Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2008, 12:35   #1

Throttle Control on Pedestal

The PO reversed the direction of the throttle control on the pedestal (ie. when you push out, the trottle closes). Why would someone do this? I had assumed there was a stripped part and reversing it allowed for not having to replace the part. Now I want to tackle fixing this. How does one get access to this area? The only screws I can find are where the pedestal through-bolts in the cockpit sole and the small ones where the compass screws in up top? Is this likely to be a large job to tackle?
drh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 12:55   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I assume this is the round Edson pedestal?

http://www.edsonmarine.com/support/P...910CONTROL.pdf

http://www.edsonmarine.com/support/P...eringGuide.pdf
Old 27-01-2008, 13:12   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh1965 View Post
The PO reversed the direction of the throttle control on the pedestal (ie. when you push out, the trottle closes). Why would someone do this? I had assumed there was a stripped part and reversing it allowed for not having to replace the part. Now I want to tackle fixing this. How does one get access to this area? The only screws I can find are where the pedestal through-bolts in the cockpit sole and the small ones where the compass screws in up top? Is this likely to be a large job to tackle?
Can't help with your query - but made me recall the happy memories of the boat I had with remote engine controls on an outboard.

For space reasons (a small boat!) these were fitted sideways (Port to Starboard - instead of the usual fore and aft). and also had one lever for throttle and a seperate lever for Forward and Reverse.

It drove me bananas - so you have my sympathies
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 13:57   #4

Location: On Board - Currently - Heading back to SF Bay from Mexico.
Boat: Valiant 50 - Raptor Dance
Send a message via Skype™ to RaptorDance
DRH1965 - How is your engine mounted? Do you have a V Drive?

We have a V drive on our boat so the "front" of the engine is aft and the "back" of the engine is forward. Our throttle cable comes down from our pedestal and does a 180 degree turn before going to the engine.

On a boat with a similar set up to ours, the end of the cable was damaged so the owner shortened the cable and eliminated the 180 turn. Thus what was a push aft on the throttle on the engine became a push forward - thus the reversing of the motion.

Check the engine end of your cable and see how it's run.

I've not poked around in a Newport 28II engine area, are there other owners on the net who can comment?
SV Raptor Dance - Valiant 50 #107
Bill Finkelstein & Mary Mack
https://raptordance.com
RaptorDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 13:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I think so... I can't find any labels on the thing. I just see that Newports originally cam with Edson Pedestals.
Old 27-01-2008, 13:59   #6

Location: On Board - Currently - Heading back to SF Bay from Mexico.
Boat: Valiant 50 - Raptor Dance
Send a message via Skype™ to RaptorDance
Oh and yes, to get access to the area you come in through the top. Remove the compass (make sure you index it's position before you remove it - we use a "Sharpie" marking pen) and work your way down.

On our pedestal, you start by removing the compass light housing.
SV Raptor Dance - Valiant 50 #107
Bill Finkelstein & Mary Mack
https://raptordance.com
RaptorDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 14:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorDance View Post
DRH1965 - How is your engine mounted? Do you have a V Drive?

We have a V drive on our boat so the "front" of the engine is aft and the "back" of the engine is forward. Our throttle cable comes down from our pedestal and does a 180 degree turn before going to the engine.

On a boat with a similar set up to ours, the end of the cable was damaged so the owner shortened the cable and eliminated the 180 turn. Thus what was a push aft on the throttle on the engine became a push forward - thus the reversing of the motion.

Check the engine end of your cable and see how it's run.

I've not poked around in a Newport 28II engine area, are there other owners on the net who can comment?
Its not a v-drive but it seems probable that something similar happened.

Thanks!
Old 27-01-2008, 14:24   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Lewmar throttle pod...

On Boracay the throttle pod is made by Lewmar (When I looked they seemed to be the only makers.).

We have a flat plate that the compass and the guards fit through.

These are screws in the flat plate that hold the throttle pod in position.

Removing those screws allows the pod to be moved slightly, just enough to access the rest of the mounting screws.

Once half of the throttle pod has been removed the internal workings of the throttle pod can be accessed.

It is then not difficult to change the direction of the throttle/gearbox movement.

The main thing to watch out for is not to loose any of the many unique tiny parts that are only replaceable by buying a complete new assembly.

If this is you and you need more info let me know and I will get some photos etc.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 18:54   #9

Newport 28's were fitted with the Universal 18 in a standard configuration. It's possible you have a Meriman pedestal. or Yacht Specialties. Some of these only allow one direction of travel on the throttle lever. As stated pull the compas and it will all become clear from there.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 19:49   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I have the same problem and I have a Yacht specialties pedestal. I have had it apart and there is no adjustment in it. If I want to change the throw it will need to be done on the engine. I have become used to it and like the idea of pushing the lever forward in a panic situation.
Old 28-01-2008, 05:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
Newport 28's were fitted with the Universal 18 in a standard configuration. It's possible you have a Meriman pedestal. or Yacht Specialties. Some of these only allow one direction of travel on the throttle lever. As stated pull the compas and it will all become clear from there.
I looked at some photos on the net and I believe you are right, it is a Merriman pedestal. Seeing that parts are impossible to get, I think I might just leave it alone. Are there parts in there that require lubrication? I would assume so?

Thanks!
Old 28-01-2008, 17:22   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
On Boracay the throttle pod is made by Lewmar (When I looked they seemed to be the only makers.).

We have a flat plate that the compass and the guards fit through.

These are screws in the flat plate that hold the throttle pod in position.

Removing those screws allows the pod to be moved slightly, just enough to access the rest of the mounting screws.

Once half of the throttle pod has been removed the internal workings of the throttle pod can be accessed.

It is then not difficult to change the direction of the throttle/gearbox movement.

The main thing to watch out for is not to loose any of the many unique tiny parts that are only replaceable by buying a complete new assembly.

If this is you and you need more info let me know and I will get some photos etc.
Thanks. I'm going to open up the pedestal this weekend to assess the situation.
Old 01-02-2008, 21:13   #13
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Once you get the Binnacle off, It should be readily apparent if you can change the throw.

Sometimes I would love to put my hands around the neck of the "designers" of some of these vessels.

(ranting light extinguished)
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 14:15   #14

Well, it is a Merriman pedestal. I was able to get the compass off and then it started raining. The throttle controls were not easy to reach. That much I could determine right away.
Old 08-02-2008, 21:21   #15

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh1965 View Post
Well, it is a Merriman pedestal. I was able to get the compass off and then it started raining. The throttle controls were not easy to reach. That much I could determine right away.

See link first Merriman Pedestal Parts - SailNet Community

Doc Freeman died a couple/three years ago and all his stuff got auctioned off. One may just have to make replacement parts or retrofit.

Tags
pedestal