Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 14:31   #16

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: Tools needed to Repower

Italian 4 letter word phrase book

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 14:33   #17

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

Splash day is a ways off yet so its not worth getting the beers aboard just yet, they will get drunk or go flat by then. Maybe another 5-7 months, and then the timing is lousy as I dont want to launch just as we go into winter.
Old 08-04-2011, 15:07   #18

Boat: grampian 26

Skill, knowledge and patience?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 17:02   #19

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Amazed no one listed the most important item: A credit card.

Adding to above list; flashlight, set of files, fine sandpaper, ruler, clip light, 47 screwdrivers, old wood chisel for scraping, magnetic pick up thing to retrieve items lost in bilge, Grabby claw thing to retrieve magnetic pick up thing dropped in bilge when attempting to retrieve aforementioned items, small digital camera (or camera phone) to take picture as you go so you can figure out how it looked before as you are trying to put it back together, a few boxes of Nitral gloves, small inspection mirror, extra bulb for clip light to replace the one you break when that stubborn nut breaks free and you smash the light with your elbow, 1/2" drill motor with wire wheel, something to use as a breaker bar on your largest socket drive handle, knuckle bandages for when you use that breaker bar, a bottle of Ibuprofen, water proof grease, Lanocoat anti seize, rags rags rags, lots of small plastic containers like old butter tubs to hold hardware and catch misl fluids, a funnel, continuity tester, some real pry bars (not screwdrivers), a quart of clean diesel for rinsing stuff, 1" blue masking tape and a sharpie for marking wires, wire ties, ....

sheesh, I'm worn out. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2011, 17:37   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

how about a team of sumo wrestlers to man handle the thing into the boat and then....

when i did mine, i used a block and tackle line for pulling old engine out of main saloon, i used about 50 plastic garbage bags for prevention of oil seeping into my teak and holly sole and i used a few sockets and combination wrenches and a lot of pb blaster and hammer and only me n a skinny old man for the wrestling of it into the hole-- oh yes-- a long 4X4 for use as a beam for hauling the bulk up and plaCING iTO hole for engine.....

min didnt cost much--i am too cheap to use the credit card for more than opening locked doors....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 17:47   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
A real drill...

You'll need a real drill and a decent set of drill bits.

By a real drill I mean one that works on Italian power and laughs at hicups like running a 1/2" bit through 1/2" of steel. A cheap drill can work real well but needs to be well tested before taking halfway round the world.

The money needs to go on high quality drill bits, 1/8" to 1/2", have a couple of 3/16" and 5mm and 1/4" and 6, 7 and 8mm, not to mention 19, 25 and 32mm wood spades and hole saws from 1/2" to 2". If in doubt go for the imperial rather than metric - sightly larger holes...). Also some way of sharpening them. Did I mention centre punch and digital calipers?

A good quality small electric screwdriver and a few hundred each of 8/10g SS screws from 1/2" to 2" plus a selection of 3/16" SS machine screw from 1" to 2" and nyloc nuts. Add in 1/4' bolts from 1 1/2" to 4" with nyloc nuts.

Has anyone mentioned SS clamps and hose in a range of sizes. Replacing the exhaust hose and mufler should be an option, not to mention all fuel hoses and the filters.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 17:53   #22
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

Please when you get on the airplane check your tool box in.

Please don't try to carry it on and swing it over my head into the overhead storage......Hah-Hah_OW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 19:06   #23

Charlie,
I accept plane tickets
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 21:14   #24

Consider de-greasing the compartment and painting with bright white epoxy paint. You'll be happy you did.

Torches and FRP boats are incompatible.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 22:33   #25

Boat: N/M 45

An engine leveler - it makes raising and lowering the old and new engine particularly straight forward for hitting the mounts.

I used the one I bought ($55 at Napa Auto Parts) a lot for my repower.

- rob/beetle
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:58   #26

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Tools needed to Repower

I would point out that some of the finest machinery in the world comes from Italy. It's beyond my imagination that you couldn't find a well-qualified guy who already owns all the tools to do the job. Since you're talking about next year anyway, save up some more money.

Buona fortuna!
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:09   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

elbow grease and a sky hook
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:59   #28

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Tools Needed to Repower

I just finished pulling the Volvo MD17C out of Sabre Dance yesterday. The job took a days worth of prep work, the cutting and installation of a cockpit access hatch, one forklift with extension forks, a lifting eye for the fork end, a 1 ton chain fall, 3 x 5/16 shackles, a foot of 3/8 proof chain and a few pieces of 2x4 hard wood.

I spent the prep time undoing the shaft coupling, pushing the shaft as far back as I could, disconnecting the linkages and electrical wiring. Finally I removed the bolts holding the mounts to the bearers (left in two until the morning of the lift for safety)

Yesterday morning, I put the forklift alongside, with the extension fork centered over the access panel. The engine is partially under the bridge deck so once the chainfall had taken up a goodly amount of load, a 2x4 used as a lever moved the engine back on its bearers as the chainfall took up the load. The engine then slid off the bearers and back into the access area. On hind sight a snubbing line should have been attached to the front mounts to hold the engine and let it swing back slowly but I forgot that part as I was short handed. (IE Me and me alone). Anyway once the engine was centered in the access hatch, up it went, til it came snug against the chainfall. Unfortunately there wasn't quite enough clearance over the coamings so the engine was set down on the 2x4s across the cockpit seats, the chainfall was removed along with the center shackle and the extension fork was then brought down to slide under the chain. Engine was lifted, forklift backed up and the engine was neatly deposited on its ready made cradle on the ground. Piece o cake. Including removing the fuel tank to make room for the engine to come out, the whole process took about 1.5 hours plus the prep time.

SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:03   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Tools Needed to Repower

awesome!!! i did mine on a mooring--was a challenge, to say the least..goood work!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repower