Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2016, 01:33   #46

Re: Steel in Keel Fuel Tank Overhaul or Plastic Tanks

Yesterday:
"But I doubt much of it, or I would have seen it in the filter bowl."

Today:
"There was evidence of it in the filter bowl."

Today:
"I'm not sure why your commenting about lead shot why would ballast be in my fuel tank and there isn't any lead shot int anyway. I emptied the tank in December."

Keels in steel boats often use the space above the ballast as a diesel tank. Lead ballast wasn't always compartmentalised by having a welded steel plate between the two spaces.
Did you really think I was referring to lead shot in your diesel tank?
Is this whole thread a wind-up?

edit: Something else has been bothering me. You referred to your injector pump being stuffed but, without checking back, I thought you had a VP 2003 - which has 3 separate cam-driven push-pumps not a rotary?
Those can be rebuilt quite easily if parts can be located, used replacements should still be around, injectors too.
Good luck with it anyway.
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:40   #47

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemack View Post
Yesterday:
"But I doubt much of it, or I would have seen it in the filter bowl."

Today:
"There was evidence of it in the filter bowl."

Today:
"I'm not sure why your commenting about lead shot why would ballast be in my fuel tank and there isn't any lead shot int anyway. I emptied the tank in December."

Keels in steel boats often use the space above the ballast as a diesel tank. Lead ballast wasn't always compartmentalised, ie having a welded steel plate between the two spaces.
Did you really think I was referring to lead shot in your diesel tank?
Is this whole thread a wind-up?
Perhaps English is not your first language? There is NOTHING contradictory between what I said yesterday and what I have said today. NOTHING. There is a LiTTLE bit in the bowl. Not much. Otherwise I would have seen much more in the bowl.

And as for the lead shot, I didn't understand what you were suggesting. But if boats were made with lead shot in their keels without the tank and shot being compartmentalised, then YES, I would describe that as lead shot in the tank.

If you think my request for advice on this is a und up, then you don't have to participate. It's that simple.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:23   #48

Accidentally hit "submit reply" while writing previous post instead of "preview post."
Hadn't intended to offend but some of your statements have been somewhat confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
If you think my request for advice on this is a und up, then you don't have to participate. It's that simple.
Happy to oblige.
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 21:34   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I've struggled with dirty fuel and this week the fuel has literally killed my Volvo Penta 2003T. So I need to repower as well. But before I purchase a new engine, I need to decide what to do with my fuel.

My 200+ fuel tank is in the keel. It's a steel boat. In November I thought I had cleaned the tank out pretty well when I was repainting the boat. But, I simply can't get at the sides from the top.

What I can do, is to cut one side out of the keel so I can get at the entire inside narrow tank. Clean it, get rid of the rust, treat any I can't get rid off, then paint the inside with aircraft tank sealer. Then weld a new side on to the keel, prime, and copper coat the repair. And finish up by sealing the inside of the new cover with a long paint brush. Cost would be minimal, maybe $500 for sealer and paints but a few days work.

The other option is I have two custom built plast fuel tanks made up to my specs to fit in storage cavities in the settee area. Not a lot of labour, but perhaps $600 each tank ($1200) plus two new deck fillers, pipes and fuel hoses to engine. Perhaps $2000? Then if I do this, I'd need to decommission the old tank. How do I do this? Do I fill it with sump oil? Concentrated anti corrosion liquid?

Note: the keel tank is not serviceable by the access covers. It's simply too narrow and too deep.

Hi Rustic Charm,

Have you thought about a high quality diesel fuel bladder. No more condensation (a problem for metal tanks) and the only fuel problem is the fuel you put in it from now on. Plus you will be able to repaint the tank and be able to remove the bladder for latter inspection
The baffles might have to be removed and everything smoothed off and an extra liner for the Bladder to sit in.
I have done this on a timber boat, removed all the huge tanks to be able to service the bilge, as there was not a way even for any inspection, just got it time before any major problems could start. I was super pleased with the bladders. This was done in the "nineties" and serived 8 years later with ease.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel tank, keel, overhaul, steel, tanks