Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2011, 17:15   #1

Boat: UFO34
Tips on Installing a Replacement Wet Exhaust Hose Pipe

I am new to small yacht diesel mechanics and maintenance.

I am about to replace my wet exhaust hose between the engine manifold and the first muffler. The engine is a Yanmar 2GM (13Hp) and the hose is 1 3/4" ID.
The hose is smooth wire re-inforced black rubber compound type that is quite rigid.

My questions are:
1. what is the best way to get the hose onto the fittings; and
2. Is any sealant required between the hose and the manifold and muffler fittings?
I will be putting 2 S/S hose clamps around each end to secure the hose pipe to the manifold and muffler.

Thanks
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 17:22   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Tips on installing a replacement wet exhaust hose pipe

Use a heat gun, pipe wrench, WD-40 squirt in there or a razer blade to remove the hose. Or use all four if it is really stubborn.

No sealant is necessary for installation nor is it desirable. Use dish soap diluted a little if it is too tight to install. Or use a hair dryer (not a heat gun) to heat the end of the hose. Don't use the cheapo hose clamps. Use the type with the nuts that you turn to tighten them (T-Bolt clamps). Double clamp the hose at each end.

Example...
https://www.google.com/search?q=high...w=1510&bih=971

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 18:18   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: Tips on installing a replacement wet exhaust hose pipe

If the bends are very tight then you may be able to get some corrugated exhaust hose for those curves. From memory I did the entire exhaust for Boracay in 4" corrugated.

Prefabricated fibreglass tubes are also available. If you have very long straight runs or difficult curves they may help.

Again from memory I used a smear of liquid soap to get the rubber onto the fittings.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 06:35   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Tips on Installing a Replacement Wet Exhaust Hose Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
The hose is smooth wire re-inforced black rubber compound type that is quite rigid.
This type of exhaust hose gets very stiff as it ages. You may be surprised at how flexible the same hose is when new. Go to the chandlery and bend a bit of it to see if it will work in your application.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 13:25   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41

This is a great tool for helping to remove hoses. I use it to break the bond that has been created by a well seated hose and then I can get the hose off. S & G Tool Aid 13860 Hose Removal Tool

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 17:04   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
This is a great tool for helping to remove hoses. I use it to break the bond that has been created by a well seated hose and then I can get the hose off. S & G Tool Aid 13860 Hose Removal Tool
Geeze Charlie, I wish that you had posted that before we left the states!! That is a really neat tool, and I have needed it about 7000 times in my lifetime of struggling with hoses.

I wonder if it has reached the antipodes yet?

Cheers,

Jim
Old 27-11-2011, 17:15   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41

Hi Jim it is a great tool if you would like me to mail one to you down under let me know. It is angled really well to use leverage to pry the hose off whatever it is clamped to. I couldn't find one locally and had to order it over the internet.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 03:32   #8

Boat: UFO34

Many thanks for all the advice.
The dishwashing liquid worked well.
The hose is a 800mm straight run, and ended up being an easier job than expected, with no water or fumes leaks.
Ashley
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 10:31   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Just saw your post today so will offer advice after the fact. I'm glad you used dishwashing liquid and it worked well. For really stubborn installation where that doesn't work I use what is termed as "personal lubricant" found in your local drug store and it works really well.
kind regards,
Old 25-03-2012, 13:47   #10

Hi all
I am installing five inch hose, with the steel wrapping---from a Cummins diesel--it goes out to a section of rubber, which connects it to an elbow of steel, and then another 6 inches or so of rubber, which connects to another elbow of steel--this last elbow connects to a straight steel run that goes into the muffler, 6 feet later, and then out off the stern of the boat...
i installed two new fuel tanks, and one tank barely fit--very snug, and it misaligns the elbow--the first elbow that is bookended by the two piece of rubber hose (metal spring lined rubber hose) anyway, that hose is extraordinarily stiff and because of the snugness of the new fuel tank, i had to twist the middle elbow about 30 degrees to have it fit around the front of the tank...so, now, it is misaligned by about 4 inches and 4 degrees from the exhaust on the Cummins engine...

So, i can't find much 5 inch hose, and what i find is all very very stiff...

I am thinking that if i switch out the hose on both ends of that first steel elbow, it is possible that i could get them lined up to fit--but maybe not...
the other possibility is buying 4 feet of hose, and losing the steel elbow and just bending the hose around to fit onto the outlet at the engine and the line of the old pipe going to the exhaust...
But the hose is 24.00 at per foot at West Marine (cheeper at a dealer but the dealer is 1 hour away--and with the fuel that comes out about the same!)

anyway, i am not really sure if the 4 foot section will bend sufficiently to fit between the two pipes, and if i buy less hose, i am not really sure that two sections of shorter hose will work either--

I wish there were some flexible five inch wet exhaust hose out there...

does anyone have any ideas...the corrugated sounds good if i could buy it in five inch
thanks
Glide
Glide2277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 04:06   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

You don't say which boat you have or which engine. 5" exhaust hose sounds real big for most engines that you would find in a yacht.

4" could be easier but it's probably too late for that. What about fabricating (or having fabricated) custom joining pieces?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 10:42   #12

Sorry--my boat is a 26 foot US Navy personnel boat that i purchased at a GSA auction...the engine is a Cummins 5.9mbt six cylinder...The five inch pipe does seem very large--but it comes out of the Cummins at 5 inches--and then 7 feet or so later goes into the muffler at 5 inches--so probably can't change that--i am really looking for a solutiopn that does not include paying someone to bend pipe or mfg fittings--really hoping for something off the shelf or a junk yard solution...headed out to the yards this morning...thanks to all--please feel free to chime in!
thanks.
Glide2277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 10:47   #13

Boat: 48 Californian

Is it dry stacked or wet? If wet, having an elbow that will fit will be you safest option.
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 11:03   #14

With rubber hose it would be wet exhaust right?. Yeah even 3.5" is real hard to bend. There are various fiberglass elbows available, check out a good marine supplier like Fisheries supply etc. It's a real bitch for sure. A good boat yard might make you a custom elbow from fiberglass, or a marine exhaust shop can make one out of stainless.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust