Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2015, 17:50   #136

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: The case of the intermittent water cooling system

If there is enough room, remove the engine and trans as one.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:06   #137

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Found the pesky little buggers!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1441284815.404269.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	108368
I didn't think that big collar was part of the shaft coupling as it's so much larger than the pictures on the Internet, but the transmission diagram made clear that that is the attachment. Have them soaking in pb blaster now, wiped on rather than sprayed to avoid getting anything in the trans gaskets. Here's hoping!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:52   #138

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Be careful lifting as you can very easily ruin the oil pan. I have read that they are very thin so make sure you have something between the jack and the pan to spread the load. It would be much better to lift from above if at all possible.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:04   #139

Yup! I'm going to try to avoid touching the oil pan at all. I'm hoping to get the business end of a crow/pry bar under the mount arm and lever up enough to slide the plywood in.
Got those four bolts out, and the packing gland nut loose, but can't push the prop shaft and coupling back off the transmission yet, as Maine sail suggests: http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/pss_shaft_seal. Taking out the bolts fixing the mounts to the stringers now, and will try moving the engine forward to separate.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:04   #140

I might even be able to lift these corners by hand, time shall tell!

Old 03-09-2015, 09:03   #141

The case of the intermittent water cooling system

So, all bolts are removed, the pry bar is working great, I will have to finesse around removing the engine without shearing the oil dipstick as Pearson cut out a little notch for it in the stringers (they must have lifted it in rather than slid it), but unfortunately the prop shaft coupling is still connected to the transmission, even though the four bolts are out. Lifting the engine corners moves the shaft around and causes the stuffing box to leak, so I know the packing gland is loose, but I don't want to risk damaging the transmission by doing this. Any thoughts?

Old 03-09-2015, 11:40   #142

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Is your prop shaft connected to your transmission with a flange bolted to the transmission flange? The shaft will slide into the flange and be held in place with a set screw or two and a key in a key way. If it hasn't been disconnected in a very long time it will need to be persuaded to separate with heat or pounding. Don't try to move the engine and transmission with it still attached because you might cause damage to the shaft or the transmission.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:44   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Is your prop shaft connected to your transmission with a flange bolted to the transmission flange? The shaft will slide into the flange and be held in place with a set screw or two and a key in a key way. If it hasn't been disconnected in a very long time it will need to be persuaded to separate with heat or pounding. Don't try to move the engine and transmission with it still attached because you might cause damage to the shaft or the transmission.
I just noticed your photo. It is a bit different than I've experienced. I'll leave advice to the experts on that particular brand of flange What are the two bolts on the side of the flange where the propshaft slides in? Can those be loosened?
Old 03-09-2015, 12:05   #144

Hi John - thanks for the advice! It's a weird one to be sure, and doesn't look at all like what I've seen in other people's transmission/coupling projects. The shaft is smooth all the way around into the coupling - so no keyway. The two rectangular looking things are, I believe, the set screws securing the shaft in the coupling. The four bolts are what should secure the coupling to the transmission flange. Part of what's bizarre is that that coupling then has that huge round flange on it, the bolts passed through this into the transmission flange. Around the huge round flange are screws set in rubber pads - no idea what these are for and have never seen them referenced. Le sigh ...

I've pinned the engine in place and put a safety line on it just in case any Mem Day boat wakes rock me back and forth, and am definitely not trying to move the engine until that coupling is disengaged. I hope I get there eventually!
Old 03-09-2015, 12:39   #145

Have you removed the shaft set screws and drenched the holes with penetrating oil? If there is no key way then a big pipe wrench or two ought to free up the shaft where it slips into the large flange. If there is a key way you can't see and is inside the flange then that won't work. The huge flange might be a dampening or flexible coupling system. I don't know. I just haven't seen one that looks like that.

Take care not to scar the shaft.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:53   #146

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Just found it via google image search. It's a Federal Marine coupling. Couldn't find a good drawing though. Most likely there's a radius in the engine coupling that fits into the flexible coupling and they are rusted together. If you can get a screwdriver or an old wood chisel between the engine flange and the coupling, a few light taps should loosen things up. You may have to work around the circumference to get it all the way off. Be careful, the flange can be somewhat brittle.

The dipstick appears to be bolted on, it may be easier to remove it than try and work around it...

Federal marine flex cplg
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 14:18   #147

Wow, thanks Jim and John! I should be able to do this without removing the shaft from the coupling. No need buying another coupling if I don't need it! I'll look into that flexible coupling and see if I can find more about it - and hey, I had no idea I had a flexible coupling, that's extra! The PO should definitely have asked for more money for the boat!

Old 03-09-2015, 15:38   #148

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Fxbqsg&cad=rja

This drawing may help.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 16:39   #149

Thanks Frz! I've wiped the transmission flange on the coupling with PB Blaster, being careful to avoid the gasket, and will keep doing this for a while, I imagine. I've also got a call out to the company to see what they recommend. Thanks again everyone for your help!
Old 04-09-2015, 16:54   #150

Jim and Deep really helped out on this one. You know that your shaft is keyed so you can't twist it free. It looks as if you could just unbolt/remove the rubber bushings and the whole thing would slide apart?

Interesting piece of gear.

Tags
cooling, water