Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2005, 16:14   #1

Send a message via AIM to 1sailaway Send a message via Yahoo to 1sailaway
Question Too many Experts

Everyone I ask has a different opinion. Here's the story. I have a 1977 Islander Freeport 41. The original engine was a nissan 40 or 50 HP Diesel, not sure. The previous owner replaced it with a Nissan SD-33 100HP. Now given this information, what changes should have taken place after this tranformation? I have been told that I am overpowered, if so, is this bad, good or indifferent? My main concern is a. What size prop should I have? b. Do I have to get a larger alternator? Have I damaged the engine in any way? etc.... If anyone out there has sufficient knowledge and experience Please contact me.

Thanks in advance,
Rene
1sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 00:06   #2

Boat: Jeanneua 36
Re: Too many Experts

if a 100 hp fitted in, ok well its all ways good to have the extra power in reserve,BUT would still only be good for shaft and prop married to a 50 hp.so a lot of wasted fuel,some of the nissans only put out 60 to 70 at the working end,its good to have a proper marine alt. as the car ones doesn't use all its grunt all the time.
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 02:39   #3

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

The original post is now 11 years old. The boat owner would have worked out all the things by now.
However the question is a valid one for those who put bigger (read "with more power) engines in their boat, certainly when the HP is doubled, the following could be considered:
- certainly change of prop
- check with a marine engineer if the gearbox is up to it
- likely upgrade of prop shaft in diameter or stronger material
- likely upgrade of the heat exchanger
- alternator? a larger engine does not 'use' more electrical power, except for the startermotor, this can be sorted later, after the installation
- possibly better ventilation of engine room/space as the engine needs more air when revved
- possibly bigger diameter seawater hoses and with that, a larger skinfitting, as the raw/sea water pump on the engine is bigger
- possibly a larger primary fuel filter, if the old one was the right size or undersized
- unlikely bigger fuel tanks, as the 50HP of the old engine was using a similar amount of fuel as the new engine when running at the same output. And I assume here that 50HP is enough for 90% of the time.
Old 28-04-2016, 05:43   #4

Yeah, I'm thinking that after 11 years the OP has got this figured out.

Nonetheless, there are some significant issues with grossly over-sizing the auxiliary as in the original question--and, yes, 100hp is grossly over-sized for a sailboat that displaces 11 tons.

Hank mentioned some of the biggies; prop shaft, heat exchanger, exhaust all have to be considered. Beyond that, in calm conditions it is only going to take 15-20hp to move the boat at hull speed. Going into wind and waves it might need 45-50hp at most. Meaning that you are either going to be constantly running the engine at just above idle speeds, which is bad for a diesel engine in the long-run, or you are going to be wasting huge amounts of fuel running the engine at higher speeds just to push the bow wave a little harder. Not really a good situation.

Oh yeah, and the engine probably weighs nearly twice as much as an appropriately sized one, so you're carrying a few hundred pounds of extra weight in the stern for no good reason. Extra weight, extra expense, extra fuel; all for no benefit whatsoever.

I really do not understand why so many people out there think that putting a huge engine in a sailboat is a good idea. It is a SAILBOAT, for God's sake! You're not going to go skiing behind it! And, of course, they think these gigantic engines make the boat worth so much more than a smaller one would when, in reality, for those who understand the drawbacks, it makes the boat worth so much less.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 07:39   #5

Boat: Vagabond 14

No... He's still waiting for the answer with the boat tied to the pier.

TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote