Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2023, 16:41   #16

Boat: Columbia 36
Re: Too Many Engine Hours?

How it was used and maintained is way more important than hours. Since you have no way of knowing that, a survey is a good idea. And even that is not absolute.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 17:38   #17

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II

[QUOTE=sailorboy1]You think your used boat isn't going to depreciate
That's so cute (Quote)

Of course it is going to depreciate. That is not my question. I'm speaking about the difficulty of selling a boat with higher engine hours, as I won't be owning her for that many years. I have owned boats for 34 years, but never one with this many hours, so selling one with 5000+ hours would be new to me. I'm soliciting information to help me decide if pursuing this boat makes sense for me, given the constraint of selling her in only a few years.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 17:54   #18
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

you could try to get an engine survey.
Old 11-08-2023, 18:19   #19

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
Thank you for your input Sailorboy1. I am asking in relation to hours in general. For example, I would not care how well an auto engine was cared for, if the car had 135,000 miles on it, I'd likely not purchase.

I would certainly get an engine survey, what I'm wondering is if 4500 hours is approaching the point when folks start thinking of replacing the engine?
I think that the care, use, and abuse, does play into the decision about the engine.

An abused engine might need to be replaced or rebuilt at 4500 hours.
A well cared for engine is probably goof for many more years at 4500.

So the hours, by themselves, do not tell the whole story.

My engine (Yanmar 3JH) is 30 years old and has about 6700 hours. It runs fine, does not use oil, and seems OK. But it needs some work, I know, like new hoses, valve job, etc. At least the oil has been changed regularly, and it has been run gently (too gently, in the opinion of some). So, evaluate the engine in light of the overall condition ofo the boat, get an engine survey if you can, and go for it if it looks good.
Old 11-08-2023, 18:35   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Someone knowledgeable about engines will not be worried about engine hours by themselves. Lots of diesels go over 10,000 hrs. without difficulty. A guy we know with a at the time 45 yr. old Gardiner diesel, was told nothing needed to be done to it with 20,000 hrs, by Gardiner themselves. Now, those were made to give long service, and our little marine diesels are not built to those standards.

The engine oil analysis will tell you something, but honestly, it would have to be torn down to assess it fully, and at that point, while it is already apart, is when you would decide what to address with it, if anything. Can you comfortably handle that expense? or the work?

I don't think numerous engine hours would deter everyone, but it would deter someone who never kept an engine over 5,000 hrs. You yourself have thought of being deterred. Others might feel the same. We have bought our two cruising boats and kept them both over the 5,000 hrs on an engine mark. (One, we had lived aboard and were blue water cruising for 18 yrs., and the other, same use, for 20 yrs. Jim and I have done all our maintenance ourselves. Ymmv.)

Ann
Old 11-08-2023, 18:42   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
. I have owned boats for 34 years, but never one with this many hours, so selling one with 5000+ hours would be new to me. I'm soliciting information to help me decide if pursuing this boat makes sense for me, given the constraint of selling her in only a few years.
5000 hours will very likely be a discussion with a potential buyer. The resolution will depend on other condition factors but you can safely bet a potential buyer will, rightly or wrongly, broach the topic of high hours. Will that alone tank a sale or keep someone from even looking at the boat? I doubt it
.......if it's priced right.

As myself and others have said, 5000 engine hours are not necessarily high hours. But that is not the common perspective amongst many buyers. Buy it at an attractive price and plan to sell it at a similarly attractive price. If current seller isn't sympathetic, you're in a tough spot - either walk or plan on possibly taking a loss.

I'd bet good money that, unless the boat is new to market, you would not be the first to highlight high engine hours as a concern.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 19:07   #22

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If high engine hours (and I don't think 4500 falls into this category myself) is a worry to you relative to resale, use that worry to negotiate a price that would allow you to offer a similar discount to a future buyer.

Jim
Old 12-08-2023, 00:43   #23

Boat: Jeanneau 52.2, Merit 25

Personally a boat that age with too few hours would scare me off (assuming it’s the original engine).
Swift Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 03:27   #24

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II

Thank you all for your much appreciated input, but some other factors have arisen that will result in me walking away for this boat.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2023, 06:38   #25

Yanmar says they’re good for about 10 000 hours. Injectors cleaned every 2000 hours , injector pump at 5000 hours. But that only works if the engines are not maltreated. Long periods of idling , clean fuel , regular use , oil changes , proper cooling etc all have big effects on how long the engine will last. In short , get an oil analysis and a survey by a competent mechanic which will give you a better idea of how much life is left in that engine.
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2023, 07:15   #26

Boat: Parkstone Bay 21

I concur with what many people have said.
First of all, ALL leisure boat engines, bar none, suffer not from overuse, but UNDERuse. The engine hours, as stated, really don't matter. A piece of plant (eg a digger or forklift) using a similar small diesel engine, may work 30 hours a week 50 weeks a year (=1500 hrs/yr), with no more than fuel fill and lube oil top up.
More important questions, I suggest, are:
1. Has she been regularly maintained, specifically oil and fuel filters changed at, ideally 1, but max 2 year intervals, and sump oil changed at same time? The air filter needs to be kept clean, that's the most common cause of dirty diesel exhaust.
2. General condition of the "ancillaries", pipework, electric wiring, engine mounts, heat exchanger.
Are there obviously unattended leaks of fuel, oil, water, or air?
3. Is she a turbo? Turbos have their own issues.

A problem bigger than her hours, I suggest, may be getting bits for repairs that are needed.
parkstone bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2023, 08:04   #27

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

Basic engine policy for boat purchase:

Does engins smoke at cold start?

If yes, deduct price of rebuild or new engine from price, buy boat, and go sailing.

If no, buy boat, and go sailing
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2023, 08:15   #28

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfislandfred View Post
Basic engine policy for boat purchase:

Does engins smoke at cold start?

If yes, deduct price of rebuild or new engine from price, buy boat, and go sailing.

If no, buy boat, and go sailing
?
Our Yanmar smokes on cold start. Once warm, no longer smokes. Has done so for past 3000 hours since we purchased (now over 6000 hrs). 3 different mechanics 2 different countries have told us this is normal for our particular Yanmar.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2023, 08:29   #29

They can run from 4500 to 10000 hours roughly. Who knows.

You might get a engine survey for a piece of mind.

I will say around 4500 hours usually reflects on the price of a boat. Under 2000 hours is great.
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2023, 08:37   #30

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

I have bought many boats with engines that smoke. Might indicate high hours, might indicate a fuel issue. If the smoke clears when the engine warms up, I don't worry about it. I've never had a problem with an engine that runs clean after it warms up.

I will still expect a discount on price, compared to an engine that doesn't smoke.

Same with hull blisters. If they're not deep, I may or may not do anything about them, have never had a structural issue later from surface blisters, but I would expect to pay less for a boat with blisters, compared to a boat with no blisters.

Price is not based on logic.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine