Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2022, 09:38   #1

Synthetic oil

I have a Hyundai Seasall diesel engine in my boat. I am wondering what the consensus is on using synthetic oils in a diesel engine.

I'm sure there are threads pertaining to my query and I will be searching the forum and contacting the manufacturer. I am asking to see if there's any new responses.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Cdndewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 10:33   #2

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Synthetic oil

For over 40 years I have used Mobile Delvac I in all reciprocating engines I have owned; cars, lawn mowers, boat motors, snow blowers, etc.

It is especially effective in boat engines (gas and diesel) and small air-cooled engines that operate at high loads or high temperatures. The wheels will fall off a $100 lawn mower before the engine wears out.

It is really great in automobiles that live in cold climates.

Anyway, from a technical perspective, you can go online and find out why synthetic motor oils are so effective.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 10:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdndewey View Post
I have a Hyundai Seasall diesel engine in my boat. I am wondering what the consensus is on using synthetic oils in a diesel engine.

I'm sure there are threads pertaining to my query and I will be searching the forum and contacting the manufacturer. I am asking to see if there's any new responses.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Actually, the red ^^^ is the ONLY thing worth doing. Don't you have a manual for your engine? Can you not find it online if you don't? What "consensus" may be about synthetic oils is immaterial, whatever may apply for MY engine has NO bearing whatsoever on YOUR engine (unless we have the same engine, and we don't).

I think you'll find that replies are 50/50 if you read enough, there's certainly plenty already posted on this forum about this subject. Those who promote it SHOULD HAVE NOTED whether or not the manufacturers of THEIR engine recommend it or not.

If not, you should ask yourself, "Why not?"
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 12:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Actually, the red ^^^ is the ONLY thing worth doing. Don't you have a manual for your engine? Can you not find it online if you don't? What "consensus" may be about synthetic oils is immaterial, whatever may apply for MY engine has NO bearing whatsoever on YOUR engine (unless we have the same engine, and we don't).

I think you'll find that replies are 50/50 if you read enough, there's certainly plenty already posted on this forum about this subject. Those who promote it SHOULD HAVE NOTED whether or not the manufacturers of THEIR engine recommend it or not.

The manual doesn't specify...."and contact the manufacturer "....which I have done and am waiting on reply.
Old 16-01-2022, 14:07   #5

Quote:
...Those who promote it SHOULD HAVE NOTED whether or not the manufacturers of THEIR engine recommend it or not.

Normally there are oil specifications that are called out in the owners manual. In most, but not all, pure synthetics meet and exceed these specifications.
Old 16-01-2022, 18:30   #6

Quote:

Those who promote it SHOULD HAVE NOTED whether or not the manufacturers of THEIR engine recommend it or not.

+1
Doesn't matter what any of us thinks of synthetic oil.

Check your manufacturer's specs in the Owner's or Service Manual and use what the manufacturer specifies. Simple.

LW77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 18:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
+1

Check your manufacturer's specs in the Owner's or Service Manual and use what the manufacturer specifies. Simple.

LW77
All the manufacturers specs that are in the manual are for what grades to be used in certain temperatures.
There is nothing about fossil or synthetic.
Not that simple.
Old 17-01-2022, 13:12   #8

Quote:
+1

LW77
Why not use an oil that exceeds the manufacturers specs yielding longer change intervals, less oil burn, greater reduction in wear for longer engine life, and better performance in extreme conditions (cold starts for a car and maybe a firewalled throttle to claw off a lee shore.)
Old 17-01-2022, 13:30   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

1 minute search
https://marineproboats.ru/upload/ibl...01b3d690c8.pdf

API CI – 4 and higher SAE 15W-40 -15°C above
CASTROL RX DIESEL 15W-40 CI-4/E7
Mobil Delvac TM Genuine CI-4 PLUS Oil 15W-40
for you synthetic example
https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/...xtreme-15w-40/
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 15:04   #10

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
+1

LW77
My owner's manual and service manual date to 1978 (Volvo MD11C). This is way before synthetic oil existed. The oil they recommend has been obsolete for decades. If we assume you can use newer, non-synthetic oil which you must since the recommended oil no longer exists, it is a valid question to ask about synthetic oil.
Old 17-01-2022, 15:08   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
1 minute search
https://marineproboats.ru/upload/ibl...01b3d690c8.pdf

API CI – 4 and higher SAE 15W-40 -15°C above
CASTROL RX DIESEL 15W-40 CI-4/E7
Mobil Delvac TM Genuine CI-4 PLUS Oil 15W-40
for you synthetic example
https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/...xtreme-15w-40/
Thanks, but that manual's not for my engine, I have a U model.
I have the manual for it.
Old 17-01-2022, 15:17   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
and
some engine some oil use
read operation manual CHAPTER 7 LUBRICATION SYSTEM
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 15:25   #13
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
My owner's manual and service manual date to 1978 (Volvo MD11C). This is way before synthetic oil existed. The oil they recommend has been obsolete for decades. If we assume you can use newer, non-synthetic oil which you must since the recommended oil no longer exists, it is a valid question to ask about synthetic oil.

Synthetic oil has been in use well before WW2 and commercially to the general public since the 70's. Generally a manufacturer will not specify a specific brand but rather a minimum standard like API FA-4,CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4 for instance and weight for temperature range (today with multi-grade oils). When an older standard is retired you can cross reference it with an updated standard. These standards will also reference compatibility and interchangeability. One thing you should note is that API does not specify 'full synthetic' or 'synthetic' from their standards as most synthetic oil is derived from crude oil and is refined into a base oil then modified and marketed as 'synthetic'. While synthetic oils do have their uses especially in high performance engines and extreme cold applications IMO your boat engine with fairly constant temps and minimal hours of use (sailboat) the cost is not justified as you should be changing annually before off season layup regardless of how long the manufacturers says the oil is good for. Viscosity breakdown aside your engine components will still be sitting in fouled oil for the off season. Oil changes are one of the cheapest annual maintenance costs you can have on a boat.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 15:31   #14
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:

Manual for model U says -15'c and above SAE 15w40 API CH4 and above. Go to your nearest automotive center find diesel oil with 15w40 and turn it over and read the back.

I pulled this from Walmart website Castrol GTX diesel - Engineered to provide superior performance under severe service conditions including towing and hauling under high temperatures. Applicable for on and off-road 4-stroke trucks, gasoline, and diesel light trucks and passenger cars. Meets or exceeds API standards CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF, SL or SJ, MB 228.1, Ford WSS-2C171-D and ACEA B3. Remember to consult your owner’s manual to help decide if this product is best for you.

Find and oil that available near you and read the standards on the one you have available.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 16:26   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

was watching a youtube show about a guy running bacon grease in a lawn mower engine and comparing the same engine with regular oil...the engine seemed to run fine with either one ????

Pork 10W-50R (rind), New slogan... "provides superior service and smells good doing it....Pork....that's the one !!!"
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil