Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2022, 06:51   #61

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport
Re: Suzuki DF 9.9 runs then not

Thanks again gents. Part is already ordered, so I am afraid that is water under the bridge. Insofar as the warranty is concerned, I bet I would be screwed - the prior owner of the boat was one of those boat share companies. As BYD suggests, that is likely to have been five years of less than loving care. I strongly suspect Suzuki would say that was commercial use, which few warranties cover.
The sailing season in the Chesapeake is short - I am eager to get her in the water and sail. The dog days of July and August will be upon us soon.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2022, 21:44   #62

Please update us once part is installed. Kind of looking forward to the season finale!

Best of luck! Hope this works for you!
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 05:02   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
Please update us once part is installed. Kind of looking forward to the season finale!
Indeed - let's hope this is the finale and the problem is not like the character in the horror movie that you think is vanquished, only to rise up again.
I will definitely follow up - the 'need help' threads that just go silent from the OP make me crazy.
Old 05-06-2022, 11:42   #64

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
Indeed - let's hope this is the finale and the problem is not like the character in the horror movie that you think is vanquished, only to rise up again.
I will definitely follow up - the 'need help' threads that just go silent from the OP make me crazy.
How's the battle?
Any parts yet?
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 16:58   #65

Hi All
Thanks to BYD for the prod. Not a lot to report but here's how the parts thing unfolded. I called the shop last Tuesday and they told me the part is back ordered. From Japan. So, I called the place that I usually mail order my parts from, Brown's Point Marine in Keyport NJ (just the other side of Raritan Bay from Perth Amboy, for you Springsteen fans). No problem, they had four of them at the regional warehouse.
I got 10% off list and no sales tax, which for a $450 part cuts $72 off the cost (but I did have to pay shipping), which is enough for a dinner out.
I just got the notice from UPS that the part is due in to me tomorrow, then I have to drive it out to the shop.
So, maybe the end of this week I might know if that fixes the problem.
Don't know about you guys, but I find this bizarre. How can an authorized Suzuki dealer tell me the part is back ordered from Japan when there are multiple ones sitting in an east coast warehouse? Maybe that warehouse is just for Brown's Point? Brown's Point web site does say that they are the largest Suzuki parts supplier in the world.
My repair guy was very nice when I called, I started out with the non-confrontational approach and just gave him a heads up that Brown's Point had it - he said go for it and they will just miss the opportunity to capture the mark up on the part.
But here's a takeaway for us all - if you need Suzuki parts, Brown's Point is the place.
Old 05-06-2022, 17:40   #66

Quote:
Hi All
Thanks to BYD for the prod. Not a lot to report but here's how the parts thing unfolded. I called the shop last Tuesday and they told me the part is back ordered. From Japan. So, I called the place that I usually mail order my parts from, Brown's Point Marine in Keyport NJ (just the other side of Raritan Bay from Perth Amboy, for you Springsteen fans). No problem, they had four of them at the regional warehouse.
I got 10% off list and no sales tax, which for a $450 part cuts $72 off the cost (but I did have to pay shipping), which is enough for a dinner out.
I just got the notice from UPS that the part is due in to me tomorrow, then I have to drive it out to the shop.
So, maybe the end of this week I might know if that fixes the problem.
Don't know about you guys, but I find this bizarre. How can an authorized Suzuki dealer tell me the part is back ordered from Japan when there are multiple ones sitting in an east coast warehouse? Maybe that warehouse is just for Brown's Point? Brown's Point web site does say that they are the largest Suzuki parts supplier in the world.
My repair guy was very nice when I called, I started out with the non-confrontational approach and just gave him a heads up that Brown's Point had it - he said go for it and they will just miss the opportunity to capture the mark up on the part.
But here's a takeaway for us all - if you need Suzuki parts, Brown's Point is the place.
Hey, thanks for the update.
Wow, sorry for your trouble.

It's uncanny how information seems so unavailable in a world full of info.

I've always wondered how every nut bolt and washer could ever be accurately inventoried and catalogued.
It's apparent, we do the best we can, with what we have.
If this is the fix, it should be a good runner.
Fuel metering is uber important in a fuel injected engine for performance.
Boatyarddog
Old 13-06-2022, 07:45   #67

Hi All
Got a call from the shop that the throttle body has fixed the problem. Will go this week to pick it up and give it a test run to confirm. Will let you all know!
Les
Old 13-06-2022, 08:59   #68

Quote:
Hi All
Got a call from the shop that the throttle body has fixed the problem. Will go this week to pick it up and give it a test run to confirm. Will let you all know!
Les
Glad to hear of it.
Hopefully you'll get some longevity out of it.
Boatyarddog
Old 19-06-2022, 07:16   #69

Bad news. Took boat out yesterday. Ran for 10 minutes and then died. I assume that the diagnostic was correct and that there is something else wrong in addition to that? To say the least, I am extremely disappointed that the shop did not do a proper test run of the engine. Back to square one.
I am getting to dislike outboard motors...
Old 19-06-2022, 09:56   #70

Quote:
Bad news. Took boat out yesterday. Ran for 10 minutes and then died. I assume that the diagnostic was correct and that there is something else wrong in addition to that? To say the least, I am extremely disappointed that the shop did not do a proper test run of the engine. Back to square one.
I am getting to dislike outboard motors...
How frustrating!
Any red Lites again?
They may have run it in the yard or a tank.
This engine obviously needs a Long test under load.

The Only consolation here is a warranty on the diagnosis, probably not the part though.
Intermittent problems can be hard to diagnose.
However, this issue seems regular enough to catch.

We have a policy to retest errant diagnosis for free.
Any idea what is missing?
Spark okay, pressurized fuel in the line?
Does it restart?
Boatyarddog
Old 19-06-2022, 16:02   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
How frustrating!
Any red Lites again?
They may have run it in the yard or a tank.
This engine obviously needs a Long test under load.

The Only consolation here is a warranty on the diagnosis, probably not the part though.
Intermittent problems can be hard to diagnose.
However, this issue seems regular enough to catch.

We have a policy to retest errant diagnosis for free.
Any idea what is missing?
Spark okay, pressurized fuel in the line?
Does it restart?
Boatyarddog
Hi Again BYD!
Red light on. Fuel bulb felt pretty firm. Coolant stream (pee tube) running fine. Engine would not restart right after it died, but if I left it off for 20 mins or so, it would restart. Starts easy, runs perfectly for a while, then bogs down at medium to full throttle. Then won't run at all. One time it did seem to idle for longer than it would run at full throttle. I am beginning to wonder if one of the previous posters was right about overheating and cooling passages being clogged.
But I think I just have to start over with them. Probably follow that advice to get the diagnostic on it again.
It is such a pain. Not just the money and the lost sail time, but that thing is a PITA to take off. Crawling into the underbelly of the cockpit to detach the wires and hauling that thing off the motor mount - takes two people, it is not easy, and usually someone gets a finger pinched or a cut!
Old 19-06-2022, 17:05   #72

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Did you take the thermostat cover off and and remove the thermostat to see if you had water flow through the block?
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2022, 19:56   #73

[QUOTE=lestersails;3641499]Hi Again BYD!
Red light on. Fuel bulb felt pretty firm. Coolant stream (pee tube) running fine. Engine would not restart right after it died, but if I left it off for 20 mins or so, it would restart. Starts easy, runs perfectly for a while, then bogs down at medium to full throttle. Then won't run at all. One time it did seem to idle for longer than it would run at full throttle. I am beginning to wonder if one of the previous posters was right about overheating and cooling passages being clogged.
But I think I just have to start over with them. Probably follow that advice to get the diagnostic on it again.
It is such a pain. Not just the money and the lost sail time, but that thing is a PITA to take off. Crawling into the underbelly of the cockpit to detach the wires and hauling that thing off the motor mount - takes two people, it is not easy, and usually someone gets a finger pinched or a cut![/

Ask them to run it in a tank under load, all day, if needed, to prove it's fixed next time!
I do not believe their assumption was correct, maybe in part, but certainly not totally.
So sorry for your troubles.
Boatyarddog
Old 21-06-2022, 11:24   #74

Went back out to the boat yesterday. Had it tied up on a slip. Started motor, it started very easily. Left it on idle and it ran smoothly for >30 mins. After that first half hour, I revved it in neutral and it was missing and red light came on in < 30 seconds. Ran roughly for a couple minutes then quit.
Took it back to the shop.
Will let you know!
Old 21-06-2022, 11:30   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Did you take the thermostat cover off and and remove the thermostat to see if you had water flow through the block?
Thanks for your note Bill! I have not done this - the thermostat cover is behind the throttle body and it would involve a lot of disassembly to do this. I will ask the shop to look at this.