support compression. Would turn it over a few times with the safety clip not inserted.
Old 14-06-2020, 09:24   #19
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary howe View Post
Actually there was rust around that area, can you elaborate of the "nifty trick" ?
I will try to explain it. After you remove the recoil start assembly you will see a notched "starter pulley" held on with 3 bolts. In the center is a large nut. The first challenge is to get that nut loose. Rapping on the handle of the socket wrench while you apply pressure should do it. Unscrew that nut until it is flush with the top of the spindle. You will need a suitable flat metal object, the handle of my large crescent wrench works perfect. Loosely reinstall the starter pulley over the wrench handle and tighten all three bolts as much as you dare then rap on the wrench handle through the center hole and POP, it should pop loose! Once off sand the inside surface (where the magnets are) and sand the curved surface of the coil assembly to bright metal then reassemble.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 stroke