Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2024, 17:00   #1

Stuffing box

Is it possible to repack a stuffing box with the boat in the water with low to moderate risk?
DiscoveryinSac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 17:35   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Stuffing box

For sure....have everything ready before hand.....have the new packing flax cut to size already.
I like to cut circles that fit around the shaft "exactly" I will make at least three of these "circles" and rotate the cut end every 60 degrees or so around the prop shaft..
There is a special tool made to assist in getting any old flax out, kinda looks like a thin cork screw, but a thin screwdriver will also do the job.

Make sure you have the right size packing flax before you start!!! Very important !! There are a variety of modern stuffing box flax you can purchase, but most any will work.

Make sure the exposed threads on the stuffing box gland are clean.
Also ensure you have the room to unscrew the stuffing box cap and shove it backwards, as sometimes, there is scant room between the stuffing box and shaft flange.

Then loosen the screw down cap and push it backwards. There will be a lock nut in front of it, which needs to be backed off first.

You will obviously see some water come inside the boat, but if you work quick in inserting the new packing flax, it will not amount to much.

It will help to have some decent light shining on the stuffing box so you can see what you are doing.

I've done this several times. If I'm quick, I can do it in 5 minutes. I doubt more than a gallon of water comes into the boat. Needless to say, your bilge pumps should all be fully functional.

You'll find you'll have to insert one circle and push the cap back on to drive the circle back inside, then unscrew the cap and insert the second circle.
Sometimes you can only fit two circles in there. If that's the case, you're done.

I screw the cap back on so it doesn't leak at all. With the engine on, and in gear, I'll back the cap of a tad to allow a tiny sprit of water while in gear. Some people figure on a single drip per minute or thereabouts, but once the engine stops, there should be no more drippage. It's a fine line. Make sure the lock nut is tight as you do not want the cap to unscrew itself. I like a dry boat

Trust this gives you some guidance. It's how I do it, but others may have their own system.

You can probably find some " how too video's" on youtube. I looked. Many vids.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 17:46   #3

Most helpful. Many thanks. I'm just concerned that if things go sideways on me during the process, it'll sink before I can put it back together. Does the incoming water have much pressure\force?
Old 19-02-2024, 17:48   #4

Its for a Cal 29 btw
Old 19-02-2024, 18:00   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Yes, the incoming water will have some pressure behind it. Not so much that you can't get the new circles inside the stuffing box, but certainly some pressure.

I should add, inspect all the clamps that hold the stuffing box to the end of ...usually...a rubber hose on the shaft log. You don't want any problems here. There are usually two or three on the back end of the hose clamping it to the shaft log tube and another two or three containing the stuffing box. These are often corroded, sometimes even broken. If so, replace these first before starting.

If in doubt, have a pro come do it for you, give you piece of mind or at the very least have someone on " stand by". Most marina's are bound to have an engine mechanic floating about somewhere.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 18:10   #6

Excellent. Thank you so much..
Old 20-02-2024, 00:10   #7

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Suggest you have a beeswax toilet setting seal on hand.
The wax can be formed into a quick temporary seal,if things go sideways
Old 20-02-2024, 09:11   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41

Had to do this on our boat (during haulout, yard had stupidly put in wrong size packing)... repacking went without a hitch (by a different yard, in the water). Maybe we were lucky, but almost no water ingress.

Hopefully you have good/easy access to stuffing box.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote