Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2015, 07:49   #1

Throttle Control Problems;-(

We have a dual position control system for the Perkins motor on my motorsailor. Inside control has no problem, but the outside one (or cables?) is playing up...

It appears to be an Ultraflex B85 Side Mount Control. Drops into gear nicely and stays there, but if I gently edge the throttle forward, it now won't stay there there, but instead slowly moves back to idle! Once past a certain point (too far), it will stay put. It does this with gear either engaged or not.

This is a new issue that seemed to start quickly.

I've stripped, lubed and rebuild the controller, but it hasn't helped at all. When disconnected, both gear and throttle cables (Teleflex) move easily. No kinks or sharp bends.

I'm at a loss now, so any ideas would be MOST welcome.
Thanks
dougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:26   #2

Re: Throttle Control Problems;-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougal View Post
We have a dual position control system for the Perkins motor on my motorsailor. Inside control has no problem, but the outside one (or cables?) is playing up...

It appears to be an Ultraflex B85 Side Mount Control. Drops into gear nicely and stays there, but if I gently edge the throttle forward, it now won't stay there there, but instead slowly moves back to idle! Once past a certain point (too far), it will stay put. It does this with gear either engaged or not.

so any ideas would be MOST welcome.
Thanks
Hi, I know it's late to reply to this thread, but did you solve it? I have the same problem too. I read that there is a screw to tighten to adjust the clutch of the ultraflex b85. but I have not found it.
Alfredo
Alfredo Gyziana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:41   #3

This boat is long gone, but i had to replace the entire throttle control AND cables
dougal95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:28   #4

Boat: Dufour 29

For what it is worth, I have encountered somewhat similar problem, which was caused by excessive flex in cables, where the force from the cable inside the tube distorted the outer tube, resulting in a pressure back from the tube that could move the inner cable.
Brioche is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rot