Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2022, 13:54   #1

Boat: Northern 29
Suitable Outboard Motor for Northern29?

Hello, I might be needing to switch my Northern 29 away from it's inboard Atomic4 (gas) motor. Are there any suggestions on a make/model or outboard motor based on your experience with this make/model of boat? It does have a sloped transom and with swim ladder in centre of transom.

I'd assume either a long or extra longshaft type would be required.

Thanks in advance!
DonC
campbdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2022, 14:11   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Suitable Outboard Motor for Northern29?

Definitely 25" extra long shaft.

I have a 5 hp sail pro Mercury because I like the integral tank which allows me to get off the dock and out the creek without any connections to the outboard.

James Baldwin used the 6 hp Tohatsu on his Triton 28 and other boats he has refit

Also get the bracket with the longest throw and adjustable

I removed about 400 lbs of diesel engine and accessories and replaced with a 58 lb outboard.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B27 Stern.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	486.6 KB
ID:	266513   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00170.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	448.7 KB
ID:	266514  

Name:	DSC00171.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	266515  
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2022, 14:31   #3

Boat: Tartan 3800

You have two main choices to make:

1) Whether you get a 6 hp motor, which will be sufficient but barely so, or a 10 hp motor, which will be ample. The 6 hp motor can have an integral fuel tank which simplifies the installation and frees up deck space. The 10 hp motor will require a remote fuel tank, and you either have to find room for one, or plumb in the existing fuel tank for the Atomic 4, which means you have to be sure the tank, lines, filler, etc all work reliably and are leak free.

Either way you want a "high torque" motor which will have a larger prop and a gear ratio more suitable for a sailboat.

2) Whether to get a bracket that will allow the motor to be moved up and down. These add flexibility and are the only way to get the motor completely out of the water on a heel, but they add installation expense and complexity, and can lead to a more physically awkward installation where the motor is harder to reach.

Without a bracket you should probably look for an extra-long-shaft motor. With a bracket you may be better off with long shaft depending on the installation.

As for vendor, I don't believe there's any significant difference in these sizes. Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu, Honda. Chose among what is available, price, and local service and parts availability.
Old 30-10-2022, 14:35   #4

Also FWIW there are no other sizes to consider. 4 hp is too small, 5 hp motors are derated 6 hp, and 8 hp motors are derated 10 hp, on all outboard motors I'm aware of that are now being sold in the USA. 15 hp is a choice I guess but probably way more than you need.

Finally look into electrical charging capability if that is important to you as there is some variation among makes and models
Old 30-10-2022, 15:23   #5

Btw my 5 hp outboards didn't have ab alternator because I would never want to run an engine to charge batteries.

I have always used solar .......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0639 (5).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	455.6 KB
ID:	266522   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0642 (4).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	464.8 KB
ID:	266523  

Old 30-10-2022, 15:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Btw my 5 hp outboards didn't have ab alternator because I would never want to run an engine to charge batteries.

I have always used solar .......

It's not about sitting there running the motor in neutral to charge.

The idea is that under those circumstances where you are running the motor anyway you pick up some electricity.
Old 30-10-2022, 15:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
It's not about sitting there running the motor in neutral to charge.

The idea is that under those circumstances where you are running the motor anyway you pick up some electricity.
Yeah that's nice but I don't want wires or controls going to the outboard,

My plan would be when cruising long distance to put the outboard on the stern railing where the dinghy outboard used to go or store the outboard in the V berth or lazarette locker

See motor mount on stern railing in attached.

The less the engine runs the better.....its not as bad as a two cycle or a diesel but still smells

Btw this is the first sailboat I have had with an engine. I've had 6 total.

The other 6 boats were small power boats. 5 with two stroke outboards and one with an old bearcat 4 stroke

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0639 (5).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	455.6 KB
ID:	266525  
Old 30-10-2022, 15:59   #8

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

If you are going to be using the boat in salt water I highly recommend that you do not buy a Suzuki. The problems with the head/block water passages corroding shut after about 2-3 years use in salt water is well documented in several threads in this forum as well as my own personal experience.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 05:38   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

