Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2012, 13:02   #1

Stupid Check: Moeller Fuel Tank Installation

So, this tank I'm using temporarily has a vent plug, a fill plug, and a fuel outlet plug (that goes to the engine).

The fuel outlet plug sits at the top of the tank and doesn't have a tube that goes to the bottom of the tank. Not to be dense about it, but if the lift pump starts sucking on that hose it's just going to get air from the tank vent?

Aren't these things supposed to have a tube or something that sucks fuel from the bottom of the tank?

Here's a link that shows it, check Figure 1 there:

How to Install Moeller Permanent Fuel Tanks
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 13:14   #2

Boat: grampian 26
Re: stupid check: moeller fuel tank installation

There has to be a fuel pickup tube that extends to near the bottom. There is usually an inlet for a fuel return line for the injectors if it is a diesel.
If you are handy at soldering you can solder a piece of copper tube into the brass fitting.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 13:31   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Stupid Check: Moeller Fuel Tank Installation

There must be a tube running to the bottom of the tank from the fuel supply outlet, otherwise it would not work. See Figure 1.

How to Install Moeller Permanent Fuel Tanks

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 15:21   #4

Boat: Currently boatless

Moeller tanks come with a pickup tube that extends to the bottom of the tank. The pickup tube has a screen at the end, that should be removed for a diesel installation.

They are also configured without a fuel return port. Moeller sells a diesel fuel return integrated with fuel level sender, but the port is too small for many diesel engines. A workable solution is to use a tee at the vent port and bring the return line there.

Also don't expect any customer support from moeller--it does not exist!

Their web site has some instructions and drawings that are helpful.
Old 20-10-2012, 18:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Moeller tanks come with a pickup tube that extends to the bottom of the tank. The pickup tube has a screen at the end, that should be removed for a diesel installation.

They are also configured without a fuel return port. Moeller sells a diesel fuel return integrated with fuel level sender, but the port is too small for many diesel engines. A workable solution is to use a tee at the vent port and bring the return line there.

Also don't expect any customer support from moeller--it does not exist!

Their web site has some instructions and drawings that are helpful.
Huh... I checked the interior and can't see any kind of fuel pick up tube, but I'll pop the inspection port and get a better view. If I can't find anything, hopefully I can order or figure one out easy enough.

Good idea regarding t-ing in for the return line into the vent.

This is a temporary solution until I can fully repair my fuel tank, so I just need to get "good enough" here.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 18:29   #6

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Huh... I checked the interior and can't see any kind of fuel pick up tube, but I'll pop the inspection port and get a better view. If I can't find anything, hopefully I can order or figure one out easy enough.
If there's no pickup tube, it's a factory defect. I'd exchange it, if possible.

If the fuel pickup fitting on your tank is "pop-lock", be aware that once you take it off it's very difficult to put it back in. You can find instructions here. By the way, this is the reason to remove the screen from the pickup tube. If you get any gunk in the tank, the screen will get plugged up, and taking the fitting off, cleaning, and replacing, all while the boat is bouncing up and down, is really not fun. Don't ask me how I know. A nice big Racor fuel filter is much easier to change.

Tags
fuel, installation