Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2017, 20:19   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam
Tips please on repairing diffucult raw water pump

My wonderful machine shop rebuilt my

Jabsco water pump">raw water pump and left the outer ring of the old bearing in the housing.

So when looking down into the bearing housing I see the outer ring in the bottom near the water seal.

Question: How do you remove it?
I was thinking the housing needs to be turned on a lathe.

Question 2. The brass appears to be flaking off around the water seal. This appears to be an insert which doesnt want to come out. Is there a way to drill this area larger insert a ring?

Or should I just chuck this waterpump and keep only the new one already on order?

Photos to follow if I can get camera working.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 23:44   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Tips please on repairing diffucult raw water pump

Never mind..... I found this on another thread

At 2,000 hours I suggest that you just replace the raw water pump. This is about the official service life of a brass rubber impeller pump.

I think my pump has in excess of 4000 hours and is not worth rebuilding. I am going to save the rebuild kits ordered for the new pump.
Old 06-01-2017, 15:33   #3
Marine Service Provider

I took the pump to the local Friday cruisers dinner and several more experienced cruisers had a look at it. They explained to me that I was looking at brazing from a previous repair and not a brass insert. The brazing was done poorly and was flaking off.

Before brazing the area was not properly prepared. Further after brazing a new hole for the water seal was drilled and filings were not removed. The result was the filings led to the early failure.

Recommendations were to go to a different machine shop that does a better job rebrazing.

I am in agreement it would be nice to have a complete new working pump for a spare instead of having to wait to rebuild the new one already enroute.
Old 06-01-2017, 15:35   #4
Marine Service Provider

Perhaps the correct word is rebronzing and not rebrazing? Do they use a bronze or brass welding stick for this?

I found on this page several types of soldering sticks.

Which is the proper stick for this type of repair on a Jabsco bronze pump body?

Brass and Bronze Welding

Please take into account in your suggestion I am in Philippines and an obscure hard to source stick may not be available. So a second best suggestion is appreciated.

I suspect the previous repair was a low or high brass stick since it is very shinny.

Here is another page with a variety of soldering sticks.

BRONZE & BRASS Welding Electrodes & other Welding Supplies by ALCAM - Charleston, SC

Alcam # 15 is a phosphorous bronze arc electrode ideal for build-up on bronzes and ferrous metals providing exceptional wear and corrosion resistance.

The Alcam #16 is a bronze electrode custom designed for high strength and even wear resistance on a variety of metals. The #16 produces a harder deposit that is still machinable.
Old 10-01-2017, 20:06   #5
Marine Service Provider

I took my pump to a different machine shop and the owner had bronze electrodes which he will use to rebronze the face of the pump and around the water seal. After my new seals arrive he will machine the exact diameter to match.

I understand in the States a rebuild like this is less likely since machine shop costs are so high. That leads people to throw away pumps which would be repaired in places like the Philippines.
Old 10-01-2017, 21:19   #6

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I've just rebuilt my Jabsco. 2000+ hours and it was absolutely fine.

OK, I lied a little, the wear plate was so worn I actually thought it had been machine embossed with the path of the impeller. But I don't know where this 2000 hours thing comes from.

There are some bearings, a rubber impeller, a compression cam and a wear plate. I'd like a new wear plate, sure, it is a bit thinner now I re-faced it, but there does not seem to be anything else to wear out. Maybe it has honed itself out to slightly higher bore, but I did a careful flow test on it and it slightly exceeds the manufacturer's stated flow of 40 litres per minute @ 1000 rpm, so I am happy enough to keep using it.

Certainly do not feel the urge to go out and blow AU$600 + on a new one.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:10   #7

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

depcopump.com

Get a new one...These folks have everything pump related

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:54   #8

The same amount of wear that happened to the plate also happened to the opposite side of the impeller housing. One can be replaced readily, the other requires a new pump body.

When the pump housing is excessively worn, typical first symptoms are difficulty getting the pump too self-prime. If you can get it primed and keep it wet, it will still run for a good long time.

Personally, after 2k hrs I don't think it owes you anything.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, raw water, raw water pump, water