My pick would be the Yamaha 15hp 4 stroke. Small outboards often get run full out No durable well built motor like full blast. The 15 will likely get the best fuel consumption and have the power to contest the unknown.
I’ve been driving i6 BMWs most my life. Love ‘em. One day I ended up with a Geo Metro as a loaner while my 3L 330i got repaired. The 3 cylinder geo got worst mileage than the 280hp BMW.
Like the smooth power of BMW Yamaha really have similar durability with the 9.9-15. Both have remote control options and electric start.
I think the 9.9 base is 3600$ there about. They have specific remotes for different boats. I’m familiar with their Zodiac/ Yamaha remotes and they are perfect. I understand but have not studied the sailboat remotes and they include gauge start power. Choke is now automated. It’s Yamahas systems which are impressive.
I have an 19 year old Yamaha 4hp 4stroke. Has over 2,000 hours pushing 3 dinghy’s. Runs and looks perfect. Lying down even on the proper side wets the plug often fouling it. It’s had nothing but Castro synthetic from day one and stored indoors in the winter.
I have a new 9.9. Covid delayed our remotes which were another 600$. It got Castro synthetic day one also.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 05:49   #10

What Captain Bill said.
Old 03-11-2022, 05:56   #11

Every morning I drove by C&C factory window where they usually had 3 hills being finished. Was a great place to be stuck in traffic. I was a power boater at the time with no clue the Atomic gas motor was in these beauty’s. I did hold my breath and quietly curse 2 stroke sailboats firing up and calling me a stink pot. Really.
I’ve since helped repair several Atomics. I kinda like the little fellas but they are so out dated when they were installed. The solution may be diesel and I’ve seen two installations. Your only issue is the fuel tank filters and a return line to tank.
Check them out

https://betamarinecanada.com/atomic-...nt-guidelines/
Old 03-11-2022, 10:53   #12

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

As someone with a 29' with an outboard I will say get a 9.9hp with the "power prop" and gear ratio. 15 hp is more than you'll need but if it is the same size and weight, go for it. Almost all of them have that version. Yes also to the electric start/charger. Honda and Yamaha have good reps. I have a Tohatsu which has served me well so far. The length of the engine depends on your overhang. In my case the long shaft (not extra long) is the right length. I don't have cavitation problems and any longer and it would not be completely out of the water when lifted up. I have a mount/hoist built by the original owner who was an engineer, and he did a great job getting the geometry right. It lifts straight up using an old mainsheet and blocks in 2 seconds, without having to lean over the rail. I recommend building one similar if you can. (I do not have to tilt the engine up, which is great for rinsing the engine out.) If not, go to "Catalina Direct" and look up outboard mounts and get the one with the longest throw.
Feel free to see my set-up:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...lbums5421.html

edit: oops, I should have gone to a photo of a Northern 29 before I spoke. In your case I believe you'll need an extra long shaft and when you attach the mount you'll need to add spacers to make it lift vertically, ideally.

Nice boat!!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2022, 14:54   #13

Boat: Northern 29

Thanks again for the responses. I believe I've narrowed things down to a 9.9 hp extra long shaft 4stroke motor. My remaining uncertainties are...

a) will a long shaft do?
b) any advice on mounting brackets for motor of such weight?
c) probably I need some type of wedge to provide a vertical facing on my sloped transom

Thanks in advance
campbdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2022, 15:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbdon View Post
Thanks again for the responses. I believe I've narrowed things down to a 9.9 hp extra long shaft 4stroke motor. My remaining uncertainties are...

a) will a long shaft do?
c) probably I need some type of wedge to provide a vertical facing on my sloped transom

Thanks in advance
A. A long shaft would "do" but the motor would come out of the water quite often.

B. Get the bracket with the longest throw / reach.

c. Mine has a slight wooden wedge ....opposite from what you would use. Or rotated. On top of that I have my bracket tilt maxed out as you can see.

For you it would all be reversed. This is my second bracket as my 5 hp 4 stroke outboard wore out the first on.

The strongest Garlick Bracket might be best for you with a 9.9 hp.

Something similar to this:

https://leadersrpmshop.com/garelick-...CABEgJIovD_BwE

Also be careful with the hand tightening knobs. Mine would vibrate off so I replaced them with teflon nuts on the second one before I lost them.

In photos, my bracket is down in the second of four slots
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00171.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	268019   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00173.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	434.0 KB
ID:	268020  

Old 27-11-2022, 17:09   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbdon View Post

a) will a long shaft do?
Depends on the bracket and the specifics of your installation. You have to engineer this stuff. It's not something anyone can figure out from 1000 miles away from a photo or two.

You have to measure, or determine based on the drawings of the bracket and the measurements you have made of the transom, the distance from the top of the bracket to the water, while the bracket is in the "down" position (if movable). If it's 20" you need a long-shaft motor. If it's 25" you need extra-long. If it's in between you need to move the bracket up or down so that it is in the right spot.

Quote:

Get a good one that allows the motor to move up and down as much as possible. The makers specify a weight limit, be sure it matches the weight of the motor you have in mind (probably just over 100 pounds).

Quote:

Yes, so make one, or have whoever you pay $135 an hour to for that sort of thing make one.

Tags
motor, outboard