Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2013, 17:28   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Re: Stranded in St Thomas

I agree with Guy - If the engine turns over with fuel put right in the cylinders, then it has to be an issue with fuel delivery.

I actually had issues with my snowmobile and had to troubleshoot. First issue I knew was the stator, but once replaced I still couldn't get it to start. Determined spark was good and engine would turn if I added fuel directly. Removed the fuel pump and connected it to a 12V battery and it wasn't sounding good. Replaced that and bingo. Sounds like your issues is very similar, but with slightly more complicated setup delivering fuel? Just need to figure out where the delivery issue is it seems.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 17:42   #17

OK. Have you loosened up all four injector lines, then cranked over until fuel comes out of each? Then tighten all of the lines back up. Will it start then?

I'd still keep the jerry can full of fuel in the system for now.

If no fuel comes out near the injectors, but there is fuel being bypassed, recheck the fuel stop lever/linkage.
dannobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 17:56   #18

Boat: Pearson 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannobee View Post
OK. Have you loosened up all four injector lines, then cranked over until fuel comes out of each? Then tighten all of the lines back up. Will it start then?

I'd still keep the jerry can full of fuel in the system for now.

If no fuel comes out near the injectors, but there is fuel being bypassed, recheck the fuel stop lever/linkage.
Yeah. I know that the Perkins is the beast to bleed, but I put gallons through those injector pipes.

Fuel stop lever definitely open.

And yeah, the jerry can at least removes my tanks, tank stop solenoid and plumbing from the process.

Thanks for replying Dannobee!
Wonko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 18:10   #19

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Looks like very thorough troubleshooting.

Is the fuel in the Gerry can the same in the tanks? Is it possible you have poor fuel quality or worse the wrong fuel?
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 18:11   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
I'm still a newbie on diesels, but if you have compression and fuel, there are three things left to start a diesel- compression, adequate fuel and heat....how are the glow plugs???
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 18:14   #21

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Is there an easy way to prove the return line is returning fuel back to the tank? From the posts, does not appear that fuel is getting to the engine, something is blocking it IMHO. No expert here!
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 18:16   #22

if there's no fuel spring from the injectors one way or another it is the fuel delivery problem weather ip or something south of that
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 18:18   #23

[QUOTE=motion30;1214311]if there's no fuel spraying from the injectors one way or another it is the fuel delivery problem weather ip or something south of that. NOT.TIMMING. AND NOT COMPRESSION
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 18:36   #24

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
if there's no fuel spring from the injectors one way or another it is the fuel delivery problem weather ip or something south of that
I agree, and with a gravity fed ip from a Jerry jug... If the pump and lines have been properly blead it has to be the pump.

Sure wish there were an easier answer, or a known good pump available.

Pumps can be assembled improperly... Wonder if a call to the rebuilder might help?
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 18:37   #25

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Remember, Suck,Squeeze,Bang, Blow! They are all the same! If ya have compression and fuel to the injectors at the proper time it will run Period. Sounds like you did what we would all do in your checking things out but ya missed something some where ! cus if it runs from a fuel can then is should run on the fuel tank unless theres a stopage or contamination somewhere ! I think I would start over and check each step a little better, I always leave timeing both fuel and advance and retard till theres nothing else to check! cus in 30+years of fixing and breaking diesels, air in the fuel system has been the biggist problem I have found ! Next is broken parts in the Valve area! And it seems that you have checked all that !
Old 18-04-2013, 18:39   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonko View Post

Is there something I am missing? I used the bleed procedure from the Westerbeke service bulletin from my book.

WWW.GalleyWenchTales.com
I know it sounds simple but, did you check the engine shutoff cable? Made sure it is all the way in? Guess how I know?
Old 18-04-2013, 18:49   #27
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Google for how to run a diesel from a can of WD40 (basically short bursts into air inlet, control rpm with length of bursts).

When you get it to run like that (it will run on WD40 just fine), run the diesel fuel from a small glass jar with the return line also into that jar. Now you can see if any diesel fuel actually gets used or is just all returned back..

If injectors inject fuel, the diesel fuel will take over from the bursts of WD40.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 18:50   #28

Boat: Oyster 53

We had a very similar problem that stranded us in the Sudan - not as nice as where you are stranded now. We also had a Perkins, this one was a 4-236.

Our problem, after trying absolutely everything like you have done, was the fuel shut off valve that another poster mentioned. We got a local mechanic on board who only spoke Arabic. He jimmied the fuel shut off valve back and forth really hard a couple of times and BOOM she started right up. It may look open, as ours did, but the dang valve was just lying to us. Jimmy the sucker and let us know if that does anything.

Good luck.

Dhillen
Old 18-04-2013, 18:57   #29

Hello,

Have you reviewed the Westerbeke service bulletins?

#153 may help you .....

westerbeke, marine generators, engines, Official Site

Good luck,

Mike
mbuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 19:09   #30

Boat: Hunter 25.5
Cummins ISX series motors initially had an issue with their high pressure delivery pump that caused similar failures. They just stopped running with no warning. Symptoms during diagnostics were low fuel psi during cranking.

I realize these are unit injector systems that don't utilize an injector pump, but!

What was found to cause these failures was a hex shaft coupler that drove the pump off the cam had worn to the point of slipping due to the constant load/unload cycle of the torque against the coupler.

This just came to mind as I read your diagnosing. I'll admit I'm not familiar with your motor but hey you never know.

Good luck!
WrenchBender is offline   Reply With Quote