Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2014, 15:45   #1
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Teleflex controls friction adjustable?

I had the local diesel guys install new dual controls for our twin Yanmars. So far, I'm not very happy with this product. It was installed less than a year ago and has been maybe 10 sea miles from where it was installed. The chrome finish is bubbling and starting to flake.

That's cosmetic, I know, but when someone charges you $700 for something like that I think it should last longer than a year.

The main reason I am writing this is to ask if anyone knows anything about adjusting friction on these controls. All I can find on the side of it says "Teleflex Marine". No model, nothing else. It's simple, dual controls with cables. I can get the diesels up to about 2500 rpm and if I let go of the lever it will go immediately back to around 2000 RPM. It feels like it needs a friction brake. I pulled it off the binnacle and looked inside, without disconnecting anything, and I can't find any obvious friction adjustment.
Anyone know anything about this?

And if not, what should I replace it with that does have a friction adjustment?