Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2012, 17:53   #1

Boat: Islander 36
this pulley is kaput

i'm in need of a water pump">raw water pump pulley for my pathfinder 42hp diesel.

a few pictures of what i'm looking for:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9fz3mf.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	51825   Click image for larger version

Name:	313ioes.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	51826  

Name:	2z4iwqv.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	51827   Click image for larger version

Name:	20b1zxd.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	51828  

sailforsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 18:09   #2

Re: this pulley is kaput

Try McMaster.com. http://www.mcmaster.com/#v-belt-pulleys/=ksnxjd
Kusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 18:48   #3

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

That looks like a standard pot metal pulley that you can buy at any hardware store. If it has lasted a long time then maybe that's all you need, however .........

I had one of those on my Onan genset and it about drove me nuts trying to keep it tight on the shaft. If I forgot to check it regularly it would wobble loose, wear the pulley bore and then eventually fly off the shaft. Fortunately the Murphy switch would then shut down the Onan but it was a major PITA. I'm off the boat right now but I have a replacement pulley with a compression hub. They're not easy to find in small diameters and narrow belt widths but they are available. You'll have to find a power transmission house - someone who specializes in conveyor parts would be ideal. It took me a while but I found an image of what you are looking for - you don't need the multiple belt grooves but you'll get the idea. I call it a compression hub pulley but the partsman at whatever counter you find may have to impress you with how smart he is by calling it something else.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Flanged-bushings0896.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	51829  
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 19:30   #4

The diagram of the pulley in the second post is what we call a taper lok pulley. They are quite versatile as 1 hub can fit several outers making size adjustment in the paddock easier.
They are however used more on larger diameter shafts as they have a lot of rotating mass and are more suited to agricultural and other machinery shafts.

The Pathfinder pulley looks like a standard pressed sheet metal pulley. Was it spot welded (the 2 halves) does it have a hub centre piece still on the water pump and it seperated around it?

BTW, taper loks will stay tight as long as the shaft is in pretty good nick and they are tightened using the secret method.
Outwest34au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 20:09   #5

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755
I agree that tapered hubs are more common on larger shafts but I found a hub for a 1/2" shaft and a 4.5" pulley to fit it so the small sizes are out there too
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 20:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
I agree that tapered hubs are more common on larger shafts but I found a hub for a 1/2" shaft and a 4.5" pulley to fit it so the small sizes are out there too

I'm not arguing that fact.
If the shoe fits , any port in a storm.

Getting out of trouble is the name of the game.
Old 28-12-2012, 20:15   #7

Maybe someone more clued up can tell us if the VW Rabbit (our old Golf here) pulley will do the job?
Old 28-12-2012, 20:38   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Deja vu! I thought I'd never see one of those again. Have you tried contacting Pathfinder? The pulley's are unique to Pathfinder.

If nothing else one can bore and sleeve the old pulley to fit. I see you even have the original pump. This is what I did to mine and some other CF member's motor so the pump impeller could be accessed w/o having to pull the pump.
I machined the old pulley down to make the hub for the new setup.

Pathfinder Marine, Canada.
514-695-6676
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	40eng5.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	51835  
Old 28-12-2012, 21:39   #9

Boat: Islander 36

I've called Pathfinder several times and haven't reached anyone yet. I'm beginning to think they are no longer in business. I've just purchased this boat and it worries me that the only distributor of parts for the engine is mia?

Delmarrey, I'd love to see more pictures of your setup, as I've also thought it ridiculous that the pump be removed to check/change the impeller. Do you have a write-up of the modification? This pulley and pump need to be replaced, so now's the time for improvement.
sailforsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 22:04   #10

The Pathfinders have a variety of raw water pumps. Some are on the rear in what looks like a distributor fitting in the block. Mine was suspended in front, direct drive from the crankshaft. Sick. So there is no standard part. It's a real problem. Mine had other problems so it became part of a mooring block. Sorry for your trouble.

I recall. vaguely, that the Pathfinder supplier quit. But others may know more... There was an expensive membership requirement, among other problems.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 22:14   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

You might try emailing them but personally I would look to replacing with a different engine.

pathfinder@pathfindermarine.com
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 22:16   #12

Yeah, most of the parts I bought in the later years were from VW dealers, BowWow and wrecking yards. The last straw was when the timing idler pulley seized up and threw the timing belt. That was a $1000 fix. But now I have a Yanmar.

Do take in your old fresh water pump with, if you need a new one. They make a few different shaft lengths. There are still a lot of VW parts dealers out there. Just google "VW engine head".

Since the old pump is not available anymore I wet to a Jabsco one size up from the original. Then built this mounting bracket to hold it in backwards. The old pump would have still worked if I had it. The other one I retro fit still had the old pump.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	40eng1.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	51837   Click image for larger version

Name:	40eng3.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	51838  

Name:	40eng4.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	51839   Click image for larger version

Name:	pump2.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	51840  

Old 28-12-2012, 22:19   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
You might try emailing them but personally I would look to replacing with a different engine.

pathfinder@pathfindermarine.com

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 22:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
I recall. vaguely, that the Pathfinder supplier quit. But others may know more... There was an expensive membership requirement, among other problems.
Yeah, I paid the $50 membership and never heard back from the guy again. They just want to sell you new motors.
Old 28-12-2012, 22:32   #15

OK, simple. Forget the obsolete and near impossible to get.
Just go buy a newq external generic pump and make the external mount. You might piss and moan now but I am sure later on down the track it will make life easy.
Even if you are in timbuctu you can fab a bracket with some flat bar and make it suit whatever belt you can get easily at every corner store.
Maybe thats easiest? Maybe chase the rabbit bits?