Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2015, 13:00   #31

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
Re: Stuck in ft Lauderdale with engine problems

You need to plan on the worst/ no engine. That means tow it all the way and with all the draw bridges the only way that can work if if you have a partner tied to your stern so you can stop to wait for the bridges. You also should have a hand held radio for communicating with the bridge tenders and your partner in the trailing boat. Have lots of gas and plan on a slow trip. I hope you get your engine issue solved but starting this trip with an unproven repair and no partner in a second boat is not smart. Good luck.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 13:51   #32

Boat: Beneteau 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan342 View Post
Thanks for the help. I am going to bleed it and try in the morning. I dont want to crank up the engine and disturb the neighbors
Sir, your a considerate gentleman. Have a great seasonal holiday and healthy happy 2016
Peter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 14:25   #33

If it's a sailboat you are not going thru Miami with much mast height. Sail around isn't bad.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 02:22   #34

Boat: Shannon 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If it's a sailboat you are not going thru Miami with much mast height. Sail around isn't bad.
I would second the "outside route" suggestion even if your mast height is below 56 feet, though the forecasted SE winds aren't great for sailing south. As mentioned, the current is wicked at Dania, and because of the volume of Ft Lauderdale radio traffic, your call to the bridge tender may get "stepped on" - and it hardly matters. That bridge is on schedule and they won't open for you otherwise, and the bridge goes up too slowly to be of help if it were an emergency. Other bridges also have tidal currents that can pull you in - thinking particularly of Sunny Isles. Some bridge tenders want you close to the bridge so that when it opens you can shoot right through. I've had bridge tenders tell me "I'll open when you get closer" while I'm thinking "I'll come closer when you start to open!" (Thinking about how long I'd need to get the anchor down if the engine died.)

I'd also recommend the Cape Florida Biscayne Bay entrance over Pt Everglades; the former is more forgiving if the engine dies - you might run aground but less likely to get run over.

Best wishes!
Virginia Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 09:19   #35

and if you can wait for the more normal NE wind it can be a great sail most the way.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 09:50   #36

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

I second Complete Yacht Service. Reasonably priced and very good work.

I also second sailing outside in any wind but south. You can tack a little and cut into Biscayne Bay under sail easily at Stiltsville.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 09:57   #37

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Sailing out would be a nightmare, imo, we just went through ft lauderdale it was very crazy with a motor. Also they locals( bridge attendants, working boats) don't like it one bit( unless you are a tiny day sailor). My advice for what it is worth is to stay where you are and get it fixed. If you leave and end up being towed in many marinas will turn you away, they do not usually let a boat under tow into their Marina due to derelict boat problems.
Our friends have just gone through what you are going through, in ft lauderdale, they have a Morgan 385. After dealing with a bunch of no show mechanics they fixed the problem themselves. It seems like similar symptoms and was a blocked elbow( if I understand correctly).
Pm me and I'll give you their contact info.

Cheers,
Erika
Old 28-12-2015, 12:58   #38

Sounds like a partially plugged exhaust. When full power is called for the engine can't breathe and the fuel will build up. Look for something that may have blocked it.
Transpac 67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine